Thread: Bill Gates on Immigration and H1-B Visas

Bill Gates on Immigration and H1-B Visas

US high-tech companies are being forced to outsource more jobs overseas because of outdated restrictions on immigration, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates told Congress Wednesday.
    Gates, echoing a longstanding complaint from the technology sector, told a congressional panel that the US immigration system "makes attracting and retaining high-skilled immigrants exceptionally challenging for US firms."

"Congress's failure to pass high-skilled immigration reform has exacerbated an already grave situation," Gates said in remarks prepared for delivery to a hearing of the House of Representatives Science and Technology Committee.

"As a result, many US firms, including Microsoft, have been forced to locate staff in countries that welcome skilled foreign workers to do work that could otherwise have been done in the United States, if it were not for our counterproductive immigration policies."

Gates said the limits on so-called H-1B visas aimed at highly skilled professionals are far too low for the rapidly growing tech sector.

He said the current cap of 65,000 H-1B visas "is arbitrarily set and bears no relation to the US economy's demand for skilled professionals."

continued at
    [url]http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080312143412.qjper5cy[/url]

Gee Bill?! I and a bunch of my fellow IT workers just got laid off. Who is hiring in IT? Very few and most are looking for cheap H1-B labor or to outsource.

I always argued that the same clowns in Washington and corporate America that were looking the other way and condoning unlimited illegal immigration, in an attempt to drive down blue collar wages, would come up with more scams to drive down the wages in more and more white collar sectors. This is a flat out war on the American worker and any sane person knows it.

Gates says over and over he's going overseas to find the "elite" hi-tech workers --- sort of like N.H.L. and N.B.A. teams scour Europe and elsewhere for Dirk Nowitzki's and Alexander Ovechkin's.....but the reality is most of the Hi-B visa's brought in, by far, are merely entry level workers doing jobs just about any college grad could do with some training --hardly the elite programmers Gates' waxes poetic about.

[QUOTE=Riggins44;2434698]. This is a flat out war on the American worker and any sane person knows it[/QUOTE]

How do we fight back?

This is disgusting

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNi7tPanUA[/url]

Thank you. Being older and experienced, it is a massive effort to find a like position. It seems like two full time jobs looking.

When I found out about getting laid off, I had the deer in the headlights feeling. I just got an above average performance rating and a few days later got called into an office told my position was eliminated. They seemed to get rid of the older and higher paid people in the layoffs (it wasn't based on performance was shocked of my layoff and some others that were hit). I worked for a company that is just looking for cheap workers I guess. I should have known since the company I worked at was always looking to (and will continue to) move the technical (programmers, analysts, testers) as well as the customer service rep (data entry type clerks and customer service rep) jobs to India, etc.

Live and learn I guess. I try to focus on the job search and not what happened because when I do I feel like I was used and discarded (and that is frustrating). I just regret all the unpaid overtime (as a salaried employee) I put in (knowing some people that are still there didn't do much work and when they did they caused more work for others).

I feel fortunate that I've been getting interviews (know alot of people who have been having trouble just getting interviews). I would say I am above average looking guy (look young for my age) and especially for a IT worker (I look more jock than geek). I interview well. It does seem like everyone is looking for cheap workers and h1-b type workers. Maybe it is me but some of the looks I get are frustrating. I walked into one place and the HR person is a middle age woman who gives me the "we don't hire middle white men" look. I get the same look at another place by an Indian. Hopefully, it is my imagination. And reading that article will Bill Gates BS comments was frustrating!

Oh well, back to the job search.

[QUOTE=Riggins44;2434810]Well, we did fight back real hard in 2006 and 2007 to destroy McCain's massive amnesty bills in their tracks -- Huge American populace revolt shut down most Senators phone lines....but that was merely a defensive tact to keep things from getting worse.

How do we go on the offensive?

I suppose electing the same type of people we have in the congress (more accountable to Americans/not as indebted to Corporations) to the Senate and the White House would help....but don't expect that to happen soon, as Senators seem to get very "comfy" thanks to their 6 year terms.

P.S: DBatesman, good luck in the coming weeks. I hope things do get better for you.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=danielbateman;2435964]Thank you. Being older and experienced, it is a massive effort to find a like position. It seems like two full time jobs looking.

When I found out about getting laid off, I had the deer in the headlights feeling. I just got an above average performance rating and a few days later got called into an office told my position was eliminated. They seemed to get rid of the older and higher paid people in the layoffs (it wasn't based on performance was shocked of my layoff and some others that were hit). I worked for a company that is just looking for cheap workers I guess. I should have known since the company I worked at was always looking to (and will continue to) move the technical (programmers, analysts, testers) as well as the customer service rep (data entry type clerks and customer service rep) jobs to India, etc.

Live and learn I guess. I try to focus on the job search and not what happened because when I do I feel like I was used and discarded (and that is frustrating). I just regret all the unpaid overtime (as a salaried employee) I put in (knowing some people that are still there didn't do much work and when they did they caused more work for others).

I feel fortunate that I've been getting interviews (know alot of people who have been having trouble just getting interviews). I would say I am above average looking guy (look young for my age) and especially for a IT worker (I look more jock than geek). I interview well. It does seem like everyone is looking for cheap workers and h1-b type workers. Maybe it is me but some of the looks I get are frustrating. I walked into one place and the HR person is a middle age woman who gives me the "we don't hire middle white men" look. I get the same look at another place by an Indian. Hopefully, it is my imagination. And reading that article will Bill Gates BS comments was frustrating!

Oh well, back to the job search.[/QUOTE]

Being out of work and looking sucks. The interview process is the worst. I know what it's like to want a job I am qualified for and being denied while that job is given to somebody else less qualified because of quotas.

Being unemployed is scary and dealing with the mental midgets in human resources is horrible.

What company f'd you over?

I can't say (risk of being blackballed)

[QUOTE=Company_Man;2435983]Being out of work and looking sucks. The interview process is the worst. I know what it's like to want a job I am qualified for and being denied while that job is given to somebody else less qualified because of quotas.

Being unemployed is scary and dealing with the mental midgets in human resources is horrible.

What company f'd you over?[/QUOTE]