Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: iPod and new computer help

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Yellwldbettr;2439187]thanks for the great feedback so far, i really appreciate it. i had it setup for auto updating so whenever i put a new cd it, it would load it onto the ipod. do you know the name of the software to get at office depot?[/QUOTE]

well the thing with auto updating is when you plug it in the computer it automatically syncs with the iTunes library. so if you plug it into a brand new computer with a blank library it might erase the files on the iPod. im not sure about it erasing the files but i set mine for manual updating because i share a computer with my family.

heres the link to the software:

[URL="http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/567005/Tune-Tools-For/"]http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/567005/Tune-Tools-For/[/URL]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idump is all you need

[url]http://www.download.com/iDump/3000-2169_4-10407429.html[/url]

there it is and its free

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Yellwldbettr;2439125]i'm going to be buying a laptop soon, probably a dell since my computer crashed about 8 months ago. i'm hoping some of you on here have had some experience with ipods and new computers.

i have something like 2500 songs on my ipod. when i install the ipod software on my new computer, will have to reload all my cds or can i just transfer from the ipod to the new computer? if i cannot transfer from the ipod to the computer and have to reload all of my cds, what happens to the itunes that i have on my ipod but do not have on a cd? are they lost? any help would be appreciated, this is the reason that i have waited so long to get a new computer, i do not know how it works with the ipod. thanks.[/QUOTE]

In order for the 2500 songs to get on your iPod, they are likely still stored on your existing PC somewhere. Do this:

In iTunes, navigate to a few songs and highlight a song name and right click. On the menu that comes up, choose Get Info > Summary > Where and read the address of the actual song file. If it's something like C:\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music then you know that that's where the songs are. In that case you'd move that folder and all its contents over to the new PC, reload iTunes and it'll all be there were you need it.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 03-19-2008 at 12:48 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a similar problem..had virus on my laptop stored all files on external hardrive had laptop restored to original factory setting reloaded saved files from external drive..i have all of my songs in a folder..when i bring up i-tunes library none of the songs are there..im afraid to plug my i-pod in and lose 1700 songs..my question is how do i get my songs from the file folder back into the i-tunes library, and safely plug my i-pod w 1700 songs back into laptop..thanks for the help :)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Hydro22;2440273]Idump is all you need

[url]http://www.download.com/iDump/3000-2169_4-10407429.html[/url]

there it is and its free[/QUOTE]

That was what I was thinking of..I used it when I switched computers and it got the job done.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ryan10;2440621]I have a similar problem..had virus on my laptop stored all files on external hardrive had laptop restored to original factory setting reloaded saved files from external drive..i have all of my songs in a folder..when i bring up i-tunes library none of the songs are there..im afraid to plug my i-pod in and lose 1700 songs..my question is how do i get my songs from the file folder back into the i-tunes library, and safely plug my i-pod w 1700 songs back into laptop..thanks for the help :)[/QUOTE]

access the folder and drag the icon into iTunes when its open. all the songs should update into the iTunes library. then plug your iPod in and you should be good to go.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JoeyJets1988;2441100]access the folder and drag the icon into iTunes when its open. all the songs should update into the iTunes library. then plug your iPod in and you should be good to go.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't do that first as you'll get tons of dupes that way.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ryan10;2440621]I have a similar problem..had virus on my laptop stored all files on external hardrive had laptop restored to original factory setting reloaded saved files from external drive..i have all of my songs in a folder..when i bring up i-tunes library none of the songs are there..im afraid to plug my i-pod in and lose 1700 songs..my question is how do i get my songs from the file folder back into the i-tunes library, and safely plug my i-pod w 1700 songs back into laptop..thanks for the help :)[/QUOTE]

You need to remember this:

The iPod is just a portable mirror of iTunes. All the work is done in iTunes. Whatever iTunes has for songs, artists, genres, playlists, etc. is what occurs in your iPod.

So re-organize and re-load iTunes to get it to what it needs to be. When you've checked that all 1700 songs on your iPod are right there in iTunes, you'll just re-sync and everything will be fine after a 20 minute lag to re-load the songs atop themselves on the iPod.

As another poster mentioned, drag the folder with the 1700 songs into iTunes (the blank space where the songs would normally be) and it'll load them all in. Make iTunes perfect, the iPod will follow.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't read through all the posts so I don't know if someone already mentioned it, but there is a program called iPod Copy Expert 3.1.2

Should be able to DL it on [url]www.download.com[/url] for no charge.

Works great and simple to use. PM me if you have any questions.
    Last edited by JetBidi; 03-19-2008 at 05:30 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2441121]You need to remember this:

The iPod is just a portable mirror of iTunes. All the work is done in iTunes. Whatever iTunes has for songs, artists, genres, playlists, etc. is what occurs in your iPod.

So re-organize and re-load iTunes to get it to what it needs to be. When you've checked that all 1700 songs on your iPod are right there in iTunes, you'll just re-sync and everything will be fine after a 20 minute lag to re-load the songs atop themselves on the iPod.

As another poster mentioned, drag the folder with the 1700 songs into iTunes (the blank space where the songs would normally be) and it'll load them all in. Make iTunes perfect, the iPod will follow.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

so when you say re-load itunes do you mean from i-tunes website a new version?? how do you make i-tunes perfect?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ryan10;2441751]so when you say re-load itunes do you mean from i-tunes website a new version?? how do you make i-tunes perfect?[/QUOTE]

Re-load your music into iTunes. Remember, iTunes is just a pretty bunch of shortcuts to the 2000 song files that live in a folder on your computer. So once you empty iTunes you then drag the folder of music files back into iTunes and it'll get rid of duplicates and be nice and clean (assuming you have no duplicate song files in the folder, that's a different issue).

You make iTunes "perfect" by making sure that all the artist names are spelled correctly, that your Playlists are the way you like them, etc.

Then you just sync up the iPod and you're done.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetBidi;2441671]Didn't read through all the posts so I don't know if someone already mentioned it, but there is a program called iPod Copy Expert 3.1.2

Should be able to DL it on [url]www.download.com[/url] for no charge.

Works great and simple to use. PM me if you have any questions.[/QUOTE]

I've used this in the past and it was easy to use !

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the great advice everyone, i appreciate it. i think i may go with the tune tools software