Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: LoHud- "Yankees making a difference for Va Tech"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

LoHud- "Yankees making a difference for Va Tech"

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

Yankees making a difference for Va Tech

March 17

If you can, make time to watch the Yankees play Virginia Tech tomorrow on YES. It’s going to be something you’ll want to see.

Your team is doing a very good thing tomorrow. It was only 11 months ago that a madman killed 32 people on campus and wounded 23 others. The school has yet to complete its memorial to the victims and the Yankees are coming to town to play a game.

Jeter, A-Rod, Posada, Damon, the whole bunch of them. They’re going to wear the Va Tech logo on their hats, signs hundreds of autographs and allow a community to forget, even if just for a day, what happened.

I happen to know one of the coaches on the staff there and the team and the school are overwhelmed by the genorosity the Yankees have shown them.

The Yankees are as corporate as corporate can be most of the time. It’s good to see them extending themselves like this.

“This is something that the organization felt was important. I think it’s important for our guys to see,” Joe Girardi said this afternoon. “Most of us have kids, some of us have been on college campuses. I get emotional when I think about it. … I just think it’s important that we do this.”
    and this is why people say the Yankees are a classy organization. Not only are the Yankees playing a tribute game, they Yanks donated $1 million to Virginia Tech. Hate George Steinbrenner all you want, he is a giving man, always has been.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-18-2008 at 12:38 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a nice story. Nice to see Steinbrenner lending some support to the school that went through such a terrible tragedy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait to see how the Yankee haters spin this one into something awful...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Can't wait to see how the Yankee haters spin this one into something awful...
    Blah Blah Blah. Every team does things like that. Blah Blah Blah. They should give a million dollars with all their money.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Blah Blah Blah. Every team does things like that. Blah Blah Blah. They should give a million dollars with all their money.
    I think the way it works now in modern day MLB is that the Yankees give money to a bunch of other teams so that those teams can magnanimously make charitable donations.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    I think the way it works now in modern day MLB is that the Yankees give money to a bunch of other teams so that those teams can magnanimously make charitable donations.
    That is a stellar post. Except the Marlins. They just keep it. No players, no scouts, just keep the cash.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marbury donated a million dollars to the Katrina fund a few years back. You can be a complete ******* and a nice guy at the same time.