Thread: What Type of Advisor Helps a President on Day One?

What Type of Advisor Helps a President on Day One?

One of the most pressing issues of this election season has been the topic of experience and being ready. No doubt one of the most important decisions of a president is the advisors that are chosen. They have the presidents ear and influence our great nation. Chemistry and mutual respect are central to this situation. Some presidents take people with military experience, others with Ivy League backrounds. And then we have this.......

[SIZE="4"][B]Reagan White House[/B][/SIZE]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Quigley[/url]

Nancy Reagan grew concerned after the attempt on her husband's life on March 30, 1981 and asked [B]Psychic Joan Quigley [/B]if she could have foreseen, and possibly prevented, the assassination attempt. Quigley answered affirmatively, that had she been looking, she would have known. Mrs. Reagan enlisted Quigley's astrological advice on a regular basis, and would hold regular telephone conversations with her. Explaining why she turned to Quigley, Nancy later wrote, "Very few people can understand what it's like to have your husband shot at and almost die, and then have him exposed all the time to enormous crowds, tens of thousands of people, any one of whom might be a lunatic with a gun... I was doing everything I could think of to protect my husband and keep him alive."

Quigley concluded that Reagan's charts were very similar to assassinated President Abraham Lincoln's astrological signs, with both being born in February, and both being elected in a year that ends in zero.[citation needed]

Quigley later wrote a book about her experiences, titled What Does Joan Say?, which is a phrase Reagan used often during his presidency. Quigley writes, "[B]Not since the days of the Roman emperors—and never in the history of the United States Presidency—has an astrologer played such a significant role in the nation's affairs of State."[/B] Although that phrase is certainly debatable, Quigley's insight was used frequently.

After Donald Regan took over as Chief of President Reagan's staff in 1985, he was told by Reagan aide Michael Deaver about Quigley. Regan, who frequently quarreled with Nancy Reagan, resigned in 1987 after the Iran-Contra affair and mixed reviews of his job performance. Claimed to be revenge by some, Regan revealed to the nation that Mrs. Reagan consulted Quigley in his autobiography For The Record. He said, "[B]Mrs. Reagan passed along her prognostications to me after conferring with [Quigley] on the telephone—she had become such a factor in my work, and in the highest affairs of the nation, that at one point I kept a color-coded calendar on my desk (numerals highlighted in green ink for "good" days, red for "bad" days, yellow for "iffy" days) as an aid to remembering when it was propitious to move the President of the United States from one place to another, or schedule him to speak in public, or commence negotiations with a foreign power."[/B]

In 1989, in an NBC News story, reporter Andrea Mitchell said, "[B]Intelligence officials say the CIA went nuts when it learned the First Lady was discussing US-Soviet relations with an outsider [Joan Quigley] on non-secure lines.[/B] Some White House officials were also horrified that presidential security was being breached. And, [B]according to former White House officials and Quigley, the astrologer was involved in everything. She picked the departure time for the Reykjavik Summit, the optimum time for signing an arms control treaty, the best time for the trip to Moscow. And, when Mrs. Reagan was upset about a controversial trip to Germany in 1985, Quigley plotted every takeoff and landing. Her scheduling for that visit to the Bitburg cemetery was so complicated that former White House aide Michael Deaver sought permission from Mrs. Reagan to talk to the astrologer directly[/B]
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 03-14-2008 at 12:49 PM.

No matter how you try to cover or spin it, Obama's relationship with, and the influence on him from, this America hating hateful racist won't change.

Sorry.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2432377]No matter how you try to cover or spin it, Obama's relationship with, and the influence on him from, this America hating hateful racist won't change.

Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to spin anything. At the end of the day we are going to believe what we want. But there is a myth that long resumes equal good results. Rumsfeld has a long resume and, by many accounts including McCains, he was a disaster.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2432405]NoAt the end of the day we are going to believe what we want. [/QUOTE]

Yes, you're right.

I see a man deeply influenced by a hateful racist who thinks America and White people are the root of all evil.

And I see a man with almost no experience whatsoever.

The deep sadness I feel is that the alternative is equally bad, although for different reasons.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2432330]One of the most pressing issues of this election season has been the topic of experience and being ready. No doubt one of the most important decisions of a president is the advisors that are chosen. They have the presidents ear and influence our great nation. Chemistry and mutual respect are central to this situation. Some presidents take people with military experience, others with Ivy League backrounds. And then we have this.......

