Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama: Fire Imus

Obama: Fire Imus

Interesting...

In an interview with ABC News Wednesday afternoon, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., called for the firing of talk radio host Don Imus. Obama said he would never again appear on Imus' show, which is broadcast on CBS Radio and MSNBC television.

"I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus," Obama told ABC News, "but I would also say that there's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude."

[URL="http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3031317"]http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3031317[/URL]

It's funny, not one mention of "taking things out of context". :rolleyes:

Obama said he appeared once on Imus' show two years ago, and "I have no intention of returning."

[QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2440953]Interesting...

In an interview with ABC News Wednesday afternoon, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., called for the firing of talk radio host Don Imus. Obama said he would never again appear on Imus' show, which is broadcast on CBS Radio and MSNBC television.

"I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus," Obama told ABC News, "but I would also say that there's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude."

[URL="http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3031317"]http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3031317[/URL][/QUOTE]

That almost sounds like outrage towards racially insensitive remarks . . . no, wait, let's see how he feels about them 20 years from now . . . maybe he won't remember ever hearing those comments . . . or maybe he'll decide hearing them is exactly what MAKES him a better American, and end up thanking Imus . . . calling him part of his family . . .

It's very simple:

Some people believe racism against whites is acceptable. Their worldview simply believes today's whites deserve it, because of the actions of whites from 50 to 2000 years ago.

They absolve any black person of any responsabillity whatsoever, both today and throughout history, and lay the blame squarely on today's white American men as the cause of all evil.

And what is sad is this is not a fringe belief system. This is mainstream.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2441206]It's very simple:

Some people believe racism against whites is acceptable. Their worldview simply believes today's whites deserve it, because of the actions of whites from 50 to 2000 years ago.

They absolve any black person of any responsabillity whatsoever, both today and throughout history, and lay the blame squarely on today's white American men as the cause of all evil.

And what is sad is this is not a fringe belief system. This is mainstream.[/QUOTE]

You're right,and its very frustrating. I've pretty much given up hope on anything changing. When parents like the Obama's take their children to a church where they are subjected to racist indoctrination you have to accept the fact that the next generation is doomed.

And so on and so forth.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Company_Man;2441231]You're right,and its very frustrating...[/QUOTE]

I know...I'm tired of being accused that I can't dance. Very frustrating indeed.

Listen if the Reverend Wright/Wrong says White American Men are to blame he must be Wright/Wrong!

Jets Insider VIP
    I posed this question in the Lott thread.

How are these situations (Imus & Wright), related for Obama?

Did Obama say that Wright (if he actually had a TV or radio show) should stay on the air despite his racist rhetoric?

Did Obama say that Imus should be disowned by his family & friends because he called the Rutgers team nappy headed ho's?

Obama denounced Wright's statements and said he would not disown him because he's part of the family. How is that in any way related to him saying that Imus should be fired?

[QUOTE=SMC;2443301]Obama denounced Wright's statements and said he would not disown him because he's part of the family. How is that in any way related to him saying that Imus should be fired?[/QUOTE]

Obamam did the politically expediant thing and "denounced" wright, and yes, the quotation marks are quite valid here. Be assured, there is NO real denouncement involved whatsoever. Only a PR campaign.

Second, Wright is not "family". Obama can claim he is all he likes. Fact is, he isn't.

The reason it screams hypocricy is simple: One one side you have a comic radio personallity, who got a ton a ****e for something far less vile than anything uttered by Black Comediens and rappers every single day. But because anti-white male racism is a profitable business for some, Imus was tarred and feathered.

On the other side you have a preacher and part of a Presidential Candidates inner team, NOT a humorist, comedian or entertainer, but someone who's teaching inspire and motivate and guide our potential next presidient....and that preacher is an outright white-hating racist. There is no if's and or but's, this preacher blames white america for all his and the worlds ills.

You would expect any objective man to decry one (the preacher and presidential advisor) more than the other (the comic), but alas, not in our world.

In our world, Obama defends the racist (Wright) whilst decrying the white comic (Imus) for doing the same schtick black comics do all the time....and whom Obama has not once decried for it.

[QUOTE=SMC;2443301]I posed this question in the Lott thread.

How are these situations (Imus & Wright), related for Obama?

Did Obama say that Wright (if he actually had a TV or radio show) should stay on the air despite his racist rhetoric?

Did Obama say that Imus should be disowned by his family & friends because he called the Rutgers team nappy headed ho's?

Obama denounced Wright's statements and said he would not disown him because he's part of the family. How is that in any way related to him saying that Imus should be fired?[/QUOTE]

C'mon, SMC, I KNOW you're better than this. Obama said he would fire ANYONE on his staff for making comments similar to Imus' toward ANY race, and that he would NEVER go on Imus show. Those are pretty strong sentiments toward someone who used lingo Chris Rock uses on a regular basis.

Yet a man with much HARSHER, HATE-FILLED rhetoric is not only excused, but is referred to as a mentor, uncle, etc. He's the minister at his wedding, baptizes his children, on his advisory council, a part of his life for TWENTY YEARS.

But that's OK, because when things got tough, he decided to "denounce" the statements (although I'm still expected to understand where he's coming from, and try to see this as an example of how we all have to come together and heal the wounds of hate . . .)

I've said this before -- I don't hate Obama. But people are bending over backwards making excuses for him. His speech may have sounded pretty, but there's NO WAY you honestly thought he was sickened by his pastor's words.

