Thread: Democrats in Congress Introduce Resolution Attacking Bob Jones U. as Intolerant

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Democrats in Congress Introduce Resolution Attacking Bob Jones U. as Intolerant

[QUOTE][B]THE 2000 CAMPAIGN: THE RELIGION ISSUE; Democrats in Congress Introduce Resolution Attacking Bob Jones U. as Intolerant [/B]

Published: March 1, 2000

[B]Hoping to make Republicans squirm over their visits to Bob Jones University, House and Senate Democrats introduced a resolution today condemning the college for intolerance and criticizing its many visitors for staying silent on its anti-Catholic views.

With speeches decrying bigotry and racism, the Democrats made clear that it was Gov. George W. Bush's stop at the university, and his failure to denounce the college's policies, that compelled them to draw up the resolution. Mr. Bush later apologized for not seizing the chance to condemn the evangelical university's anti-Catholic teachings and its ban on interracial dating. [/B]

[B]By heaping criticism on Mr. Bush, the Democrats hope not only to draw attention to a campaign misstep, but also to turn the university's policies into so much of a political mudbath that any candidate who has ever spoken there will end up vulnerable. Senator John Ashcroft, a Republican who is in a tough re-election bid in Missouri, has already been criticized for receiving an honorary degree from the college. Mr. Bush's presidential rival, Senator John McCain, has also condemned the Bush visit. But today it was Democrats who were using it in hopes of tarnishing Republicans. [/B]

''Had not Governor Bush gone to Bob Jones University I doubt if we would be standing here,'' said Representative John Conyers Jr., a Michigan Democrat, at a news conference that included a Mormon, an African-American and two Roman Catholic lawmakers, as well as a nun.

With the words of Dr. Bob Jones, the university's president, calling the papacy ''the religion of Antichrist and a satanic system'' as a backdrop, Representative Joseph Crowley, Democrat of New York, said the visits were a silent endorsement of the college's principles, an endorsement Americans should not tolerate.

''This issue here is of a presidential candidate or candidates, or other people from political life who have gone to Bob Jones University, and by doing so have said it's O.K., that this school is O.K., and it's not,'' said Mr. Crowley, who co-sponsored the resolution with Senators Harry Reid of Nevada and Robert G. Torricelli of New Jersey. ''It's not O.K.''

But Republicans, who also have been embroiled in a separate dispute for passing over a Catholic priest as House chaplain, quickly did some condemning of their own.

They accused Democrats of fear-mongering and pandering to Catholics, a crucial voting block, in an election year. And they made clear that the resolution was not likely to ever reach the floor of either the House or Senate. Resolutions are routinely used to express disfavor or praise. Republicans once crafted a resolution denouncing Louis Farrakhan, for example.

''The whole thing is baloney,'' said Representative Henry J. Hyde, an Illinois Republican and the dean of Catholics among House Republicans. ''It's being played for all its worth.''

''If we are going to adopt a principle that where you go seeking votes is an indication that you accept the dogmas and doctrines of the institution to which you are going, what does that say about Al Sharpton, and the two major Democratic candidates for the presidency, as well as Mrs. Clinton,'' Mr. Hyde said in an interview, referring to their visits with Mr. Sharpton, who has been accused of anti-Semitism.

Senator Don Nickles, of Oklahoma, the second-ranking Republican in the Senate, was so angered by the resolution he said he could dream up a lot of his own declarations, if need be.

''I guess we could have a resolution about Al Gore's acceptance speech to NARAL, where he basically gave them a blank check,'' he said, referring to the abortion-rights group. ''Or maybe we could have a resolution of his acceptance of the gay rights community in New York, or his acceptance of the unions, where he basically gave them a veto over any legislation. If they want to play politics, we can play politics.''

Closing the door to any floor debate on the resolution, Senator Trent Lott, the majority leader, simply said, ''I don't expect an amendment to be offered on Bob Jones or Buddhist temples or anything else.'' The reference to the Buddhist temples harkens back to Vice President Al Gore's visit there to raise money for Democrats.

Until this year, stopping off at Bob Jones University raised few eyebrows, and a long list of politicians, Democrats and Republicans, did so frequently. Several of Mr. McCain's allies have ties to the university.