Nancy Reagan grew concerned after the attempt on her husband's life on March 30, 1981 and asked [B]Psychic Joan Quigley [/B]if she could have foreseen, and possibly prevented, the assassination attempt. Quigley answered affirmatively, that had she been looking, she would have known. Mrs. Reagan enlisted Quigley's astrological advice on a regular basis, and would hold regular telephone conversations with her. Explaining why she turned to Quigley, Nancy later wrote, "Very few people can understand what it's like to have your husband shot at and almost die, and then have him exposed all the time to enormous crowds, tens of thousands of people, any one of whom might be a lunatic with a gun... I was doing everything I could think of to protect my husband and keep him alive."

Quigley concluded that Reagan's charts were very similar to assassinated President Abraham Lincoln's astrological signs, with both being born in February, and both being elected in a year that ends in zero.[citation needed]

Quigley later wrote a book about her experiences, titled What Does Joan Say?, which is a phrase Reagan used often during his presidency. Quigley writes, "[B]Not since the days of the Roman emperors—and never in the history of the United States Presidency—has an astrologer played such a significant role in the nation's affairs of State."[/B] Although that phrase is certainly debatable, Quigley's insight was used frequently.

After Donald Regan took over as Chief of President Reagan's staff in 1985, he was told by Reagan aide Michael Deaver about Quigley. Regan, who frequently quarreled with Nancy Reagan, resigned in 1987 after the Iran-Contra affair and mixed reviews of his job performance. Claimed to be revenge by some, Regan revealed to the nation that Mrs. Reagan consulted Quigley in his autobiography For The Record. He said, "[B]Mrs. Reagan passed along her prognostications to me after conferring with [Quigley] on the telephone—she had become such a factor in my work, and in the highest affairs of the nation, that at one point I kept a color-coded calendar on my desk (numerals highlighted in green ink for "good" days, red for "bad" days, yellow for "iffy" days) as an aid to remembering when it was propitious to move the President of the United States from one place to another, or schedule him to speak in public, or commence negotiations with a foreign power."[/B]

In 1989, in an NBC News story, reporter Andrea Mitchell said, "[B]Intelligence officials say the CIA went nuts when it learned the First Lady was discussing US-Soviet relations with an outsider [Joan Quigley] on non-secure lines.[/B] Some White House officials were also horrified that presidential security was being breached. And, [B]according to former White House officials and Quigley, the astrologer was involved in everything. She picked the departure time for the Reykjavik Summit, the optimum time for signing an arms control treaty, the best time for the trip to Moscow. And, when Mrs. Reagan was upset about a controversial trip to Germany in 1985, Quigley plotted every takeoff and landing. Her scheduling for that visit to the Bitburg cemetery was so complicated that former White House aide Michael Deaver sought permission from Mrs. Reagan to talk to the astrologer directly[/B][/QUOTE]

Is it your point that since nancy Reagan cunsolted an astronomer it is ok for Obama to have an anti American spiritual leader?

If Obama gets elected he should go to bed everyday wishing he could wake up and be half the President that Ronny was!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2432330]One of the most pressing issues of this election season has been the topic of experience and being ready. No doubt one of the most important decisions of a president is the advisors that are chosen. They have the presidents ear and influence our great nation. Chemistry and mutual respect are central to this situation. Some presidents take people with military experience, others with Ivy League backrounds. And then we have this.......

Nancy Reagan grew concerned after the attempt on her husband's life on March 30, 1981 and asked [B]Psychic Joan Quigley [/B]if she could have foreseen, and possibly prevented, the assassination attempt. [/B][/QUOTE]
    But to question Michelle Obama's business relationships is not appropriate.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;2432481]Is it your point that since nancy Reagan cunsolted an astronomer it is ok for Obama to have an anti American spiritual leader?

If Obama gets elected he should go to bed everyday wishing he could wake up and be half the President that Ronny was![/QUOTE]

No, this has nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with debunking myths. This idea that Obama does not have enough experience yet some people worship presidents who had their [B]wives consult psychics on national affairs[/B].

Or that we you could have an administration with countless years of experience, only to enter us into a war that should never have had happened.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2432527]No, this has nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with debunking myths. This idea that Obama does not have enough experience yet some people worship presidents who had their [B]wives consult psychics on national affairs[/B].

Or that we you could have an administration with countless years of experience, only to enter us into a war that should never have had happened.[/QUOTE]

None of these has any bearing on wether or not OBAMA has experience.

In the end, he doesn't. Some may say inexperience is good because it may CHANGE things in Washington.

I think for the most important job i would feel more comfortable with a former Govermor or a experienced senator than a novice politician.

[QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;2432536]None of these has any bearing on wether or not OBAMA has experience.

In the end, he doesn't. Some may say inexperience is good because it may CHANGE things in Washington.

I think for the most important job i would feel more comfortable with a former Govermor or a experienced senator than a novice politician.[/QUOTE]

Speaking for myself, I am not interested in the type of "experience" Rumsfeld and Cheney have. Long resumes does not always correlate into sound judgement.

Its time for a change.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2432545]Speaking for myself, I am not interested in the type of "experience" Rumsfeld and Cheney have. Long resumes does not always correlate into sound judgement.

Its time for a change.[/QUOTE]

You can epect that the people Obama appoints will be experienced (qualified) for whatever position he appoints them too.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2432470]I see a man deeply influenced by a hateful racist who thinks America and White people are the root of all evil.[/QUOTE]

ODS

[QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;2432571]You can epect that the people Obama appoints will be experienced (qualified) for whatever position he appoints them too.[/QUOTE]

But what type of experience are we talking about? I never said experience is not helpful, but having a long resume alone is not impressive. The example given above documents that.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2432545]Speaking for myself, I am not interested in the type of "experience" Rumsfeld and Cheney have. Long resumes does not always correlate into sound judgement.

Its time for a change.[/QUOTE]

IMHO it is Obama's "light" government experience that makes him that much more attractive to me. I feel that he hasn't been tainted by the run-of-the-mill, politics as usual that pervades our government.

When it comes down to the experience question people really shouldn't put too much emphasis on it. It's a point but it isn't as important as one would think.

Abraham Lincoln, often called our greatest president, was a state legislator (like Obama) and then spent two years in Congress before leaving. When not in public office he was a lawyer and anti-slavery advocate (speaking out against the Kansas-Nebraska Act and the Missouri Compromise). I'm not comparing the two... just saying...:rolleyes:

What was Reagan's experience before he was elected Governor of California? President of the Screen Actor's Guild?

What were Dubya's credentials? Owning the Rangers? You fellas point out that he was a Governor but no one ever mentions that the governor of Texas is one of the weakest (constitutionally speaking) executives in the country. He couldn't select his own cabinet (they are popularly elected).

This is just to put things in perspective when we have this experience discussion. Obama would surround himself with the best and brightest and not shills that he owes favors to thanks to them voting his way 15 years ago on a bill he wanted to pass. Two years in the Senate to me means less favors, less baggage, less lobbyist sway.

Btw... Anyone read Team of Rivals... the story of how Lincoln constructed his cabinet entirely of his former political rivals?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2432527]No, this has nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with debunking myths. This idea that Obama does not have enough experience yet some people worship presidents who had their [B]wives consult psychics on national affairs[/B].

Or that we you could have an administration with countless years of experience, only to enter us into a war that should never have had happened.[/QUOTE]

Just to be fair... Lincoln and FDR also consulted with pyschics. In Lincoln's case it was because his wife wanted to channel their dead children.

[URL="http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/9701/26/dixon/"]http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/9701/26/dixon/ [/URL]

[QUOTE=bigalbarracuda;2432743]IMHO it is Obama's "light" government experience that makes him that much more attractive to me. I feel that he hasn't been tainted by the run-of-the-mill, politics as usual that pervades our government.

When it comes down to the experience question people really shouldn't put too much emphasis on it. It's a point but it isn't as important as one would think.

Abraham Lincoln, often called our greatest president, was a state legislator (like Obama) and then spent two years in Congress before leaving. When not in public office he was a lawyer and anti-slavery advocate (speaking out against the Kansas-Nebraska Act and the Missouri Compromise). I'm not comparing the two... just saying...:rolleyes:

What was Reagan's experience before he was elected Governor of California? President of the Screen Actor's Guild?

What were Dubya's credentials? Owning the Rangers? You fellas point out that he was a Governor but no one ever mentions that the governor of Texas is one of the weakest (constitutionally speaking) executives in the country. [B]He couldn't select his own cabinet (they are popularly elected). [/B]

This is just to put things in perspective when we have this experience discussion. Obama would surround himself with the best and brightest and not shills that he owes favors to thanks to them voting his way 15 years ago on a bill he wanted to pass. Two years in the Senate to me means less favors, less baggage, less lobbyist sway.

Btw... Anyone read Team of Rivals... the story of how Lincoln constructed his cabinet entirely of his former political rivals?[/QUOTE]

Wyatt Earp didn't select his own cabinet in the white house either. So maybe being the Texas Governor was the perfect experience for him.

Big Al, you always offer excellent posts :yes: