Thread: McCain links Al Qaeda and Iran????

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

McCain links Al Qaeda and Iran????

Um, given the history of dubiously linking Al Qaeda to Middle Eastern countries a certain group of neocons was eager to invade, this sort of gaffe isn't good.

I'm glad he corrected himself after being corrected by Lieberman, but I'm also troubled by the fact that McCain has pushed this same line earlier in the day in an interview with rightie loon Hugh Hewitt.

We know McCain is in favor of military action against Iran --he famously sang "bomb Iran" to the tune of the Beach Boys' "Barbara Ann"-- and I really hope his presidency, if it occurs, wouldn't be marked by the same pushing of misinformation (Saddam was tied to 9/11) that created public support for the Iraq war.

For now, I guess, I'll take him at his word and this was just a gaffe.

But, as Dubya tries to say, "Fool me once..."

[url]http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/03/18/a_mccain_gaffe_in_jordan.html[/url]

[QUOTE]A McCain Gaffe in Jordan
    By Cameron W. Barr and Michael D. Shear
    AMMAN, Jordan -- Sen. John McCain, traveling in the Middle East to promote his foreign policy expertise, misidentified in remarks Tuesday which broad category of Iraqi extremists are allegedly receiving support from Iran.

He said several times that Iran, a predominately Shiite country, was supplying the mostly Sunni militant group, al-Qaeda. In fact, officials have said they believe Iran is helping Shiite extremists in Iraq.

Speaking to reporters in Amman, the Jordanian capital, McCain said he and two Senate colleagues traveling with him continue to be concerned about Iranian operatives "taking al-Qaeda into Iran, training them and sending them back."

Pressed to elaborate, McCain said it was "common knowledge and has been reported in the media that al-Qaeda is going back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran, that's well known. And it's unfortunate." A few moments later, Sen. Joseph Lieberman, standing just behind McCain, stepped forward and whispered in the presidential candidate's ear. McCain then said: "I'm sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not al-Qaeda."

The mistake threatened to undermine McCain's argument that his decades of foreign policy experience make him the natural choice to lead a country at war with terrorists. In recent days, McCain has repeatedly said his intimate knowledge of foreign policy make him the best equipped to answer a phone ringing in the White House late at night.

McCain was in Jordan leading a week-long Congressional delegation and has stressed that the trip was not political, despite the decision to hold a fundraiser in London later this week.

But advisers said a side-benefit from the trip would be the image of McCain standing next to world leaders and showing his expertise on issues of war and terrorism.

The U.S. has long asserted that elements of the Iranian security forces have been training and supplying weapons to Iraq's Shiite militias. Iran is an overwhelmingly Shiite country whose government has applauded the emergence of a Shiite-led government in Iraq but has denied supporting Shiite militias inside Iraq.

Al-Qaeda in Iraq is a predominantly Sunni militant group which is blamed for deadly mass killings of Shiites, along with attacks on U.S. forces. Some extremist Sunni consider Shiites to be heretics and therefore legitimate targets of attack.

The schism between Islam's Sunni and Shiite sects grew out of a dispute over the leadership of the faithful following the death of the Prophet Muhammad in 632 AD.

Shear reported from Jerusalem.[/QUOTE]

And here:

[url]http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0308/McCain_flubbed_alQaedaIran_a_second_time.html#comments[/url]

[QUOTE]McCain flubbed Al Qaeda/Iran a second time

It wasn't just in his presser where McCain mixed up Sunni Al Qaeda operatives and Shiite extremists.

As sent over by the DNC, he did the same in an interview with Hugh Hewitt (!) yesterday:

As you know, there are Al Qaeda operatives that are taken back into Iran, given training as leaders, and they’re moving back into Iraq. [/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I saw this yesterday. What a joke. And he didnt correct himself until Lieberman whispered in his ear that what he said was wrong. Wow! With all that "experience" and "knowledge" you would expect McCain to know such a fundamental difference. This is really scary. One of the reasons we are facing this mess in Iraq today is because people didnt take the time to understand the history of the people we were going to attack and their plans after the fall failed to acknowledge that history. Thats what makes McCain so damn scary. He really does not understand the problems in this region

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2440921]Yeah, I saw this yesterday. What a joke. And he didnt correct himself until Lieberman whispered in his ear that what he said was wrong. Wow! With all that "experience" and "knowledge" you would expect McCain to know such a fundamental difference. This is really scary. One of the reasons we are facing this mess in Iraq today is because people didnt take the time to understand the history of the people we were going to attack and their plans after the fall failed to acknowledge that history. Thats what makes McCain so damn scary. He really does not understand the problems in this region[/QUOTE]

Or, if he does understand them, he's doing a good job of pretending otherwise.

