Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you think of the play...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

what do you think of the play...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...,4710848.story

tried to link the story. how do you feel about this type of play in spring training regardless of you fandom to certain teams or hatred of others (the yanks)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a scrub trying to make a team, It's not the players fault, it's the managers for letting it happen. This isn't the 1st time this spring that a team has been irate over a Ray running over a catcher at the plate. Also Madden canít be man enough to answer questions from the media? Did he have to hide in his office? If you think there is no problem with what your player did than stand up to the media, the fans, and baseball and state it. Don't send a messenger to to say you have no comment.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i don't think it's the smartest thing to do , but i can see why he did it. i really can't fault him for it, i mean it is part of the game.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree in just a kid trying to make the team.....not sure how the Manager stops that as I am sure his staff has already given the message that these are just spring games.
    Media overblowing it as usual. I am sure had it been a non Yankee pitcher who had hit the next batter on the first pitch following giving up a mammoth HR as Joba did we'd see the same type story from the NY media.

The Rays had a similar incident when Carl Crawford slammed into Astros catcher Humberto Quintero, jarring the ball loose, in the fourth inning of a game. Astros manager Cecil Cooper didn't take issue with it, saying, "We'd do the same thing if it was our situation."

Non-story.
    Last edited by chad101; 03-09-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post

Non-story.

only reason it really got made a story is because the guy broke his wrist.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like you guys said, Media once again trying to drive public reaction.

it's simple, a Ray is probably going to get plunked. End of story. That's just how it's dealt with.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Girardi, stop crying. God damn.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Girardi, stop crying. God damn.
    Giradi is just doing his job, standing up for his players, but if this play isn't considered a dirty play, then there is really nothing to complain about.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think this is a story made up by the media, Girardi clearly was no not happy about the play the second it happened, you could see it on his face, but again I don't think it's the players fault, it was a clean play, that is how it is done, if it's the regular season than it's a non story, but this kind of stuff shouldn't happen in spring training, it was instinctive play, so I'm not going to say it's a dirty play, because it wasn't. Maddon came out today to say that is how he tells hiis players to play in Spring Training, philosophical difference than most managers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't see the play, but if it was a clean play and was just the result of a kid trying to make a team playing hard, then I think you just have to chalk it up to Injuries are Part of the Game and move on. I for one would never tell the kids not to play hard. You want them going at it hard 100% of the time weather it's the first spring game or the last game of the season.

The actions of both the managers were wrong though IMO. Maddon should have defended his player and his actions because he did nothing wrong and Girardi needs to realize that his guys are playing hard too trying to make an impression on the coaches, and that injuries are just an unfortunate byproduct of the game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Girardi shouldn't complain. This isn't T-ball.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound View Post
    Girardi shouldn't complain. This isn't T-ball.
    He has all the right in the world to complain, he isn't the first manager to complain this week about the Rays

Here is another managers take on it.

A few enterprising New York reporters went over to ask a neutral party, Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire, what he thought.

Gardenhire said such a play is not the norm for spring training but he can understand how it happens.

“It’s instinctive,” he said. “But you’re sad to see somebody get hurt like that in spring training.”

Gardenhire said he doesn’t put on any contact plays in spring training or bring his infield in. He also warns his third base coach not to take any unnecessary risks that could result in collisions.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-09-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    He has all the right in the world to complain, he isn't the first manager to complain this week about the Rays.

Where did I say he didn't have the right to complain? I said he shouldn't have. It wasn't justified.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where did I say he didn't have the right to complain? I said he shouldn't have. It wasn't justified.
    How wasn't it justified?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How wasn't it justified?
    because it was a clean and hard play. there was nothing wrong with it. take off the skirt -- guys get hurt sometimes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    because it was a clean and hard play. there was nothing wrong with it. take off the skirt -- guys get hurt sometimes.
    That kind of stuff shouldn't happen in spring training, that is the way it is, if it wasn't than guys like Girardi and Cooper (Astros manager) wouldn't get pissed off about it.

and if it should happen, than why do managers like Rod Gardenhire tell his players not to do it?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That kind of stuff shouldn't happen in spring training, that is the way it is, if it wasn't than guys like Girardi and Cooper (Astros manager) wouldn't get pissed off about it.

and if it should happen, than why do managers like Rod Gardenhire tell his players not to do it?
    People can get as pissed off as they want. They're still wrong.

The guy is trying to make a name for himself and he engaged in a clean play. Therefore, there is nothing to speak out against. Girardi is wrong. He's emotional about the injury. I understand that part. He's still wrong.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    People can get as pissed off as they want. They're still wrong.

The guy is trying to make a name for himself and he engaged in a clean play. Therefore, there is nothing to speak out against. Girardi is wrong. He's emotional about the injury. I understand that part. He's still wrong.
    I don't blame the player, because manager didn't tell him the right way to play in spring training, because there is a difference between how you manage a spring training game and a regular season game, weather you like it or not.

A. Do not take out the 2nd basemen to break up a double play
    B. Do not send message pitches.
    C. Do not ram the catcher

Joe Maddon is wrong, not Joe Girardi. Joe Maddon never played in the major leagues, Girardi who has, knows how things are done....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has all the right in the world to complain, he isn't the first manager to complain this week about the Rays

How is Gardenhire's quote complaining?
    Let it go homer. Cecil Cooper played the game and is a manager and said that's how the game is played.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    How is Gardenhire's quote complaining?
    Let it go homer.
    You read my post wrong

Retard.

Cecil Cooper (Astros manager) complained about Carl Crawford ramming his catcher early in the week, not Gardenhire.