Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 5 starting rotations for 2008

Top 5 starting rotations for 2008

#1-Padres

#2-DBacks

# 3-NY Metropolitans

# 4-LA Angels

# 5-Indians

Nice to see some early buzz of what I think will be the best starting rotation outside of the Pads. April cant come soon enough

Article is a good read as well

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The Padres don't have the best rotation in major league baseball. Good, yes, but not the best. Numbers aren't everything. I don't understand why they base this selection on them having the best ERA last season alone.

No way Padres are #1...

my rankings

1. Angels
    2. Diamondbacks
    3. Mets
    4. Mariners
    5. Padres

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    No way Padres are #1...

my rankings

1. Angels
    2. Diamondbacks
    3. Mets
    4. Mariners
    5. Padres
    I think that's a good ranking. That probably would be mine as well.

Veteran
    As long as the Mets r up there im happy

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    As long as the Mets r up there im happy
    The Mets have an excellent rotation this year. Santana just bumps everyone on the staff down a slot, which makes it that much better. My only question about the staff is whether Pedro can stay healthy for the year, and how many innings he can give you. Your bullpen still leaves me with questions, but that's true of a lot of teams.

Much different from what I said about your pitchers last year. Omar really came through.

Veteran
    You guys are all nuts putting the Mets that high up. I would go:

Padres
    D'Backs
    Indians
    Mariners
    Angels
    Red Sox
    Yankees
    Mets

Santana is an ace, but you have no idea what you are getting from anyone else...

Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post

Padres
    D'Backs
    Indians
    Mariners
    Angels
    Red Sox
    Yankees
    Mets

Santana is an ace, but you have no idea what you are getting from anyone else...
    I don't see how the Padres get the #1 ranking. Jake Peavy and Chris Young are at the top of the best rotation in baseball? I just don't see it.

Veteran
    Jake PEavy not only won the cy Young award last year, but 3 of the past 4 years his ERA has been under 3, tons of Ks, not a lots of BBs, way less H than IP. What exactly is the problem? At this point, is he much more of a sure bet than Santana is (and Santana IS a sure bet). Chris Young is as good a #2 as there is out there. He's young and getting better. Maddox, Prior, and Wolf make up a damn good back of the rotation, PLUS, we are talking about Petco Park, probably the most extreme pitcher's park in baseball.

But I would call it a push between the D'backs and Pads in the end...

Jake PEavy not only won the cy Young award last year, but 3 of the past 4 years his ERA has been under 3, tons of Ks, not a lots of BBs, way less H than IP. What exactly is the problem? At this point, is he much more of a sure bet than Santana is (and Santana IS a sure bet). Chris Young is as good a #2 as there is out there. He's young and getting better. Maddox, Prior, and Wolf make up a damn good back of the rotation, PLUS, we are talking about Petco Park, probably the most extreme pitcher's park in baseball.

But I would call it a push between the D'backs and Pads in the end...
    I'm talking about best rotation in general not factoring in which park they pitch in or what league they're in and both of those factors help those pitchers a great deal.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SDJETS;2426790]You guys are all nuts putting the Mets that high up. I would go:

Padres
    D'Backs
    Indians
    Mariners
    Angels
    Red Sox
    Yankees
    Mets

Santana is an ace, but you have no idea what you are getting from anyone else.../QUOTE]

This statement is funnny from someone who is putting a Yankee rotation, which is relying on 2 rookies ahead of the Mets.

Outside of Pedro who is reportedly healthy now, the only question on the Mets is the 5th starter, and that spot is pretty much a question mark for all teams. Im not following the logic here.

Another fun little factoid, The Sox might start Wakefield on opening day, you could say they have questions too.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;2426966]

This statement is funnny from someone who is putting a Yankee rotation, which is relying on 2 rookies ahead of the Mets.

Outside of Pedro who is reportedly healthy now, the only question on the Mets is the 5th starter, and that spot is pretty much a question mark for all teams. Im not following the logic here.
    Its funny he says we have no idea what were getting with Maine, Perez, Pedro, and Pelfrey/Duque when he has a rotation at the top that feautures Wolf, Maddux, and Prior.

Padres
    D'Backs
    Indians
    Mariners
    Angels
    Red Sox
    Yankees
    Mets

EDIT: You guys beat me to the post button...

Okay so Satana, a very good when healthy (and so far hes healthy) pedro, two young 15 game winners who can build on last year in Maine and Perez, and a combo of Duque and Pelfrey at the #5 spot.

Explain to me how that is less of a sure thing than Wang, Petite, moose?, and two kids without even a full season in the bigs.
    Last edited by Tony Danza; 03-11-2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: owned by slow post

Padres
    D'Backs
    Indians
    Mariners
    Angels
    Red Sox
    Yankees
    Mets

Not a fan of this ranking. Mariners have a nice 1-2, but you have no idea what you are going to get from either of them.

Here is my rankings, but it can defiantly change. Hughes and the other kids can jolt the Yankees up the list. If Dice-K improves the Sox would move up. If Carmona takes a step back they go way back down, and King Felix has yet to show any consistency.

Arizona
    Indians
    Mets
    Padres
    Red Sox
    Angels
    Mariners
    Yankees
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-11-2008 at 06:01 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Bay Ridge Jet;2426970]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

Its funny he says we have no idea what were getting with Maine, Perez, Pedro, and Pelfrey/Duque when he has a rotation at the top that feautures Wolf, Maddux, and Prior.
    Seriously, so many teams "dont know what there going to get" outside of your number 1 and 2 starters. Pitching is far less predictable than hitting on a year to year basis.

Jets Insider VIP
    Btw, what the f is going on with the quote feature, lol.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    EDIT: You guys beat me to the post button...

Okay so Satana, a very good when healthy (and so far hes healthy) pedro, two young 15 game winners who can build on last year in Maine and Perez, and a combo of Duque and Pelfrey at the #5 spot.

Explain to me how that is less of a sure thing than Wang, Petite, moose?, and two kids without even a full season in the bigs.
    first who says maine will build on last year. he could very well suck
    second last time perez had a good year he sucked the next and was released
    third duque is 405 and pelfrey is still unknown.

so yes I believe wang, pettite, and mussina if he bounces back are better than santana and pedro. pedro will be hurt again so you will only have him for half the season. So essentially the mets have one good ace. So yeah your rotation is in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post

so yes I believe wang, pettite, and mussina if he bounces back are better than santana and pedro. pedro will be hurt again so you will only have him for half the season. So essentially the mets have one good ace. So yeah your rotation is in trouble.
    Wang i have no argument for

but mussina and petite another year older, Moose especially has shown no signs of bouncing back and pettite has had to deal with the whole steroid and snitchin on his boy clemens thing, so besides you being a fan of the yankees there is no justification that they will rebound better than Maine and Perez building on last year

Jets Insider VIP

Damn UNC, i usually agree with your posts. This one is pretty off though imo.

LOL.

You have Mussina bouncing back, but have Maine and Perez, guys that are 25 and 26 getting worse. Might as well throw in that Santana's not a "NY guy"