Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Sox may boycott Japan if coaches unpaid

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Report: Sox may boycott Japan if coaches unpaid

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3301195

The sense of international goodwill Major League Baseball was hoping to spread with the Boston Red Sox-Oakland Athletics trip to Japan has been threatened before the plane even leaves the tarmac.

At issue is whether the Red Sox coaches will be paid $40,000 each -- the same as each player will be getting -- for the Japan appearance, which includes two exhibition games as well as two games that will count in the standings.

According to the Boston Herald, the Red Sox will hold a players-only meeting Wednesday morning about the situation. The players are prepared to respond to Major League Baseball with an ultimatum -- if the coaches aren't paid, the Red Sox players will not get on the plane to go to Japan, the Herald reported.

The team -- and manager Terry Francona, in particular -- was incensed when it learned each coach would not be receiving the $40,000, a stipulation that was in the original agreement to go to Japan, the Herald reported.

Francona first found out there might be an issue two days ago, when he discovered Athletics coaches already knew they were not being paid. Francona told the Boston Globe that he has been trying to reach Major League Baseball officials for two days, to no avail.

He said he did not care about the money for himself, but for some of the coaches, $40,000 is two-fifths of a salary, a tidy bonus for an 18-day trip that also includes a coaching clinic and a visit to a U.S. Army base, the Globe reported.

The Red Sox were scheduled to have a send-off, with fans cheering them on as they board their buses for the airport following a 12:05 p.m. game against the Toronto Blue Jays at City of Palms Park.

Very messed up by the league if what they're reporting is true.

But if they don't budge, instead of boycotting the trip, the players should step up (At least those making well above league min) and offer their 40,000 check to the coaches. Like Manny Ramirez needs another 40,000 when he's making 20 million a year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Very messed up by the league if what they're reporting is true.

But if they don't budge, instead of boycotting the trip, the players should step up (At least those making well above league min) and offer their 40,000 check to the coaches. Like Manny Ramirez needs another 40,000 when he's making 20 million a year.
    I understand the sentiment, Ven0m, but I don't think it's in anyway the place for the players to give up the money. You think Manny wants to go? He probably doesn't even know where Japan is.

MLB is forcing the trip down the teams throats. Based on prior reports, it's safe to say that the players absolutely hate this type of overseas trips. The Yankees and DRays hated it when they went.

Plus, I believe the coaches for the Yanks and DRays got the bonus when they went.

For some reason, MLB is being cheap here. I believe a boycott is the only way to handle this.

Hall Of Fame
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3301195

Red Sox vote not to board plane for Japan, play final spring game

Associated Press

Updated: March 19, 2008, 11:14 AM ET

* Comment
    * Email
    * Print

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Boston Red Sox are threatening to boycott their season-opening games in Japan unless their coaches and other staff are paid for making the trip.

Mike Lowell has told The Boston Globe the team voted unanimously not to take the field for their final spring training game or to board the plane later Wednesday for Japan.

Manager Terry Francona and his players are upset after learning the staff is not going to get a $40,000 stipend that the players are receiving. Francona had told his coaches they would be paid.

The World Series champions are to begin their season against Oakland with two games in Japan.

''When we voted to go to Japan, that was not a unanimous vote,'' Lowell told the Globe, "but we did what our team wanted us to do for Major League Baseball. They promised us the moon and the stars, and then when we committed, they started pulling back. It's not just the coaches, it's the staff, the trainers, a lot of people are affected by this.

"I'm so super proud of this team," Lowell said, according to the Globe. "When we put it to a vote it was unanimous, we're all in agreement that we're not going to put up with this.''

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I understand the sentiment, Ven0m, but I don't think it's in anyway the place for the players to give up the money. You think Manny wants to go? He probably doesn't even know where Japan is.
    Maybe not, but the players are much more capable of dealing with a $40,000 hit to their pockets then the bullpen coach who's making 100K a year if he's lucky. I'm not saying to make it mandatory to give up their money, but if you put togeather an optional pool and then split the money raised among the coaches, I'm sure there would be enough to well compensate them for making the trip overseas, even if it's not $40,000 dollars.

Hall Of Fame
    Maybe not, but the players are much more capable of dealing with a $40,000 hit to their pockets then the bullpen coach who's making 100K a year if he's lucky. I'm not saying to make it mandatory to give up their money, but if you put togeather an optional pool and then split the money raised among the coaches, I'm sure there would be enough to well compensate them for making the trip overseas, even if it's not $40,000 dollars.
    I don't really think the players were too thrilled to go to begin with. This probably was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Yeah, they most could have easily afforded to have taken the hit to their pockets, but they probably didn't want to go in the first place.

