Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheaper Oil Prices

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheaper Oil Prices

If the American Consumer wants cheaper oil and Gas tell your Representatives to open the Oil fields to exploration. We have literally millions of barrels of oil with in our grasp!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2428578]If the American Consumer wants cheaper oil and Gas tell your Representatives to open the Oil fields to exploration. We have literally millions of barrels of oil with in our grasp![/QUOTE]here,here...we don't even know how much oil we got cause the tree-huggers won't even let us survey.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with your sentiment, but "millions of barrels of oil" is a drop in the bucket.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;2428592]here,here...we don't even know how much oil we got cause the tree-huggers won't even let us survey.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah...it's all the "tree huggers" fault...

That's notwithsatnding that the f*cking government is subsidizing them to survey for more. Black, gooey, viscous welfare...

[url]http://media.cleantech.com/node/554[/url]

But nevermind...it's all the VW driving, hemp wearing, Dead following hippies fault...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2428599]I agree with your sentiment, but "millions of barrels of oil" is a drop in the bucket.[/QUOTE]

there could be billions of barrels who knows.

I say we push those polar bears out of the way and bring in the drills because my SUV needs gas! :D:D:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    you guys are supposed to be conservative

the government doesn't really tell multi-national conglomerates where to drill

the reason why we get our oil from Saudi or Iraq instead of Canada is price of labor and price of extraction.

US exploration is a dead issue because the companies don't want to pay an American in a union 30 bucks an hour to work 8 hours plus overtime when they can pay an Iraqi 1 buck an hour all day and all night. Simple global economics and asking the government to step in, well that's downright liberal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talk about gas prices - The wife just talked me into buying an Expedition. Kept saying she needs more space and all. The thing is obnoxiously big and its not exactly fuel efficient. Oh well, you pick your battles and I guess I lost this one. (I typically lose!)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Jetfan_Johnny;2428620]there could be billions of barrels who knows.

I say we push those polar bears out of the way and bring in the drills because my SUV needs gas! :D:D:D[/quote]

Well, you know, the geologists.

Truthfully, opening up ANWR to drilling is a terrible, terrible idea.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=jets5ever;2428646]Talk about gas prices - The wife just talked me into buying an Expedition. Kept saying she needs more space and all. The thing is obnoxiously big and its not exactly fuel efficient. Oh well, you pick your battles and I guess I lost this one. (I typically lose!)[/quote]

Gotta tell you, with 2 kids, you didn't have much of a choice. I'm now the proud owner of 2 minivans - better MPG, but far less cool.

They don't even have flames or a cool decal on the side

[IMG]http://youtube.com/watch?v=wMXTg0xKKw8[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2428649]Gotta tell you, with 2 kids, you didn't have much of a choice. I'm now the proud owner of 2 minivans - better MPG, but far less cool.

They don't even have flames or a cool decal on the side

[IMG]http://youtube.com/watch?v=wMXTg0xKKw8[/IMG][/QUOTE]

We checked the minivans. They are so expensive these days, huh? I mean, they are nice and all, but damn. The wife is in denial; doesn't think of herself as old even though she is. I think she thinks a MV means its over for her in terms of being not-old. She kept saying she would drive one if it was the "best" deal but she always found little things that made SUVs better. She essentially refused to drive a station wagon or a minivan, even though she pretended to be open-minded about it. Her two sisters stay home with their kids like my wife and neither of them drives a MV and they have talked openly about never wanting to. They are the classic soccer mom suburban 30-somethings in obnoxiously huge gas guzzlers. My wife, I think, feels the same way but just had to pretend to consider it for my sake. At the end of the day, I don't much care.