Just hold him accountable as you would any other candidate . . . that's all I ask;)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=OCCH;2443346]C'mon, SMC, I KNOW you're better than this. Obama said he would fire ANYONE on his staff for making comments similar to Imus' toward ANY race, and that he would NEVER go on Imus show. Those are pretty strong sentiments toward someone who used lingo Chris Rock uses on a regular basis.
    [/QUOTE]

But OCCH, Obama removed Wright from his campaign. I understand Warfish's point about political expediency, but what more could Obama do about Wright?

I'm not playing coy in this situation. The point is you have 2 people who make racist statements (if you've listened to Imus, then you know that he's made racist statements for YEARS) and Obama denounced the statements of both.

I simply don't see the connection. Obama is not defending Wright's statements, he denounced them just like he criticized Imus. He is not saying that Wright should be treated one way and Imus another.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2443340]Obamam did the politically expediant thing and "denounced" wright, and yes, the quotation marks are quite valid here. Be assured, there is NO real denouncement involved whatsoever. Only a PR campaign.

Second, Wright is not "family". Obama can claim he is all he likes. Fact is, he isn't.

The reason it screams [B]hypocricy[/B] is simple: One one side you have a comic radio personallity, who got a ton a ****e for something far less vile than anything uttered by Black Comediens and rappers every single day. But because anti-white male racism is a profitable business for some, Imus was tarred and feathered.

On the other side you have a preacher and part of a Presidential Candidates inner team, NOT a humorist, comedian or entertainer, but someone who's teaching inspire and motivate and guide our potential next presidient....and that preacher is an outright white-hating racist. There is no if's and or but's, this preacher blames white america for all his and the worlds ills.

You would expect any objective man to decry one (the preacher and presidential advisor) more than the other (the comic), but alas, not in our world.

In our world, [B]Obama defends the racist (Wright) whilst decrying the white comic (Imus) for doing the same schtick black comics do all the time[/B]....and whom Obama has not once decried for it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a lot of "WHAA, WHAA! Blacks get to use the n-word so why can't whites?!"

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2443340]Obamam did the politically expediant thing and "denounced" wright, and yes, the quotation marks are quite valid here. Be assured, there is NO real denouncement involved whatsoever. Only a PR campaign.

The reason it screams hypocricy is simple: One one side you have a comic radio personallity, who got a ton a ****e for something far less vile than anything uttered by Black Comediens and rappers every single day. But because anti-white male racism is a profitable business for some, Imus was tarred and feathered.

In our world, Obama defends the racist (Wright) whilst decrying the white comic (Imus) for doing the same schtick black comics do all the time....and whom Obama has not once decried for it.[/QUOTE]

Imus is an out-and-out racist. Let's get this clear. The Rutgers incident was not the first time. He called Patrick Ewing a knuckle dragging gorilla and hired his right hand man to, I quote "do n---er jokes." This wasn't a "schtick" for Imus.

Wright is a racist and so is Imus. I get what you're saying about political expediency, but again, where did Obama say that Imus should be disowned by his family and close friends? He didn't. Imus's friends at WFAN denounced him for what he said, were they suppose to dissasociate themselves from him as well?

[QUOTE=Blacksmurf;2443364]Sounds like a lot of "WHAA, WHAA! Blacks get to use the n-word so why can't whites?!"[/QUOTE]

Actually, that's a pretty good question . . .

Hold Up

Has all this Wright business changed anyones minds about voting for Obama?

[QUOTE=OCCH;2443373]Actually, that's a pretty good question . . .[/QUOTE]

And if you don't know the answer to it, then you have no reason whatsoever to use the word!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Blacksmurf;2443374]Has all this Wright business changed anyones minds about voting for Obama?[/QUOTE]

My guess is not in any significant way.

The people harping about this are the same people who weren't going to vote for him in the first place. He may take a couple point dip in the polls short term, but in the fall when the Presidential race is in full swing, this will be mostly forgotten. The attitude will be "who cares about what Obama's pastor thinks...i care about what Obama thinks...he's the one running for President."

JMO

[QUOTE=SMC;2443371]Imus is an out-and-out racist. Let's get this clear. The Rutgers incident was not the first time. He called Patrick Ewing a knuckle dragging gorilla and hired his right hand man to, I quote "do n---er jokes." This wasn't a "schtick" for Imus.

Wright is a racist and so is Imus. I get what you're saying about political expediency, but again, where did Obama say that Imus should be disowned by his family and close friends? He didn't. Imus's friends at WFAN denounced him for what he said, were they suppose to dissasociate themselves from him as well?[/QUOTE]

I guess it's just the "degree" of the denouncement that is so questionable.

When this whole firestorm first started, Obama initially didn't even remove Wright from his advisory council -- that only came when the pressure to do so became too great (i.e. "political expediency")

Of course I'd expect someone like Obama to be more upset with Imus than Wright, because Imus' comments were AGAINST blacks, whereas Wright's SUPPORTED blacks (at least in his eyes). It's human nature, and I get it.

But somehow I'm supposed to believe he's equally offended, and treated each situation the same, and I don't see how anyone could actually see it that way.

But I guess we'll just agree to disagree . . .

[QUOTE=SMC;2443371]Imus is an out-and-out racist. Let's get this clear. The Rutgers incident was not the first time. He called Patrick Ewing a knuckle dragging gorilla and hired his right hand man to, I quote "do n---er jokes." This wasn't a "schtick" for Imus.

Wright is a racist and so is Imus. I get what you're saying about political expediency, but again, where did Obama say that Imus should be disowned by his family and close friends? He didn't. Imus's friends at WFAN denounced him for what he said, were they suppose to dissasociate themselves from him as well?[/QUOTE]

Well, Obama spent about 20 minutes with Imus and the "nappy headed ho's" comment was too much for him to bear (even though it wasn't said in his presence).

On the other hand, he's spent 20 YEARS with Wright.