That's what I was thinking when I read it. Ya know, they shouldn't have to and it sounds like the MLB is in the wrong here, but the players should pony up what is essentially pocket change. $20M a year/162 games= Just north of $120k a game. $40k is 3 innings work for Manny.

Again, they shouldn't have to, but it would be a very nice gesture.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason View Post
    I don't really think the players were too thrilled to go to begin with. This probably was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Yeah, they most could have easily afforded to have taken the hit to their pockets, but they probably didn't want to go in the first place.
    You said it better than I did, JVR.

Let's put ourselves in the player's position. You're pissed to be going, but this is for goodwill so you'll do it.

BUT, you find out that your buddies are getting screwed with the trip. You're essentially doing MLB a favor here. As you mentioned, the coaches thing was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    That's what I was thinking when I read it. Ya know, they shouldn't have to and it sounds like the MLB is in the wrong here, but the players should pony up what is essentially pocket change. $20M a year/162 games= Just north of $120k a game. $40k is 3 innings work for Manny.

Again, they shouldn't have to, but it would be a very nice gesture.
    And MLB is a multi-BILLION dollar business that will take in millions of more dollars in advertising and other revenues by going to Japan.

It wouldn't be a nice gesture at all by the players, it would be foolish because they would be coming out of pocket while the fat cats in MLB are getting even fatter off this Japan trip.

Hall Of Fame
    Good. Make them forfeit the games then.

First of all, the players are only getting something at all because they are members of the country's strongest union. These bonuses are a concession to that union. Second, the fans in Japan aren't paying money to see the coaches, they're there to see players.

Your boss sends you on a business trip in the best interests of the company, you go. It's up to your boss if he wants to provide you a bonus for it or not.

The Sox were looking for an excuse to not have to make this trip. They saw what it did to the Yanks and Rays last time around. You're kidding yourself if you think Manny Ramirez and Co. voted unanimously on this soley for the good of the 3rd base coach.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Does anyone know why the coaches are all of a sudden getting screwed? Was it the original understanding of all parties that they would be getting this $40k? Did all other coaches of teams that have gone in the past get this payment?

If that is the case, that's pretty disgraceful....I'll withhold judgment until all the facts come out, but if this is simply a case of MLB being cheap and slipping a fast one past everyone in the final Agreement, I think what the Mazzholes are doing is 100% in the right.

If neither MLB or the Sox budge (and I doubt that will happen), I wonder what that would mean for the Sox. Would they have to forfeit the games? I would assume so.

By the way, it sounds to me like the written agreement stated the coaches would not get the $40K bonus, and the Sox agreed to it. If that is the case, suck it up and go on the trip.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    If neither MLB or the Sox budge (and I doubt that will happen), I wonder what that would mean for the Sox. Would they have to forfeit the games? I would assume so.
    It probably doesn't come to that. I think MLB caves and puts in the money. They would have some serious egg on their faces if they have to back out of the Japanese agreement.

By the way, it sounds to me like the written agreement stated the coaches would not get the $40K bonus, and the Sox agreed to it. .

where did you get that info from?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffboy View Post
    where did you get that info from?
    Because there's not a chance in hell that MLB signed a document saying that the coaches would get paid $40K and then just decided they wouldn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason View Post
    It probably doesn't come to that. I think MLB caves and puts in the money. They would have some serious egg on their faces if they have to back out of the Japanese agreement.
    Oh yeah, I definitely agree. I don't think there's a chance that MLB doesn't pony up. It's pennies to them and they don't need that bad PR.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Because there's not a chance in hell that MLB signed a document saying that the coaches would get paid $40K and then just decided they wouldn't do that.
    I think youre probably right.

My guess is that the money went to the coaches in the past, it was assumed that they would get it again (whether it was explicitly stated or not) and when the final agreement was reached, no one checked for that specific clause. Or rather, no one who had a vested interest in the coaches getting their share bothered to ensure it was included in the agreement.

Red Sox get what they want, Coaches will be paid.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sp...d-coaches-win/

Hall Of Fame
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...ns%3Cbr%20/%3E

Here's another article that says the dispute is resolved.

P.S. Is it just me or does Daisuke look a little soft in the picture?