This is an example of the GOP and its shills once again beginning to believe their own BS. They've created a fake term --Islamofascism-- designed to obscure the huge differences between Saddam and Al Qaeda, in order to justify the Iraq War. It lets them pretend Iraq is somehow linked to 9/11. And that, in Iraq today, we are somehow at war with a unified force of terrorists, not a zillion little gangs with totally different agendas.

Strategically, of course, this is a massive blunder. Iran is a shia government that wants, first and foremost, greater influence in its part of the world for itself. Al Qaeda is a Sunni death cult obsessed with western intervention in Saudi Arabia and a Sunni caliphate ruling the Middle East (which would, of course, topple Iran's regime). Iran and Al Qaeda -while both bad guys-- are essentially enemies. As are many of the terrorist groups and religious militias wreaking havoc in Iraq.

The way to beat them is by playing them off each other, not lumping them together. The model is the cold war: Nixon driving a wedge between Russia and China was the key strategic turn in that long conflict.

Gaffes like this --if, in fact, it was a gaffe-- are not helpful.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like I posted yesterday, the neocons are fumbling at checkers while Obama is playing Chess....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2440921]Yeah, I saw this yesterday. What a joke. And he didnt correct himself until Lieberman whispered in his ear that what he said was wrong. Wow! With all that "experience" and "knowledge" you would expect McCain to know such a fundamental difference. This is really scary. One of the reasons we are facing this mess in Iraq today is because people didnt take the time to understand the history of the people we were going to attack and their plans after the fall failed to acknowledge that history. Thats what makes McCain so damn scary. He really does not understand the problems in this region[/QUOTE]

Long resumes do not always corrolate with good judgement.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If McCain really is so stupid or confused that he believes that the Shia Ayatollahs in Iran are training/arming radical Salafi Sunnis to murder the Shia in Iraq he really should not be president. I suspect he really knew this was not true and simply using neocon tactics of lumping every faction into one group that causes the most fear amongst Americans who are ignorant about the ME. Its real easy to lump everyone under a common group and call them the enemy. And what better enemy than AQ. Even if this is not true, it makes everything neat and simple. The problem is it really is a complexity that we shouldnt make the mistake of simplifying.Thats why we are not making any progress. Bush and co has conveniently labled any insurgent group in Iraq as being AQ or Radical Islamist or my favorite Islamofascist (whatever that means). Even if they are not. This is a laughable mistake , but its one that costing us billions of dollars and American lives. It sad to see McCain do the same sloppy job bush has. Maverick my a$$. Hes the SOS.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2441135]Like I posted yesterday, the neocons are fumbling at checkers while Obama is playing Chess....[/QUOTE]

Yea Chess with his preacher!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2441192]Yea Chess with his preacher![/QUOTE]

Oh Snap!!
    You go Girl!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Iran supplies anyone and everyone who fights us or Israel.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2441197]Iran supplies anyone and everyone who fights us or Israel.[/QUOTE]

Really. Please provide the evidence you have that Iran is supplying AQ in Iraq with supplies/training to kill the Iraqi Shia. Cause thats who they are targeting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2441192]Yea Chess with his preacher![/QUOTE]

Funny how I see little of anyone refuting the content of what the Marine stated and only attacking him for what he said.

[QUOTE]"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye," Rev. Wright said in a sermon on Sept. 16, 2001.

"We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost," he told his congregation.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://powerofnarrative.blogspot.com/[/url]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2441358]Funny how I see little of anyone refuting the content of what the Marine stated and only attacking him for what he said.

[url]http://powerofnarrative.blogspot.com/[/url][/QUOTE]

First of all, they weren't nukes, they were atomic bombs.

[IMG]http://www.moonbattery.com/barack_obama_yearly_kos.jpg[/IMG]
    "Is that your quarter on the floor?"

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2441358]Funny how I see little of anyone refuting the content of what the Marine stated and only attacking him for what he said.

[url]http://powerofnarrative.blogspot.com/[/url][/QUOTE]

Yea but they tricked us into bombing Nagasaki and Hiroshima, didnt you see alexguttersons thread--cmon-get with the program.