Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earn To Learn...Good Idea or Welfare Parenting ??

Hall Of Fame

Earn To Learn...Good Idea or Welfare Parenting ??

[IMG][URL="http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3912810n"]http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3912810n[/URL][/IMG]

CBS) It was a first for Tonia Jones' four children. None has ever had a library card.

"We'll go to the table and fill them out," Jones said.

[B]What did it take to get them to the library?

Fifty dollars ... each[/B], CBS News correspondent Michelle Miller reports.

"I'm a single parent," Jones said. "It's hard out here."

A pilot program called Opportunity NYC pays low-income families cash incentives to do what many say they should be doing anyway.

[B]$25 dollars for attending parent teacher conferences;

$600 for kids passing a standardized test;

$200 for getting a yearly physical;

All told, up to $6,000 a year in cash rewards per family. [/B]

"I don't think it's a bribe," Jones said.

So-called "Learn & Earn" payment programs are spreading.

Private or publicly funded programs exist now in at least 11 states, including Georgia, which pays kids $8 an hour to be tutored after school.

"We cannot continue to do things as we've done them in the past because it is simply not working," said Robb Pitts, the Fulton (Georgia) County Commissioner.

"I think it could end up being the most destructive welfare program ever devised," said Heather Mac Donald of the Manhattan Institute.

Critics say throwing money at the problem won't fix it.

[B]"This is not an economic transaction; it's something that is part of what it means to be a good parent[/B]," Mac Donald said.

But those in favor of the payment programs say it's hard to argue with success. In Dallas, students have been rewarded $100 for passing college prep exams for the past 12 years - with striking results.

"Over 30 percent are scoring over 1100 on the SAT or ACT college equivalent," said Gregg Fleisher of the National Math and Science Initiative.

Said Jones' 17-year-old daughter, Gigi Martino.[B] "I don't do it for the money." [/B]

Already No. 1 in her class, [B]Gigi will earn a $400 bonus just for graduating high school. [/B]

"I want to make my future better," Martino said. "Getting an education, doing the right thing and going to college are the best way out."

And $400 toward tuition doesn't hurt.
    Last edited by Phoenixx; 03-06-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Banned
    When I was a kid, it was Earn to Not Learn with my father.

If I didn't do well in school, I earned an ass-kicking.

Is it ideal? Of course not - parents should be doing this already.

If it gets results, is it worth the money? Absolutely

This country's in sad shape if we have to bribe parents to do their job.

I think it sets a bad precedent and further increases the welfare state. Also, people who do better themselves are compensated in the end, anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    what a joke...

Jets Insider VIP
    What if, instead, they took that money and put it into an account the student could use to help pay for college tuition?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2416551]What if, instead, they took that money and put it into an account the student could use to help pay for college tuition?[/QUOTE]

What if, instead, they sterilized the Parents and took their current kids away..

All Pro
    [QUOTE=CTM;2416662]What if, instead, they sterilized the Parents and took their current kids away..[/QUOTE]

I am not for this idea, but you cannot counter (although we have all thought it at times) with an idea that takes away one of the fundamental principles of human rights. We are allowed to reproduce. Does that mean all parents do it well? Of course not, but unfortunately that is not an option, and nobody should think it is. You talk about less government, well who do you think would enforce such an idea?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2416692]I am not for this idea, but you cannot counter (although we have all thought it at times) with an idea that takes away one of the fundamental principles of human rights. We are allowed to reproduce. Does that mean all parents do it well? Of course not, but unfortunately that is not an option, and nobody should think it is. You talk about less government, well who do you think would enforce such an idea?[/QUOTE]

I wasn't serious..

I'd much rather let market forces dictate and let these kids compete with illegals for dishwashing jobs..

Hey, I get the idea, invest in them now and they make us more money in the higher tax returns, right? Well the world needs ditch diggers too..

