Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: This could be trouble for the trolls on this board....

Board Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

OT: This could be trouble for the trolls on this board....

[url]http://www.wtvq.com/content/midatlantic/tvq/video.PrintView.-content-articles-TVQ-2008-03-05-0011.html[/url]

[SIZE="2"]Kentucky Lawmaker Wants to Make Anonymous Internet Posting Illegal[/SIZE]

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 - 11:11 PM Updated: 12:40 PM

Kentucky Representative Tim Couch filed a bill this week to make anonymous posting online illegal.

The bill would require anyone who contributes to a website to register their real name, address and e-mail address with that site.

Their full name would be used anytime a comment is posted.

If the bill becomes law, the website operator would have to pay if someone was allowed to post anonymously on their site. The fine would be five-hundred dollars for a first offense and one-thousand dollars for each offense after that.

Representative Couch says he filed the bill in hopes of cutting down on online bullying. He says that has especially been a problem in his Eastern Kentucky district.

Action News 36 asked people what they thought about the bill.

Some said they felt it was a violation of First Amendment rights. Others say it is a good tool toward eliminating online harassment.

Represntative Couch says enforcing this bill if it became law would be a challenge.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bad news for Kelly too. :P

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's about time! Nothing like posting from the safety of your mom's basement.
    Btw, I am posting this from your mom's basement. (Not directed at anyone in particular.)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no way this will happen. It would finish hundreds of websites if not thousands.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is it about rednecks that they don't support the constitution?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2423495]There is no way this will happen. It would finish hundreds of websites if not thousands.[/QUOTE]

And you think thats a consideration? I really doubt that lawmakers are overly concerned that some dorky gamer's blog is going to go out of business.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If these politician jerkoffs wanted to really HELP anyone by trying to bend their
    obsolete ways of thinking and law around the 21st century, they'd go after the REAL problem on the internet - SPAM.

SO you know why they don't?
    Hmmmmm?

Little guess?

Because the SPam industry is HUGE and puts money in their pockets.
    THAT'S why there's still spam.

Message boards offer NOTHING to these politicians, so they don't care.
    Remember, folks. The politicians are NOT interested in helping YOU.

Board Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vilma;2423481]
    Representative Couch says he filed the bill in hopes of cutting down on online bullying. [B]He says that has especially been a problem in his Eastern Kentucky district.[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

Damn those people must be a bunch of sissy's! Online Bullying? They need a lawmaker to put an end to, online bullying? I'm speechless!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The most feared words ever spoken are:

"We're from the government and we're here to help!"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ya think Arlen Specter will jump on board?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2423515]Ya think Arlen Specter will jump on board?[/QUOTE]

No he's too busy dealing with real criminals. :yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vilma;2423481][url]http://www.wtvq.com/content/midatlantic/tvq/video.PrintView.-content-articles-TVQ-2008-03-05-0011.html[/url]

[SIZE="2"]Kentucky Lawmaker Wants to Make Anonymous Internet Posting Illegal[/SIZE]

[B]Kentucky Representative Tim Couch[/B] filed a bill this week to make anonymous posting online illegal.

The bill would require anyone who contributes to a website to register their real name, address and e-mail address with that site.

If the bill becomes law, the website operator would have to pay if someone was allowed to post anonymously on their site. The fine would be five-hundred dollars for a first offense and one-thousand dollars for each offense after that.

Representative Couch says he filed the bill in hopes of cutting down on online bullying. He says that has especially been a problem in his Eastern Kentucky district.

Some said they felt it was a violation of First Amendment rights. Others say it is a good tool toward eliminating online harassment.

Represntative Couch says enforcing this bill if it became law would be a challenge.[/QUOTE]

hes back!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2423499]And you think thats a consideration? I really doubt that lawmakers are overly concerned that some dorky gamer's blog is going to go out of business.[/QUOTE]

Basically every website today offers a message board...I think gamer's blogs are insignificant compared to what is out there. I can't see people being anxious to provide the addresses everytime they speak on the internet. If this does in fact become law prepare for things to change drastically, and that will ruin a cash cow for many.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2423515]Ya think Arlen Specter will jump on board?[/QUOTE]

No.

He's too busy going after scum bag billicheaters.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vilma;2423481][url]http://www.wtvq.com/content/midatlantic/tvq/video.PrintView.-content-articles-TVQ-2008-03-05-0011.html[/url]

Kentucky Representative [B]Tim Couch [/B]filed a bill this week to make anonymous posting online illegal.

Represntative Couch says enforcing this bill if it became law would be a challenge.[/QUOTE]

Failed as a QB, failed as a lawmaker.

Da-aamn. Beat by 2 mins.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;2423523]Failed as a QB, failed as a lawmaker.

Da-aamn. Beat by 2 mins.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I was scrambling to post once I realized no one mentioned it yet. Your comment was better though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;2423523]Failed as a QB, failed as a lawmaker.

Da-aamn. Beat by 2 mins.[/QUOTE]

Is this the SAME GUY???

Jesus Christ.
    How about we elect some cheerleader as secretary of state?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gagoots;2423497]What is it about rednecks that they don't support the constitution?[/QUOTE]
    If you ever want a wake up call, try having an ethnic name like mine and traveling anywhere in the States outside of NY metro area and California. I even had some scumbag NY State Trooper give me grief on my name when he stopped me in Upstate NY in my college days. There is just this insane level of prejudice and free speech violations that they mask under the banner of "conservatism".

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do you expect from a country founded on slavery and genocide? Freedom?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;2423527]If you ever want a wake up call, try having an ethnic name like mine and traveling anywhere in the States outside of NY metro area and California. I even had some scumbag NY State Trooper give me grief on my name when he stopped me in Upstate NY in my college days. There is just this insane level of prejudice and free speech violations that they mask under the banner of "conservatism".[/QUOTE]

Borgoguy is really your name? :P