On Sunday, the co-chairman of Mr. McCain's South Carolina campaign, Terry Haskins, who is also the state House speaker pro tem and a Bob Jones graduate, resigned from the campaign, saying he disagreed with the way Mr. McCain handled the issue. Mr. McCain has been criticized for capitalizing on the visit and approving telephone calls which portrayed Mr. Bush as anti-Catholic. Another adviser, Representative Lindsey O. Graham, a South Carolina Republican, received an honorary degree from the college.

On the Hill, Representative Asa Hutchinson and Senator Tim Hutchinson, Republicans from Arkansas and brothers, received their undergraduate degrees there.

Democrats are now seeking to portray the university's policies as unconscionable.

Even Representative Hutchinson called it is impossible to support the policies and teachings of Bob Jones University, from which he graduated in 1972. He said he called Dr. Jones, the president, after the South Carolina primary to let him know that when reporters called, Dr. Jones should not expect him to defend the university.

''I certainly think they are trying to take political advantage and divide our country and exploit this opportunity,'' Mr. Hutchinson said in an interview today. ''But there is ammunition out there. The fact is you have an indefensible policy at Bob Jones University.''

[/QUOTE]

[url]http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0DE1D81339F932A35750C0A9669C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all[/url]

I'm sure the rat-wingers, led by hussien of course, will be consistent and draw up a resolution decrying aunt jeremiah wright...

[IMG]http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-BD629_oj_kes_20080313201734.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 03-14-2008 at 03:48 PM.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2432742][url]http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0DE1D81339F932A35750C0A9669C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all[/url]

I'm sure the rat-wingers, led by hussien of course, will be consistent and draw up a resolution decrying aunt jeremiah wright...

[IMG]http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0DE1D81339F932A35750C0A9669C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all[/IMG][/QUOTE]

:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

Fat chance Mr Obama will anything negative about his pastor. Mr Wright has been on his campaign commitee since 2007. A member of the Black Pastorial Council!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;2432763]Fat chance Mr Obama will anything negative about his pastor. Mr Wright has been on his campaign commitee since 2007. A member of the Black Pastorial Council![/QUOTE]

it's okay.....he's a democrat.....:yes:

Obama actually disavowed everything Wright said in his sermon today. Some here know my politics and know that I will never vote for him but let's get the facts straight please. ([url]http://blog.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2008/03/obama_reacts_to_controversial.html[/url])

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=XingDaorong;2433296]Obama actually disavowed everything Wright said in his sermon today. Some here know my politics and know that I will never vote for him but let's get the facts straight please. ([url]http://blog.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2008/03/obama_reacts_to_controversial.html[/url])[/QUOTE]

let's get the facts straight....

1) this is not the first time aunt jermiah wright had made insane comments...

2) hussien has been going to the church for nearly two decades, and only know when aunt jeremiah's comments are political gunpowder has he disavowed himself from this racist hate monger...in the past he embraced him as a "favorite uncle"...

3) regardless of hussien, the rat-wing brought a resolution to the floor of the congress attacking Bob Jones U for intolerence....why don't they do the same for "paster" aunt jeremiah wright's church???

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2435887]let's get the facts straight....

2) hussien has been going to the church for nearly two decades, and only [B]know[/B] when aunt jeremiah's comments are political gunpowder has he disavowed himself from this racist hate monger...in the past he embraced him as a "favorite uncle"...

3) regardless of hussien, the rat-wing brought a resolution to the floor of the congress attacking Bob Jones U for intolerence....why don't they do the same for "paster" aunt jeremiah wright's church???[/QUOTE]

know??????????

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2435887]let's get the facts straight....

2) hussien has been going to the church for nearly two decades, and only know when aunt jeremiah's comments are political gunpowder has he disavowed himself from this racist hate monger...in the past he embraced him as a "favorite uncle"...

3) regardless of hussien, the rat-wing brought a resolution to the floor of the congress attacking Bob Jones U for intolerence....why don't they do the same for "paster" aunt jeremiah wright's church???[/QUOTE]

The Democrats in Congress are hypocrites, no disagreement there. Obama, however, has booted this nut out of his campaign and so far as I am aware has not agreed with Wright's "sermons".

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2435952]know??????????[/QUOTE]

Do you really want people on the forum picking every one of your or my spelling errors? Is that really where you think the forum needs to head?

We all spell **** wrong. Every single poster in here.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2437254]Do you really want people on the forum picking every one of your or my spelling errors? Is that really where you think the forum needs to head?

We all spell **** wrong. Every single poster in here.[/QUOTE]

I don't. :D

[quote=Warfish;2437254]Do you really want people on the forum picking every one of your or my spelling errors? Is that really where you think the forum needs to head?

We all spell **** wrong. Every single poster in here.[/quote]

I dont :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2437254]Do you really want people on the forum picking every one of your or my spelling errors? Is that really where you think the forum needs to head?

We all spell **** wrong. Every single poster in here.[/QUOTE]

Google Toolbar SpellCheck

[url]http://toolbar.google.com/T4/index_pack_xp.html[/url]

[B]
    With speeches decrying bigotry and racism, the Democrats made clear that it was Gov. George W. Bush's stop at the university, and his failure to denounce the college's policies, that compelled them to draw up the resolution. Mr. Bush later apologized for not seizing the chance to condemn the evangelical university's anti-Catholic teachings and its ban on interracial dating.[/B]

I'm honestly sick and tired of their bull****. With all the crimes and atrocities committed by Bush, they choose this one to b**** about?

[B]''Had not Governor Bush gone to Bob Jones University I doubt if we would be standing here,'' said Representative John Conyers Jr., a Michigan Democrat, at a news conference that included a [U]Mormon[/U], an African-American and two Roman Catholic lawmakers, as well as a nun.
    [/B]
    The nerve of a Mormon being there to represent a need for tolerance is laughable at best.

[B]With the words of Dr. Bob Jones, the university's president, calling the papacy ''the religion of Antichrist and a satanic system'' as a backdrop, Representative Joseph Crowley, Democrat of New York, said the visits were a silent endorsement of the college's principles, an endorsement Americans should not tolerate.[/B]

Everyone knows republicans have a fan base in the hate crowd. They're just doing what politicians do. All most all if not every member of congress has social/political ties to some "colorful" characters.

[B]They accused Democrats of fear-mongering and pandering to Catholics, a crucial voting block, in an election year. And they made clear that the resolution was not likely to ever reach the floor of either the House or Senate. Resolutions are routinely used to express disfavor or praise. Republicans once crafted a resolution denouncing Louis Farrakhan, for example.[/B]

They might actually lose the Cuban vote because of this lol.

[B]''If we are going to adopt a principle that where you go seeking votes is an indication that you accept the dogmas and doctrines of the institution to which you are going, what does that say about Al Sharpton, and the two major Democratic candidates for the presidency, as well as Mrs. Clinton,'' Mr. Hyde said in an interview, referring to their visits with Mr. Sharpton, who has been accused of anti-Semitism.[/B]

Accusations and admissions are two different things.

[B]Senator Don Nickles, of Oklahoma, the second-ranking Republican in the Senate, was so angered by the resolution he said he could dream up a lot of his own declarations, if need be.

''I guess we could have a resolution about Al Gore's acceptance speech to NARAL, where he basically gave them a blank check,'' he said, referring to the abortion-rights group. ''Or maybe we could have a resolution of his acceptance of the gay rights community in New York, or his acceptance of the unions, where he basically gave them a veto over any legislation. If they want to play politics, we can play politics.''[/B]

Yeah because womens rights, gay rights and labor rights are horrible horrible things and will destroy the historically great morals of our country!:zzz:

[B]On Sunday, the co-chairman of Mr. McCain's South Carolina campaign, Terry Haskins, who is also the state House speaker pro tem and a Bob Jones graduate, resigned from the campaign, saying he disagreed with the way Mr. McCain handled the issue. Mr. McCain has been criticized for capitalizing on the visit and approving telephone calls which portrayed Mr. Bush as anti-Catholic. Another adviser, Representative Lindsey O. Graham, a South Carolina Republican, received an honorary degree from the college.[/B]

If McCain only fed off the hate of his party, like a sith to the darkside, he'd actually have a shot at winning the presidency.

[B]Even Representative Hutchinson called it is impossible to support the policies and teachings of Bob Jones University, from which he graduated in 1972. He said he called Dr. Jones, the president, after the South Carolina primary to let him know that when reporters called, Dr. Jones should not expect him to defend the university.

''I certainly think they are trying to take political advantage and divide our country and exploit this opportunity,'' Mr. Hutchinson said in an interview today. ''But there is ammunition out there. The fact is you have an indefensible policy at Bob Jones University.''[/B]

And since both sides of our ever corrupt gov't apparently have ties to this university of hate, why not focus on 100+ other issues that would change sh**.