Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: iPod and new computer help

OT: iPod and new computer help

i'm going to be buying a laptop soon, probably a dell since my computer crashed about 8 months ago. i'm hoping some of you on here have had some experience with ipods and new computers.

i have something like 2500 songs on my ipod. when i install the ipod software on my new computer, will have to reload all my cds or can i just transfer from the ipod to the new computer? if i cannot transfer from the ipod to the computer and have to reload all of my cds, what happens to the itunes that i have on my ipod but do not have on a cd? are they lost? any help would be appreciated, this is the reason that i have waited so long to get a new computer, i do not know how it works with the ipod. thanks.

No, you won't be able to do that. iTunes doesn't allow iPod to Comp uploading.

You can however, by separate software that allows for you to do that. However it's not possible without the software.

Otherwise any stuff you have on your iPod is there until you delete it. Once you delete it, it's gone.

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2439134]No, you won't be able to do that. iTunes doesn't allow iPod to Comp uploading.

You can however, by separate software that allows for you to do that. However it's not possible without the software.

Otherwise any stuff you have on your iPod is there until you delete it. Once you delete it, it's gone.[/QUOTE]

correcto. that software runs for like $20 in office depot. i would buy it if i were in your situation.

when you first set up your iPod did you set it for manual or auto updating?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

there is a program you can buy for that, I have it at home I can't remember the name. It works, however you don't transfer the song liscense to your new computer for any songs you bought on itunes

[QUOTE=Yellwldbettr;2439125]i'm going to be buying a laptop soon, probably a dell since my computer crashed about 8 months ago. i'm hoping some of you on here have had some experience with ipods and new computers.

i have something like 2500 songs on my ipod. when i install the ipod software on my new computer, will have to reload all my cds or can i just transfer from the ipod to the new computer? if i cannot transfer from the ipod to the computer and have to reload all of my cds, what happens to the itunes that i have on my ipod but do not have on a cd? are they lost? any help would be appreciated, this is the reason that i have waited so long to get a new computer, i do not know how it works with the ipod. thanks.[/QUOTE]

do a google search - i forget the free software i used but it worked. be wary because some are free for the first 20 songs, and then the rest you would have to pay for. maybe sharepod was the name of the one i used?

Just a thought!

When you buy your new computer, consider buying a separate hard drive as a back up! They make some that are RAID which will allow you almost a limitless capability to create safe data. Your new computer will be able to access the data as an online drive(amazing, heh,heh) much like any other drive in your system. You will achieve several objectives at one time- data storage and recovery being the most important. You can do this for under $500 or you can go cheaper and use a standard type drive suggest you go as large as you can afford. These drives can be had for in the $100 range depending on size. Given the number of files you are saving the larger will be more efficient.

There are software programs that will allow you the access you are lookiing for - try CNET.com for evaluations.

One final note Msoft will not continue to support XP past the summer so you are looking at Vista or a different op system. Make sure your hardware ans software will be compatible with the new operating system and be prepared to contact sources for the appropriate driver support.

Note Ipod is an Apple product and you may want to consider Mac/Apple products.

Lot of choices and perhaps more money than you envisioned- but that is what advice is about!:cool:

ther era lot of articles out there on this subject because it is a very common question - here is one place to start:

[url]http://www.cnet.com/4520-7899_1-6477981-1.html[/url]

[QUOTE=JoeyJets1988;2439143]correcto. that software runs for like $20 in office depot. i would buy it if i were in your situation.

when you first set up your iPod did you set it for manual or auto updating?[/QUOTE]

thanks for the great feedback so far, i really appreciate it. i had it setup for auto updating so whenever i put a new cd it, it would load it onto the ipod. do you know the name of the software to get at office depot?

Stop spending $ and wasting time. Install Winamp and you can now drag & drop mp3's to/from the Ipod. Bill Belichek is a scumbag.

Don't buy the software, there's plenty of freewares that do the same thing.

