Thread: President Bush Attends Washington International Renewable Energy Conference 2008

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

President Bush Attends Washington International Renewable Energy Conference 2008

[URL="http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2008/03/print/20080305.html"]http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2008/03/print/20080305.html[/URL]

Interesting turnaround for the President... give it a skim.

Here's what stood out for me.

[quote=Bush] My job, as the President of the country, is to put pro-growth policies in place[/quote]

[quote=Bush] I've come today to tell you that America is the kind of country that when they see a problem, we address it head-on. I've set a great goal for our country, and that is to reduce our dependence on oil by investing in technologies that will produce abundant supplies of clean and renewable energy, and at the same time show the world that we're good stewards of the environment. [/quote]

[quote=Bush] Our strategy is twofold: One, we're going to change the way we drive our cars; and two, we'll change the way we power our businesses and homes. In other words, the two most vulnerable areas to economic disruption happens to be automobile use and electric power. The two biggest opportunities to help change the environment is through how we drive our cars and how we power our country.[/quote]

[quote=Bush] the best thing to do is not to retreat from our commitment to alternative fuels, but to spend research and development money on alternatives to ethanol made from other materials -- for example, cellulosic ethanol holds a lot of promise. I'm sure there are people in the industry here that will tell you how far the industry has come in a very quick period of time.

I look forward to the day when Texas ranchers can grow switchgrass on their country, and then have that switchgrass be converted to fuel. I look forward to the day when people in the parts of our country that have got a lot of forests are able to convert wood chips into fuel. And those days are coming. [/quote]

[quote=Bush] This administration is a strong supporter of hydrogen.[/quote]

Too bad they lack the political capital to convince congressional Republicans on many of these issues.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember back in 2001, when Enron was writing our energy policy, Dick Cheney was deriding energy conservation as vanity, and Bush was blaming Clinton for skyrocketing gas prices?

Good times.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2419440]Remember back in 2001, when Enron was writing our energy policy, Dick Cheney was deriding energy conservation as vanity, and Bush was blaming Clinton for skyrocketing gas prices?

Good times.[/QUOTE]

That's why this speech was so incredible to me...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bush]One, we're going to change the way we drive our cars[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzeiMJQrvk[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bigalbarracuda;2419471]That's why this speech was so incredible to me...[/QUOTE]

Incredible is one word for it.