You are right about the space though. We have a Grand Cherokee and we tooks the two kids and went to the grocery store after the park. We had a double-stroller collapsed in the back that essentially took up the whole back storage space...and each kid in a car seat on either side of the back row. We barely fit the groceries...I had to have a bag at my feet and one on my lap and the ones in the back were wedged around the stroller and were crushed and it was annoying, as some items got damaged. We can't just put bags in the space between the kids because Georgie will grab at everything around him and he's freaking enormous (35 pounds already and he's 1.5 years old, 36 inches tall), ditto for putting bags at his feet. You'd think a regular-sized SUV would be enough space for even two small kids but it's really not. The Expedition is nice...expensive, terrible MPG, but nice. I'll give it that. Personally, I preferred the Tahoe, especiallu the new ones...but I lost that battle too!
    Last edited by jets5ever; 03-12-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    honest question: what kind of an effect on prices do you think that drop in the bucket (barrel?) increase would have in the 20-or-so years it will take to get said oil to start flowing at it's peak production levels?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2428649]Gotta tell you, with 2 kids, you didn't have much of a choice.[/QUOTE]

What a spoiled culture we live in today. "Don't have a choice"?

My Dad got us, three kids (and all big boys) around just fine in Cars, Yes, cars. In my rather wrong-side-of-the-tracks childhood, those cars were whatever we could scrounge, i.e. beaters. Ford Genadas. LTD Station Wagons. A Volvo so old there was more rust than body.

"Don't have a choice"? I guess the twin-DVD-Players in your Testosterone Free Mommywagans weren't an option either, right? Gotta keep the kids entertained!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2428708]What a spoiled culture we live in today. "Don't have a choice"?

My Dad got us, three kids (and all big boys) around just fine in Cars, Yes, cars. In my rather wrong-side-of-the-tracks childhood, those cars were whatever we could scrounge, i.e. beaters. Ford Genadas. LTD Station Wagons. A Volvo so old there was more rust than body.

"Don't have a choice"? I guess the twin-DVD-Players in your Testosterone Free Mommywagans weren't an option either, right? Gotta keep the kids entertained![/QUOTE]

LOL that's so friggin' true. No wonder everyone hates us.

When I was really small, my parents got me and my brother around in one car........a Volkswagen Rabbit. They seemed to manage just fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2428708]What a spoiled culture we live in today. "Don't have a choice"?

"Don't have a choice"? I guess the twin-DVD-Players in your Testosterone Free Mommywagans weren't an option either, right? Gotta keep the kids entertained![/QUOTE]

Fair enough, though I think doggin wasn't being as literal as you think he was. I do have a choice, no argument there. Your parents would have probably chosen to get nicer cars than those old beaters if they could have, right? You aren't seriously suggesting that they could have afforded a luxury car but got rusted out ones on principle, are you?

I was one of six kids and we went around in older wagons and we even had one of those old VW orange hippie vans that literally caught on fire one day while we were driving it. But that was when I was little and my dad/family had no money. My dad started doing well and then very well as I got older and so we had nicer things. It's bizarre, in a way: My sister is 41 and my youngest brother is 23 and so my sister was raised when we had no money as a family and my littlest brother was raised when we had a lot, after my dad was GC of Citibank. They are from the same family, but had entirely different childhoods. My parents tried to not spoil any of us when my dad first started making very good money, but we all think they just got tired. By the time the youngest kid was in high school, they had been raising kids for 30+ years and they were just tired and had the money to just relax and not be stressed out all the time. They didn't fee like driving him around places as much or maintaining a bad car and they bought him a nice car, cell phones, different toys and things. They probably should have not done that, because he is noticably more spoiled than the other kids and they privately talk about how they regret it now...but they were in their 60's by then and just wanted a break I think.

But I agree with you about how we are spoiled, but you have to be careful how you phrase things. Every generation thinks the next one is spoiled and in many ways they are right simply because of progress. Things ARE easier in many ways than before, simply because of progress and nothing cultural. In 30 years, people who were raised in Ford Expeditions with DVD players will likely point to that as "roughing" ir, compred to the unknown luxuries enjoyed in 2038's kids. You know?
    Last edited by jets5ever; 03-12-2008 at 03:14 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2428618]Oh yeah...it's all the "tree huggers" fault...

