Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best players at each position, MLB.COM ranks

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Best players at each position, MLB.COM ranks

Starting Pitcher: Tie
    Beckett/Santana
    -Fair judgement even though Beckett was outstanding last year and could take it on his own.

Closer: Papelbon
    -They mention Mariano passing on the torch to him...I am sure you Yankee fans love this.

Third Base: Arod
    -Easiest selection of the entire article.

Shortstop: Jimmy Rollins
    -Last year he was good but my Mets bias will not let me agree...

Center Field: Beltran
    -They mention his five tool status as the main reason but we will see how his knees respond to surgery this season. Does he really have six tools since he made peoples top sexiest people? I sense I have stumbled upon an awkward topic....

I dont feel like posting all the votes so check out the article for everyone. Overall a pretty good read.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    Beckett/Santana
    -Fair judgement even though Beckett was outstanding last year and could take it on his own.

-They mention Mariano passing on the torch to him...I am sure you Yankee fans love this.

-They mention his five tool status as the main reason but we will see how his knees respond to surgery this season. Does he really have six tools since he made peoples top sexiest people? I sense I have stumbled upon an awkward topic....

I dont feel like posting all the votes so check out the article for everyone. Overall a pretty good read.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    Becket? Maybe last year. It depends on if you are going over just the last year, or the last couple years (2-3). I would take Johan over anyone right now. Becket's ERA 2 years ago was over 5, now he's the best in the game?

Pappelbon is a great closer. But he's done it for 1 full season. How can you do something for 1 full year and be the best in baseball? Let him do it again, injury free for a full year, and we can have that talk.

Beltran, what can you say. Good clutch hitter, good pop, great defensive CF. Who could you really say is better? Also, unlike the previous 2, Carlos has been this good for a while.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree I feel that a good deal of the picks need to establish themselves a little more before they can truly be crowned the best at each position. However, for the articles projections it would appear this is all based strictly off the 2007 season. This is a pretty big flaw because 1 great season does not make them career all stars. Although most players tend to vary year to year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ichiro >>> Beltran

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Ichiro >>> Beltran
    At hitting singles.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    At hitting singles.
    He's a better hitter. He gets on base more and hits more. He is also a better defender, Beltran is good, but Ichiro is better. Beltran has more power.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-14-2008 at 03:26 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, we should be looking at these from a position of who is best at their position, WITHOUT including hitting statistics.

Beckett/Santana
    I would argue that when healthy, Roy Halladay is more effective then either.

Papelbon gets no argument here.

This is a JOKE....he is NOT a good fielding 3rd baseman, and only gets this nod for his abilities at the plate.

I can think of many fielding SS I would put here.

I would probably still put Jim Edmonds here over most.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Okay, we should be looking at these from a position of who is best at their position, WITHOUT including hitting statistics.

I would argue that when healthy, Roy Halladay is more effective then either.

Papelbon gets no argument here.

This is a JOKE....he is NOT a good fielding 3rd baseman, and only gets this nod for his abilities at the plate.

I can think of many fielding SS I would put here.

I would probably still put Jim Edmonds here over most.
    First of all Edmonds lost 3 steps about 5 years ago. So he isn't even in the discussion anymore, and Alex is a pretty good defensive 3rd basemen. He isn't bad like you are saying he is, he's kinda like Wright, they both have there share of dumb mistakes, but more so than not, they make every play, even spectacular ones at times.

and something tells me you bring up Hallladay because you're from Canada? Derek Jeter would agree with you thought, he always says he is the toughest pitcher he faces year after year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Beckett/Santana
    Ive got a bet with my Ma$$hole buddy about who will have a better year, Beckett or Santana. Wins/ERA/WHIP....2 out of 3 takes it.

He feels compelled to give me the action after all the Pats/Jets money he's taken off me over the past 6-7 years

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Ive got a bet with my Ma$$hole buddy about who will have a better year, Beckett or Santana. Wins/ERA/WHIP....2 out of 3 takes it.

He feels compelled to give me the action after all the Pats/Jets money he's taken off me over the past 6-7 years
    Santana is going to dominate the NL, I wouldn't be too worried. Beckett already has a back injury, it could linger all season. I hope!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Santana is going to dominate the NL, I wouldn't be too worried.
    +1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a better hitter. He gets on base more and hits more. He is also a better defender, Beltran is good, but Ichiro is better. Beltran has more power.
    In Beltran's worst year, Ichiro can't hold his jock strap when manning CF. Just watch the man everyday and you'll see. Ichiro has a better arm of course but when you're talking about defensively in CF, no contest and he was playing with 2 bad knees last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    In Beltran's worst year, Ichiro can't hold his jock strap when manning CF. Just watch the man everyday and you'll see. Ichiro has a better arm of course but when you're talking about defensively in CF, no contest and he was playing with 2 bad knees last year.

When was the last time you watched Ichiro everyday?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

When was the last time you watched Ichiro everyday?
    When was the last time you watched either everyday?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    im not the biggest beltran fan, but beltran hands down is a better ALL ROUND CF then ichiro.

Ichiro is a great player, plays great defense and is a great table setter

Beltran is great player, plays a better defense, has less of an arm, and is an RBI guy.

granted table setters are a very important part of the game but there is a reason people stress the 3-4-5 spot in the lineup

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd take Beltran over Ichiro myself.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a ridiculous conversation. Ichiro will be in the Hall of Fame some day. Beltran won't even get a sniff.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Santana is going to dominate the NL, I wouldn't be too worried. Beckett already has a back injury, it could linger all season.
    I think Beckett's back injury will linger right up to the moment that return flight from China touches down @ Logan Airport.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a ridiculous conversation. Ichiro will be in the Hall of Fame some day. Beltran won't even get a sniff.
    Derek Jeter is going to be in the HOF some day, you're saying you wouldnt take Hanley Ramirez over him today?

Career history doesnt matter in this conversation. We're talking about tools and Ichiro isn't a better defensive player then Beltran.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the article talking about all around position, or just defense? I imagine all around, because a) who gives a crap about strictly defensive players since you take the better offensive player almost all the time, and b) Thats what makes A-Rod make sense, as he is not the best defensive 3B but easily the best all around player in baseball.

Beckett is a case of media hype finally matching results. hes been hyped by the media since 2003 and 2007 was the first year he actually matched the hype, so logically the media hype has now gone even more overboard. Best pitcher in baseball? Sure, last season he was. This season Santana will easily put up the best #s ATC.

As for CF, Ichiro may be a good defender, but on offense is overrated. His value is totally tied to his BA, which granted is insanely high, but his OPS+ is still not all that impressive. If you are looking total package, I would go with either Beltran, Sizemore, or Granderson...