View Poll Results: Who would you want on the mound in game 7 of the World Series?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Johan Santana

32 50.00%
  • Josh Beckett

32 50.00%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would you want on the mound in game 7 of the World Series

Who would you want on the mound in game 7 of the World Series

Poll coming
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-16-2008 at 04:05 PM.

That's not the question that was in the debate. It was which pitcher you would rather have on your team.

I'd take the better pitcher, which is Santana. Too bad most people have no clue about baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3 View Post
    That's not the question that was in the debate. It was which pitcher you would rather have on your team.

I'd take the better pitcher, which is Santana. Too bad most people have no clue about baseball.
    Yes it is, I was talking post season the whole time, that is exactly why I would want Josh Beckett over Johan Santana. The Yankees need that big game pitcher, no one is better than Beckett right now, and why does it matter? Wouldn't you want the better pitcher in game 7? So what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Yes it is, I was talking post season the whole time, that is exactly why I would want Josh Beckett over Johan Santana. The Yankees need that big game pitcher, no one is better than Beckett right now, and why does it matter? Wouldn't you want the better pitcher in game 7? So what's the difference?
    You said you'd rather have Beckett over Santana in teh regular season as well, so you are basically saying it is the Yankees birthright to be in the playoffs every year. You've forgotten the days when the Yankees were awful and couldn't give away tickets in the late 80's/early 90's, that's not so far away?

Do I have to explain how making a game 7 works? You have to win enough games to make the playoffs, to win more games you need more productive players. Santana is a better pitcher than Beckett. And I will take him over Beckett in a game 7 as well.

EDIT: I'd say the same thing no matter what uniform Santana was wearing.
    Last edited by IM3; 03-16-2008 at 04:19 PM.

You said you'd rather have Beckett over Santana in teh regular season as well, so you are basically saying it is the Yankees birthright to be in the playoffs every year. You've forgotten the days when the Yankees were awful and couldn't give away tickets in the 80's, that's not so far away?

Do I have to explain how making a game 7 works? You have to win enough games to make the playoffs, to win more games you need more productive players. Santana is a better pitcher than Beckett. And I will take him over Beckett in a game 7 as well.
    No I didn't. Here are my posts on this topic.

For the Yankees, I'd take Beckett over Santana in a second.
    In the post season Beckett is 6-0 with a 1.73 ERA. I want him on the mound in the October over every pitcher in baseball.
    Did you even read my post?

I'm basing this on what Beckett has done in the post season. No one has been as good as him, not even Santana.
    And the Yankees have been in the post season 13 seasons in a row, it's not a birth right, but they have always had a good enough team, and they still do. What have they missed in recent years? The big game pitcher and timely hitting. Beckett fills one of those roles, better than any pitcher in baseball.

Tell me, how different would last October been if Beckett was on the mound, and not Wang.

Past results have zero impact on future results.

For my money, I want the best pitcher in the game and it's Johan Santana. Big Stage, Little Stage. I'm gonna ride or die with the best pitcher in the game.

I highly doubt that.
    Just search some of these Santana vs. Beckett threads before he was a Met.......

Doesn't surprise me Mets fans would go with Santana, if I was a Mets fan I'd do the same.

Doesn't surprise me Mets fans would go with Santana, if I was a Mets fan I'd do the same.
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...eckett+santana

How does Beckett > Santana?

This was Santana's WORST year and Beckett's career year. Even that being said Santana had the better WHIP (1st in AL), K's, H/9 and innings pitched. Those stats are much more important than W/L record which is entirely team dependent

Santana >>>>>>Beckett
    Last edited by IM3; 03-16-2008 at 04:28 PM.

It has nothing to do with him being a Met, in a big spot I would take A-Rod over Jeter as well. It's a matter of past results being completely irrelevant in the 2008 Postseason and I would rather have the better player up in the biggest spot, not the one with the "History".

Glavine was supposed to be a "Big Game Pitcher" (WS MVP) too, and look what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Past results have zero impact on future results.

For my money, I want the best pitcher in the game and it's Johan Santana. Big Stage, Little Stage. I'm gonna ride or die with the best pitcher in the game.
    That line is soo stupid.

Why do you think Santana is the best pitcher? Because of his past results.

Why do I think Beckett is the best big game pitcher in baseball? Because of his past results.

It has nothing to do with him being a Met, in a big spot I would take A-Rod over Jeter as well. It's a matter of past results being completely irrelevant in the 2008 Postseason and I would rather have the better player up in the biggest spot, not the one with the "History".

Glavine was supposed to be a "Big Game Pitcher" (WS MVP) too, and look what happened.
    He got old... that is what happen.

Jets Insider VIP
    Oh snap.

So "big game ability" is a trait that diminishes with age? It's not an inherent title? So if Beckett goes out and gets bombed next postseason he would lose his "bg game status"?

It couldn't be that Beckett just happens to be a very good pitcher who pitched insanely well in a few postseason starts, not that he has "big game" ability like Chad Pennington has "intangibles".

Nothing wrong with taking Santana, but I'd take the guy who was been dominant time after time in big games.

That line is soo stupid.

Why do you think Santana is the best pitcher? Because of his past results.
    Maybe, but for the next 5 years If I had to gamble I believe Santana will outpitch Beckett by a wide margin, in any situation. Spring Training, Regular Season, Postseason. Why? Because he's the better pitcher.

Why do I think Beckett is the best big game pitcher in baseball? Because of his past results.
    Past Results from an incredibly small sample size.

More like his luck ran out. But if you want a Younger example...

How about Jeter and his .176 BA last Postseason, or that it's the 9th time he's posted a Sub .250 BA in a Playoff Series despite being supposibly the most clutch player of all time.

On a long enough timeline, a player will always perform to his career averages. Jeter is actually slightly worse in the Postseason then he is in the Regular Season, so perhaps he is due.

So "big game ability" is a trait that diminishes with age? It's not an inherent title? So if Beckett goes out and gets bombed next postseason he would lose his "bg game status"?

It couldn't be that Beckett just happens to be a very good pitcher who pitched insanely well in a few postseason starts, not that he has "big game" ability like Chad Pennington has "intangibles".
    Seems like this discussion is pointless with you. I believe some players can handle the pressure in big games, and some can't, not saying Santana can't, but Beckett defiantly can.

santana, no doubt. regular season or postseason.

Maybe, but for the next 5 years If I had to gamble I believe Santana will outpitch Beckett by a wide margin, in any situation. Spring Training, Regular Season, Postseason. Why? Because he's the better pitcher.

Past Results from an incredibly small sample size.

More like his luck ran out. But if you want a Younger example...

How about Jeter and his .176 BA last Postseason, or that it's the 9th time he's posted a Sub .250 BA in a Playoff Series despite being supposibly the most clutch player of all time.

On a long enough timeline, a player will always perform to his career averages. Jeter is actually slightly worse in the Postseason then he is in the Regular Season, so perhaps he is due.
    Derek Jeter doesn't get better in the playoffs, he's about the same. I'm talking about Beckett, not Jeter.

Sean Ryan would take his boyfriend Phil Hughes over both of them.