That's notwithsatnding that the f*cking government is subsidizing them to survey for more. Black, gooey, viscous welfare...

[url]http://media.cleantech.com/node/554[/url]

But nevermind...it's all the VW driving, hemp wearing, Dead following hippies fault...[/QUOTE]
    you're absolutely right about the Dead and hippies and all causing all of our problems qudos there. but how is "contruction and protection of nations highway" an oil subsidy? also is there a pollution tax that the oil companies are not paying? the petroleum reserve is a subsidy? i'm sure this story is exaggerated a bit,like most envio's articles are.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2428720]LOL that's so friggin' true. No wonder everyone hates us.

When I was really small, my parents got me and my brother around in one car........a Volkswagen Rabbit. They seemed to manage just fine.[/QUOTE]

I remember sneaking out of the house when I was 14 and taking my Mom's Chevy Chevette for a ride. What a P.O.S. that was.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2428578]If the American Consumer wants cheaper oil and Gas tell your Representatives to open the Oil fields to exploration. We have literally millions of barrels of oil with in our grasp![/QUOTE]

An argument can be made that the oil in the Arctic is there for the next 'great war' the USA is involved in.

Sounds to me like a political deal can be struck. open up ANWAR to drilling and a tax is placed on the oil that is produced. The proceeds of this tax go to R&D on alternative energy and for tax rebates on Solar power, Wind power, geothermal heat pumps, etc...

the USA needs to cut back on the energy we use created from oil.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2428745]Fair enough, though I think doggin wasn't being as literal and you think he was. I do have a choice, no argument there. Your parents would have probably chosen to get nicer cars than those old beaters if they could have, right? You aren't seriously suggesting that they could have afforded a luxury car but got rusted out ones on principle, are you?

I was one of six kids and we went around in older wagons and we even had one of those old VW orange hippie vans that literally caught on fire one day while we were driving it. But that was when I was little and my dad/family had no money. My dad started doing well and then very well as I got older and so we had nicer things. It's bizarre, in a way: My sister is 41 and my youngest brother is 23 and so my sister was raised when we had no money as a family and my littlest brother was raised when we had a lot, after my dad was GC of Citibank. They are from the same family, but had entirely different childhoods. My parents tried to not spoil any of us when my dad first started making very good money, but we all think they just got tired. By the time the youngest kid was in high school, they had been raising kids for 30+ years and they were just tired and had the money to just relax and not be stressed out all the time. They didn't fee like driving him around places as much or maintaining a bad car and they bought him a nice car, cell phones, different toys and things. They probably should have not done that, because he is noticably more spoiled than the other kids and they privately talk about how they regret it now...but they were in their 60's by then and just wanted a break I think.

But I agree with you about how we are spoiled, but you have to be careful how you phrase things. Every generation thinks the next one is spoiled and in many ways they are right simply because of progress. Things ARE easier in many ways than before, simply because of progress and nothing cultural. In 30 years, people who were raised in Ford Expeditions with DVD players will likely point to that as "roughing" ir, compred to the unknown luxuries enjoyed in 2038's kids. You know?[/QUOTE]

It's not MAKING the choice I have issue with, obviosuly. I am Mr. Pro-Profit and Reaping the Rewards you Sow.

It's the "Have no Choice" line that irritates the hell out of me, as if it were remotely true. But maybe I am baised and cynical, being white trash poor does that to you sometimes.

****, don't listen to me. I'm not right right now. Sorry doggin, sorry.:(

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think people who drive SUV's are *ssholes. I can't stand when they are in front of me (can't see the road), and I can't stand when they are behind me (tailgating).

One day I'm going to stop at a light, get out and brain one of those bastards driving one of those damn things.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok how about sending all the illegals driving cars in this country back to their homeland!