Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: African-American Superdelegates being threatend?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

African-American Superdelegates being threatend?

[url]http://www.kdbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=7945164&nav=menu608_2_6[/url]

Can you imagine if white voters did this with white superdelegates?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mallamalla;2413999][url]http://www.kdbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=7945164&nav=menu608_2_6[/url]

Can you imagine if white voters did this with white superdelegates?[/QUOTE]

Hillary was the first black first lady.:yes:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Company_Man;2419394]Hillary was the first black first lady.:yes:[/QUOTE]

do you know what is even the most amazing thing about that? the woman who penned clinton as the first black president, toni morrisson, actually endorsed Obama. I guess after 8 years of Bill doing all that he could to fit in with the black community was worth nothing since he wasnt born black. I guess voting solely based on race is completely acceptable? I would love to start a thread stating I am voting for McCain because he is a white male and see the things people come up with.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    any Super Delegate that "hands" Hillary the nomination over the will of the electorate, black white or otherwise will have a very tough time come re-election time.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mallamalla;2419400]do you know what is even the most amazing thing about that? the woman who penned clinton as the first black president, toni morrisson, actually endorsed Obama. I guess after 8 years of Bill doing all that he could to fit in with the black community was worth nothing since he wasnt born black. [/QUOTE]

Fitting in? In Chapaqua LI, where the total black population is 0?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2419407]any Super Delegate that "hands" Hillary the nomination over the will of the electorate, black white or otherwise will have a very tough time come re-election time.[/QUOTE]

Serious question--

What posessed Florida and Michigan to hold early primaries after being warned not to?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2419407]any Super Delegate that "hands" Hillary the nomination over the will of the electorate, black white or otherwise will have a very tough time come re-election time.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you, which is why I posted this article. It would be a shame if a superdelegate went against the wishes of their constitunencies.

Or how bout any black superdelegate that "hands" Obama the nomination over the will of the electorate for the simple reason that they are compelled to go for their own?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Company_Man;2419414]Serious question--

What posessed Florida and Michigan to hold early primaries after being warned not to?[/QUOTE]

i think it's the same as anyone who breaks any rule, they wanted something extra (in this case to be more in the spotlight) and didn't think they'd suffer any consequences. I've heard that the FLA people are really victims because the governor was GOP and moved both primaries... have to double check on that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mallamalla;2419400]do you know what is even the most amazing thing about that? the woman who penned clinton as the first black president, toni morrisson, actually endorsed Obama. I guess after 8 years of Bill doing all that he could to fit in with the black community was worth nothing since he wasnt born black. I guess voting solely based on race is completely acceptable? I would love to start a thread stating I am voting for McCain because he is a white male and see the things people come up with.[/QUOTE]

You need to go back and read the article in which she called him the first black president. It was not an endorsement, per se. It had more to do with the way he was being persecuted over sexual dalliances at the time than any overarching praise of his civil-rights policies or whatever.

Also, I wonder why you think that she endorsed Obama only because he's black. Or do you just assume that anytime a black person says something nice about another black person that its only based on race?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Company_Man;2419411]Fitting in? In Chapaqua LI, where the total black population is 0?[/QUOTE]

Chappaqua is not in Long Island.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2419666]You need to go back and read the article in which she called him the first black president. It was not an endorsement, per se. It had more to do with the way he was being persecuted over sexual dalliances at the time than any overarching praise of his civil-rights policies or whatever.

Also, I wonder why you think that she endorsed Obama only because he's black. Or do you just assume that anytime a black person says something nice about another black person that its only based on race?[/QUOTE]

Toni Morrisson had an incredible relationship with the Clinton's, per her own admissions. What could Obama have done in his two years as Senator (most of which he was campaigning to be president) that could possibly make a woman like Toni Morrison endorse him over her? Hmmmm. Don't be so naive. Obama has even said that he will be responsible for blacks coming out in record numbers to the polls and they will all vote for him. I can provide you a link if youd like. In my opinion these comments are entirely racist by Obama, assuming that blacks will vote for him because they share a common skin tone.

What troubles me about this article is that it now seems superdelegates are [U]expected[/U] to follow this racist trend of sticking by their own,

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2419666]

Also, I wonder why you think that she endorsed Obama only because he's black. Or do you just assume that anytime a black person says something nice about another black person that its only based on race?[/QUOTE]

Withoug assuming, why do you think Obama is getting 88% of the black vote when on policy there is so little between them and every other minority is breaking much more down the middle between the two?

