Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 in 4 teen girls = STD

1 in 4 teen girls = STD

those abstinance only policies are really working! thanks be to George.

[quote]
    In Study, 1 in 4 Girls Is Found to Have STD

CHICAGO -- At least one in four teenage girls in the United States has a sexually transmitted disease, suggests a first-of-its-kind federal study that startled some adolescent-health experts.

The overall STD rate among the 838 girls in the study was 26 percent, researchers with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found. They released the results at a Tuesday conference.

Disease rates were significantly higher among black girls -- nearly half had at least one STD, vs. 20 percent among both whites and Mexican Americans.

Some doctors said the numbers might be a reflection of both abstinence-only sex education and the teenagers' own sense of invulnerability. Because some sexually transmitted infections can cause infertility and cancer, U.S. health officials called for better screening, vaccination and prevention.

Only about half of the girls in the study acknowledged having sex.

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/11/AR2008031103299.html[/url]
    [/quote]

Banned
    [QUOTE][B]Disease rates were significantly higher among black girls[/B] -- nearly half had at least one STD, vs. 20 percent among both whites and Mexican Americans.[/QUOTE]

Cue Company Man in 3,2,1...........................

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2428226]those abstinance only policies are really working! thanks be to George.[/QUOTE]
    They are just following the example of soon to be former Governor Spitzer.

Yeah, this is all at the feet of GWB.:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2428255]They are just following the example of soon to be former Governor Spitzer.

Yeah, this is all at the feet of GWB.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

never mind the fact the pt author of this thread, the one crying about STD's, has done nothing but justify prostitution the past two days, in one instance claiming it wasn't much different than marriage....

Veteran
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2428255]They are just following the example of soon to be former Governor Spitzer.

Yeah, this is all at the feet of GWB.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

True, George Bush has very little to do with this... but do you think the heavy investment in abstinence programs has been effective?

no one is telling prostitutes that condoms don't work and abstinance is the only way

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bigalbarracuda;2428259]True, George Bush has very little to do with this... but do you think the heavy investment in abstinence programs has been effective?[/QUOTE]

As effective as the free condom programs.;)

Veteran
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2428274]As effective as the free condom programs.;)[/QUOTE]

haha fair enough...

its sad this entire country is going down the ****ter... Brings up memories of that crap movie idiocracy.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SantanaMoss83;2428281]its sad this entire country is going down the ****ter... Brings up memories of that crap movie idiocracy.[/QUOTE]

this stuff is nothing new...the only thing different is the transparency of it all because of the internet...

it's likewhen they talk about roids, drugs, alcohol, womanizing of todays athlete's....my uncle would say "you never saw athlete's doing that in my time"...I'd respond "that's because you were to busy looking the other way"....

1 in 14 aint so bad

Banned
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2428283]this stuff is nothing new...the only thing different is the transparency of it all because of the internet...

it's likewhen they talk about roids, drugs, alcohol, womanizing of todays athlete's....my uncle would say "you never saw athlete's doing that in my time"...I'd respond "that's because you were to busy looking the other way"....[/QUOTE]

How very true.

In some ways the athletes were worse back then because they knew their every move wasn't scrutinized.

Hall Of Fame
    Unless we know the exact details, specifications, data sets, classifications, definitions, assumptions, noise, etc...headlines about studies like this are meaningless and typically simply an effort to push a particular policy view.

Kudos for Bitonti for doing what he's told and blaming Bush, though. That's a good little doggie....

[QUOTE=bitonti;2428226]those abstinance only policies are really working! thanks be to George.[/QUOTE]

Really? Seems to me Sex-Ed is as prevalent and widespread today as it has even been in the history of the United States. Yes, Abstinance-Promotion is a part of that, but today a Student is vastly more likely to be educated on Sex than at any point previous.

I.e. It's a real issue, that needs real answers. But attacking this as a "abstinance education" only issue is weak, and is made of Fail.

All Pro
    1 in 4 doesn't seem that high. When you consider that a teenage girl who is having sex is probably as misinformed as anybody on the planet. Not like she cares or even knows about safe sex. She's probably hammered drunk and having sex with the neighborhood Tomcat.

Goverment fault? NO, family. Plain and simple. If you go to bed at night and don't know where your teenage kid is, then it's your fault. Free condoms, absistence training (I think we called that RE when I was a kid), what a freaking joke.

It's fear we need. The parent has to take the time to scare the living **** out of their kids and show them right from wrong. Get a STD book and show it to your 13 yearold, let them see what a thoroughly infected schwang, or vag looks like with puss and canceres and the whole nine yards. NOt proper, well if you dont' someone else will and not in your kids favor.

I have five kids. ONe teenage daughter. She is a freshman in college, has a part time job, and a very nice young man as a boyfriend. Why are they so good? because they are afraid to death of me. NOt in a sense where they think I willsmack them around, though I would, but thats not the message. BUt, because I give them the info for real, and I mkae them understand the consequences are for real. Thats all.

JUst raise your kids people. The goverment has it's own fish to fry.

[QUOTE=jets5ever;2428289]
    Kudos for Bitonti for doing what he's told and blaming Bush, though. That's a good little doggie....[/QUOTE]

you guys don't get it. there are many other industrialized nations that don't have this problem - the difference is that they have realistic and consistant sex-ed programs from a very early age and we don't.

talk about the family all you want this is a failure of education, no different then when kids can't point out countries on a map. Could mom or dad do a better job teaching little jenny geography? sure they could but that's besides the point that the schools aren't doing their job.

Skeevy.

Blaming the government is as nieve as believing that these 13-19 year old girls need to be educated about condoms. If a girl is 13 and having sex I'll guarantee you she heard about condoms. I wouldn't confuse ignorance with willful disregard.

All Pro
    American pop culture and irresponsible parenting have MUCH more to do with this than government policies.

Bush and Global Warming...the cause of all bad things. Nice.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chicadeel;2428345]Skeevy.

Blaming the government is as nieve as believing that these 13-19 year old girls need to be educated about condoms. If a girl is 13 and having sex I'll guarantee you she heard about condoms. I wouldn't confuse ignorance with willful disregard.[/QUOTE]

I blame God. That guy is such a jerk...full of empty promises and mumbo jumbo...

;)