Or if you can't find one, just google 'iPod to Computer Transfer' and find one with a free trial, as for your purposes you'll only need to use it once.

Have you considered a MAC?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

there's a free app called "senuTi" (iTunes backwards) that lets you do it - it might be shareware. you can also do it via command line, you can google it and get step-by-step instructions. I'd recommend senuTi though.

Hall Of Fame
    The pc can recognize the iPod as an external hard drive. I know a guy that did this with the help of a geek.

[QUOTE=Jetsound;2439357]The pc can recognize the iPod as an external hard drive. I know a guy that did this with the help of a geek.[/QUOTE]

Like I said.....Winamp will do this. But when you browse the Ipod as a drive, you'll notice your MP3s are all over the place and all mixed up.

Just get Winamp [url]http://www.winamp.com/player/features[/url]

[url]http://www.ephpod.com/[/url]

It's a free program that allows you to copy music off your iPod back onto your PC. It even re-names the files by track name & number, and sorts everything in Artist/Album folders.

[QUOTE=Yellwldbettr;2439125] what happens to the itunes that i have on my ipod but do not have on a cd? are they lost? any help would be appreciated, this is the reason that i have waited so long to get a new computer, i do not know how it works with the ipod. thanks.[/QUOTE]

I did this a few years ago with a free program, and it worked pretty well.

To answer your last question - you won't lose anything on your ipod if you choose "manually manage music and videos " in itunes when you hook it up to your new computer. Only if you choose automatic sync will it erase everything that's not in your itunes library on your PC.

[QUOTE=Gagoots;2439272]Have you considered a MAC?[/QUOTE]

i haven't really considered it. i'm only looking to spend $600-700 bucks, so i figured they are likely more expensive. some of this software sounds really good tho, especially if i can just download a free one and use it once for my purposes.

i am concerned about my ipod software not being compatable with windows vista tho. i got my ipod in feb/06 so im not sure if it will work or if i need to seriously consider a mac product.

[QUOTE=Yellwldbettr;2439501]i am concerned about my ipod software not being compatable with windows vista tho. i got my ipod in feb/06 so im not sure if it will work or if i need to seriously consider a mac product.[/QUOTE]

Your iPod will be fine, as long as you've been keeping up updating to the latest version of iTunes.

All League
    [QUOTE=Yellwldbettr;2439501]i haven't really considered it. i'm only looking to spend $600-700 bucks, so i figured they are likely more expensive. some of this software sounds really good tho, especially if i can just download a free one and use it once for my purposes.

i am concerned about my ipod software not being compatable with windows vista tho. i got my ipod in feb/06 so im not sure if it will work or if i need to seriously consider a mac product.[/QUOTE]

I have a Macbook and Im running OS X Leopard. I have it partitioned so Im also able to run Windows XP and Vista all on the same computer. When Im running windows xp is actually faster then my Dell desktop.

One thing when you get your new computer pc or mac, DONT auto sync in iTunes because that will erase everything on your iPod and only put what you have on your computer back on your iPod.

[QUOTE=Yellwldbettr;2439125]i'm going to be buying a laptop soon, probably a dell since my computer crashed about 8 months ago. i'm hoping some of you on here have had some experience with ipods and new computers.

i have something like 2500 songs on my ipod. when i install the ipod software on my new computer, will have to reload all my cds or can i just transfer from the ipod to the new computer? if i cannot transfer from the ipod to the computer and have to reload all of my cds, what happens to the itunes that i have on my ipod but do not have on a cd? are they lost? any help would be appreciated, this is the reason that i have waited so long to get a new computer, i do not know how it works with the ipod. thanks.[/QUOTE]

Having just bought a new Dell and having experienced the same thing here's what happens:

As long as your iPod was formatted for windows you should have no problem. However, if your iPod is formatted in Mac and you switch to a PC, you will have to reformat you iPod and will lose all your songs like I did.