Obama is a serious candidate nothing at all wrong with anyone supporting him on either substance or charachter but the democratic campaign is about more than charachter and substance and everyone knows it even though nobody really wants to have a serious, open conversation about it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the States that give out delegates based on a caucus system are not representing "the will of the people" if you really look at the numbers that vote in them and understand how votes are counted in them. Any pledged delegate that came out of a cacus system likely represents the will of the people less than the elected officials who make up Super Delegates.

You keep talking about rules and than you mix up rules with "will of the people" I know you want Obama at all costs and if Hillary was to go into the end with equal, one more or one less delegate you would cry foul but you seem to want Florida and Michigan out of the equation and Super Delegates to vote the will of the people. Which is it?

Just a question, If Edwards gives his delegates to Obama and that gives him the delegates needed to nominate, is that "the will of the people"?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mallamalla;2419400]do you know what is even the most amazing thing about that? [B]the woman who penned clinton as the first black president, toni morrisson, actually endorsed Obama. I guess after 8 years of Bill doing all that he could to fit in with the black community was worth nothing since he wasnt born black. [/B]I guess voting solely based on race is completely acceptable? I would love to start a thread stating I am voting for McCain because he is a white male and see the things people come up with.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe she actually prefers Obama to Clintons [U]wife[/U]?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2420372]Withoug assuming, why do you think Obama is getting 88% of the black vote when on policy there is so little between them and every other minority is breaking much more down the middle between the two?

Obama is a serious candidate nothing at all wrong with anyone supporting him on either substance or charachter but the democratic campaign is about more than charachter and substance and everyone knows it even though nobody really wants to have a serious, open conversation about it.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, whats wrong with voting for someone because he is the same race as you ?

Is it wrong for Italian-Americans to support Guiliani(dont forget 9/11) because he has the same etnicity?

Or Jewish Americans voting for Lieberman because he shares the same religion??

This is a nation of immigrants and while most try to blend in and become "American", there still is a great deal of pride associated with seeing "one of your own" rise to the highest position in the world. Especially when you consider for the last 230 yrs or so outside of JFK all of our Presidents have been male WASPs. (Hell, even Pakistan and India had elected women as their leaders...pretty pathetic its taken the USA so long)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2420421]Seriously, whats wrong with voting for someone because he is the same race as you ?

Is it wrong for Italian-Americans to support Guiliani(dont forget 9/11) because he has the same etnicity?

This is a nation of immigrants and while most try to blend in and become "American", there still is a great deal of pride associated with seeing "one of your own" rise to the highest position in the world. Especially when you consider for the last 230 yrs or so outside of JFK all of our Presidents have been male WASPs. (Hell, even Pakistan and India had elected women as their leaders...pretty pathetic its taken the USA so long)[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with it at all in a democracy you can vote for someone because of race, creed or religion. If the shoe was on the other foot you would be in a foaming rant. It is what it is.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 03-08-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2419666]

Blacks are overwhelmingly supporting Obama, because he is Black. That is an assumption and I'm comfortable with that assumption.

Blacks overwhelmingly supported the OJ acquittal. If race [I]wasn't[/I] the reason, then I can only assume that they are retarded.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2420421]Seriously, whats wrong with voting for someone because he is the same race as you ?

This is a nation of immigrants and while most try to blend in and become "American", there still is a great deal of pride associated with seeing "one of your own" rise to the highest position in the world. Especially when you consider for the last 230 yrs or so outside of JFK all of our Presidents have been male WASPs. (Hell, even Pakistan and India had elected women as their leaders...pretty pathetic its taken the USA so long)[/QUOTE]

Those "groups don't scream racisim at every turn.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2420523]Nothing wrong with it at all in a democracy you can vote for someone because of race, creed or religion. If the shoe was on the other foot you would be in a foaming rant. It is what it is.[/QUOTE]

Foaming rant??
    When did people accuse Italians of voting for G9i11iani b/c he too was Italian?
    The only rage i see is coming from you

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2420741]Foaming rant??
    When did people accuse Italians of voting for G9i11iani b/c he too was Italian?
    The only rage i see is coming from you[/QUOTE]

There were numerous NY Times articles on how Italian Democrats were going to cross over and vote for Guilliani over Dinkens when they ran against each other.

I agree with you pride over rational is a democratic right however when Super Delegates get threatened than a line is getting crossed and this is a battle that will walk up to every line before it's through.