Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Barry Zito -- Ouch

  1. #1

    Barry Zito -- Ouch

    I know it's spring training but my god.

    Barry Zito fell to 0-3 this spring after being charged with eight runs -- five earned -- in 3 2/3 innings Monday against the Royals.

    We can imagine the Giants got a stern talking to after committing four errors and giving up 15 runs in this one. Of course, defense and pitching is supposed to be this team's strong suit. Zito still lowered his spring ERA to 17.18 on the day. He walked four and failed to fan a batter. Whatever changes he's made mechanically do not seem to be working.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,679
    I still can't believe he got so much money.

  3. #3
    Chuck Zito couldn't do any worse.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    They are going to be so awful

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,706
    He has absolutely tanked since crossing the bay. That contract is going to haunt that franchise for a good long while.

  6. #6
    Those that bash Omar for not bringing in another pitcher last year have to at least give him credit for not signing this guy. That kind of money really can screw up a franchise for a few years.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan View Post
    Those that bash Omar for not bringing in another pitcher last year have to at least give him credit for not signing this guy. That kind of money really can screw up a franchise for a few years.
    not the Mets

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,832
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    He has absolutely tanked since crossing the bay. That contract is going to haunt that franchise for a good long while.
    Yep. I just thank God the Mets didn't sign him last year... What a disaster he's been...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsWI View Post
    not the Mets
    No? Did the Mo Vaughn signing not have an effect on going after Vlad? God forbid Santana doesn't live up to the hype. You think Minaya will ever be able to sell Wilpon on signing another pitcher for 7 years?

    All teams have budgets. And whether you have the money or not when you make a big money mistake it makes you reluctant the next time. Unless of course you are the Yankees and even they since the Pavano have been reluctant to spend big money on guys from the outside.
    Last edited by sjjetfan; 03-11-2008 at 03:22 AM.

  10. #10
    I had a convo with a friend of mine last year when the mets wouldnt give zito the extra year....this is something like what it went like:

    ME: Dude you are crazy Zito is going t have a sub 3 ERA and win 20 games at Shea

    MY FRIEND: You are crazy, no way he deserves this kind of money

    ME: Come back at the end of the season, and bring hotsause for eating your own words

    Really worked out for me.....thank goodness the guy doesnt call me on it

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    This may go down as the worst signing ever. Even Kevin Brown was good for the first part of his contract. Zito has been garbage, and only figures to get worse.

    (although Mike Hampton to the Rockies was pretty bad too)

  12. #12
    When he was a FA last year, I thought of him as a more durable Ted Lilly. I obviously gave him way too much credit.

  13. #13
    The thing with Zito is for whatever reason he messed with his mechanics after signing that big deal with SF and hasn't been able to find them since. I still have to wonder if he had Rick Peterson there that the results would be different.

    But nonetheless, in hindsight not signing him is looking pretty good.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,679
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan View Post
    No? Did the Mo Vaughn signing not have an effect on going after Vlad? God forbid Santana doesn't live up to the hype. You think Minaya will ever be able to sell Wilpon on signing another pitcher for 7 years?

    All teams have budgets. And whether you have the money or not when you make a big money mistake it makes you reluctant the next time. Unless of course you are the Yankees and even they since the Pavano have been reluctant to spend big money on guys from the outside.
    The Mets did not sign Mo Vaughn. They traded Kevin Appier for him. It wasn't really as bad a trade as people make it out to be.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    The Mets did not sign Mo Vaughn. They traded Kevin Appier for him. It wasn't really as bad a trade as people make it out to be.
    I didn't say they did, but they took on the entire huge contract. Whether Appier was great or not it was a waste of money. They paid him 46 million dollars for 166 games. That isn't a bad trade?
    Last edited by sjjetfan; 03-11-2008 at 05:07 PM.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    The thing with Zito is for whatever reason he messed with his mechanics after signing that big deal with SF and hasn't been able to find them since. I still have to wonder if he had Rick Peterson there that the results would be different.

    But nonetheless, in hindsight not signing him is looking pretty good.
    That's a good point. I never was a huge fan of him, but I figured he would at least get a little better going to the NL.

  17. #17
    Zito, terrible AGAIN.

    6 ers, 5 ip, 3bb, 0k

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,166
    Gotta thank the Giants, they saved the Mets from this mess. Whoosh close one

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us