Another thought, why not just adopt that philosophy to everything. Like, lets pay people now to lose weight and exercise, since it'll certainly cut down on long term health costs.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=CTM;2416714]Another thought, why not just adopt that philosophy to everything. Like, lets pay people now to lose weight and exercise, since it'll certainly cut down on long term health costs.[/QUOTE]

I have mentioned this before. I think tax incentives for those reaching some sort of exercise or workout standard would be a great idea. On top of that, tax the crap out of fast food...similar to what they do with cigarettes.

America would be a much healthier place and health care costs would drop significantly.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=parafly;2416755]I have mentioned this before. I think tax incentives for those reaching some sort of exercise or workout standard would be a great idea. On top of that, tax the crap out of fast food...similar to what they do with cigarettes.

America would be a much healthier place and health care costs would drop significantly.[/QUOTE]

Well, if this is serious, with a Dim coming into office, I prolly picked the wrong year to start my diet..

re: taxing fast food. I think I can get behind that, given the mess we are in with the deficit. But where do you draw the line in terms of what is fast food? Also, wouldn't that extra tax kind of be regressive?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=CTM;2416662]What if, instead, they sterilized the Parents and took their current kids away..[/QUOTE]

That's a bit harsh...;)

I was serious, for once. Think about it. If we encouraged students, from schools who have a high drop out rate, to be more involved in their education by starting tuition accounts for them based on performance...wouldn't the govt. get it's money back and more by having another higher educated taxpayer on it's rolls? Chances are, with a better education, they would get higher paying jobs and hence pay more in taxes...

I mean, anything is better than them growing up and surviving solely on welfare and drug distribution proceeds, right?

[quote=CTM;2416714]I wasn't serious..

I'd much rather let market forces dictate and let these kids compete with illegals for dishwashing jobs..

Hey, I get the idea, invest in them now and they make us more money in the higher tax returns, right? Well the world needs ditch diggers too..

Another thought, why not just adopt that philosophy to everything. Like, lets pay people now to lose weight and exercise, since it'll certainly cut down on long term health costs.[/quote]

There's a real difference when it comes to kids and their education - which is that kids [B]aren't[/B] mature enough to make the right decisions 90% of the time and [B]aren't[/B] mature enough for "personal responsibility" to be a particularly useful guide in determining social policy for dealing with childrens' issues.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=CTM;2416819]re: taxing fast food. I think I can get behind that, given the mess we are in with the deficit. But where do you draw the line in terms of what is fast food? Also, wouldn't that extra tax kind of be regressive?[/QUOTE]

I admit it is a hard line to define. Maybe based on some sort of nutritional value criteria?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2416999]There's a real difference when it comes to kids and their education - which is that kids [B]aren't[/B] mature enough to make the right decisions 90% of the time and [B]aren't[/B] mature enough for "personal responsibility" to be a particularly useful guide in determining social policy for dealing with childrens' issues.[/QUOTE]

So why reward the parents for making their kids do the right thing?

By the same token, maybe we should fine kids who don’t do what they’re supposed to?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2417052]By the same token, maybe we should fine kids who don’t do what they’re supposed to?[/QUOTE]

No, it's much better to reward people for doing the wrong thing.

Can't wait till these kids get a job after getting conditioned to expect bonuses for doing what they are supposed to be doing..

We could use these tactics to lower our prison population. $500 every week they don't commit a crime. ;)

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2417052]By the same token, maybe we should fine kids who don’t do what they’re supposed to?[/QUOTE]

I hate the cash incentives idea, but I can't argue with the results. I absolutely agree with your post though. If you're going to get rewarded with proper behavior, then you should also get fined for wrong behavior.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=treehorn;2417103]I hate the cash incentives idea, but I can't argue with the results. I absolutely agree with your post though. If you're going to get rewarded with proper behavior, then you should also get fined for wrong behavior.[/QUOTE]

It's just an extension of what's been happening in American households, reward kids for what doing what they should do, rather then punish them for not doing what they're supposed to do. It's been flipped upside down from 30 years ago..

Imo, we were much better off the old way, but we'll see..

I raise my kids the old way, and I can't wait till they eat these other sissies alive when they're older.. :yes: