Thread: Citi Field walls are huge.

Citi Field walls are huge.

It's not "Green Monster" huge, but it's still pretty big. I had no idea it was going to be that big, did you?

http://www.metsblog.com/

Mar 6, 2008 1:06 pm - PSL: The Wall is Tall

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

…the Mets have altered the shape of a back field here in the complex to reflect the exact dimensions of Citi Field…

…if you recall from my tour of Citi Field, the wall in left-center and in right-center will be close to 18 feet high…

…i took a picture of myself from behind the wall, on the field here in St. Lucie to try and give you a sense of just how tall it will be…keep in mind, i’m only 5’ 8”, but still, you get that picture…

…it’s no joke…it’s huge…there will be no spectacular Endy Chavez catches against this sucker…at least not without a ladder…
    Notice here...

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-06-2008 at 06:26 PM.

More views.

Looks like it is about the same size as Jacobs Field left field wall (19 feet) Citi Field's wall is 18 feet.

I took that tour last season at Shea. The walls are big, (supposedly Johan was very impressed by that), but one thing that is pretty cool is that the first few rows of the Upper Deck Right field bleachers will be suspended over the Right field wall. I think they said the 6th row (not positive) will be directly above the wall. So those first few rows will be pretty cool.

Seems like the walls are high in left field, left-center, and right-center by the bullpen. It might even be higher by the bullpen, with the 3 MLB logos.

I'm aware of it, but im trying not to make too much of an opinion until I see how the field plays. Personally I'm not a fan of high walls though because it A) Takes the fans further away from the field and B) The most exciting Defensive play is robbing a Home Run and it prevents that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I'm aware of it, but im trying not to make too much of an opinion until I see how the field plays. Personally I'm not a fan of high walls though because it A) Takes the fans further away from the field and B) The most exciting Defensive play is robbing a Home Run and it prevents that.
    Seems like the spots with a low fence is where no fans are. Batters eye and bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Seems like the spots that with a low fence is where no fans are.
    Pretty much, their justification is that they don't want any Fan Interference. If so, then don't put any seats within 2 feet of the wall then, don't make the wall 18 feet tall.

i'm thinking it may very well wind up being more of a pitchers park than shea.......which i like. i hate cheap homeruns

Something I would keep an eye on with a high wall are the people in the back rows right above the wall and the upper decks in left field, are they going to have a blind spot?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-06-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon View Post
    i'm thinking it may very well wind up being more of a pitchers park than shea.......which i like. i hate cheap homeruns
    I'm okay with them when the Yankees are hitting them.

Anyways, looks like a nice stadium, and definitely a good pitchers park. Should be helpful for flyball pitchers big time.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I'm okay with them when the Yankees are hitting them.

Anyways, looks like a nice stadium, and definitely a good pitchers park. Should be helpful for flyball pitchers big time.

yeah well, if the yankees had to play in that sh*thole in philly you'd quit liking them. pop-up homeruns are gay.

Jets Insider VIP
    Damn, the Mets must be really concerned about Santana's 33 gopher balls last year so they raised the fences.

I know they wanted this to be a pitcher-friendly park but this is a little too much. The dimensions are good enough.

I wonder if they did it for advertising purposes so there could be larger signs? Jacobs Field has a scoreboard in the big wall, but the one at Citi does not.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Damn, the Mets must be really concerned about Santana's 33 gopher balls last year so they raised the fences.

I know they wanted this to be a pitcher-friendly park but this is a little too much. The dimensions are good enough.

I wonder if they did it for advertising purposes so there could be larger signs? Jacobs Field has a scoreboard in the big wall, but the one at Citi does not.

the gaps, where it seems these huge walls will be, are already bigger than the ones at shea. citifield is a little shorter down the lines and like 2 feet shorter to dead center. but it's going to be triple heaven for reyes when he gets one in the gap. homeruns are not going to be cheapies there though.

Veteran
    OMG I hope you have half this many posts on an actual baseball forum!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon View Post
    They're really desperate for that first no hitter, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by player1322 View Post
    OMG I hope you have half this many posts on an actual baseball forum!
    "Major League Baseball Talk"

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-08-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post

Something I would keep an eye on with a high wall are the people in the back rows right above the wall and the upper decks in left field, are they going to have a blind spot?
    There will be a blindspot about starting around 6-7 rows back I would assume

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    They're really desperate for that first no hitter, huh?

it would be nice if they get one in shea.