Thread: Bush says Iraq War was worth it.

Bush says Iraq War was worth it.

What a clown.

Somehow I doubt that Americans would have signed on for a war to rid Iraq of weapons it didn't have because of ties to Al Qaeda it didn't possess in which 4,000 of our troops were killed and the cost was more than $500 billion.

Instead we were told by Bushies that Iraq had WMDs (which, granted a lot of folks believed), had operational ties to Al Qaeda (which there was no good evidence of, ever), that it would be over in a "cakewalk" (Rumsfeld) and that oil revenues would cover the cost (Feith).

[QUOTE]Five years on, Bush says no regrets on Iraq war

Matt Spetalnick
    Reuters North American News Service

Mar 19, 2008 09:22 EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush said Wednesday he had no regrets about the unpopular war in Iraq despite the "high cost in lives and treasure" and declared that the United States was on track for a major victory there.

Marking the fifth anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion with a touch of the swagger he showed early in the war, Bush said in a speech at the Pentagon, "The successes we are seeing in Iraq are undeniable."

With less than 11 months left in office and his approval ratings near the lows of his presidency, Bush is trying to shore up support for the Iraq campaign, which has damaged U.S. credibility abroad and is sure to define his legacy.

But he faced the challenge of winning the attention of Americans more preoccupied with mounting economic troubles and increasingly focused on the race to pick his successor in the November election.

Bush's Democratic critics used the anniversary as a chance to reassert accusations that Bush launched the invasion based on faulty intelligence, mismanaged the war and failed to put together an exit strategy.

"Five years into this battle, there is an understandable debate over whether the war was worth fighting, whether the fight is worth winning, and whether we can win it," Bush said.

"The answers are clear to me: Removing Saddam Hussein from power was the right decision, and this is a fight America can and must win," he said.

Appealing to war-weary Americans for patience, Bush touted the security gains from a troop buildup or "surge" that he ordered early last year. He said retreat now would embolden al Qaeda and Iran.

"The surge has done more than turn the situation in Iraq around -- it has opened the door to a major strategic victory in the broader war on terror," Bush said, referring to increased cooperation of Iraqi Sunnis in fighting al Qaeda.

Such an assertion could come back to haunt Bush if the situation deteriorates. War critics have roundly mocked Bush for his premature declaration in May 2003 that "major combat operations" in Iraq were over as he stood on the USS Abraham Lincoln under a banner reading "Mission Accomplished."

Possibly mindful of that, Bush said, "No one would argue that this war has not come at a high cost in lives and treasure, but those costs are necessary when we consider the cost of a strategic victory for our enemies in Iraq," he said.

Not all anniversary assessments were as upbeat as Bush's. A Washington Post-ABC News poll showed nearly two-thirds of Americans believe the war was not worth waging.

Told about the poll result in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America," Vice President Dick Cheney, in Oman after a visit to Iraq, said: "So?" He added: "I think we cannot be blown off course by the fluctuations of the public opinion polls."

The war has cost the United States $500 billion. Tens of thousands of Iraqis have been killed and millions displaced. Nearly 4,000 U.S. soldiers have been killed, as well as 175 British troops and 134 from other countries. (Reporting by Matt Spetalnick; Editing by Patricia Wilson and avid Storey)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2441010]What a clown.

Somehow I doubt that Americans would have signed on for a war to rid Iraq of weapons it didn't have because of ties to Al Qaeda it didn't possess in which 4,000 of our troops were killed and the cost was more than $500 billion.

Instead we were told by Bushies that Iraq had WMDs (which, granted a lot of folks believed), had operational ties to Al Qaeda (which there was no good evidence of, ever), that it would be over in a "cakewalk" (Rumsfeld) and that oil revenues would cover the cost (Feith).[/QUOTE]

But you are being anti-American if you question the president. Do not question...only follow. Being American means that you follow your leader. if you have a little doubt just listen to Sean Hannity and he'll put you back on track. Because in 2008, Its more important to secure a machine gun then protecting our right to speak up and protest peacefully. :zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 03-19-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Honestly, if Bush really believes this was worth the cost, he's mentally unbalanced.

Can you imagine anyone supporting the war in advance if they knew that:

1) There were no WMDs;
    2) There was no Iraq-AQ relationship;
    3) It would cost waaaaaay more than $500 billion
    4) Five years in, it would remain completely unclear whether we could leave
    5) The invasion itself would create new terrorist organizations, such as AQ in Iraq, that didn't previously exist
    6) There'd be more than 4,000 U.S. casualties.
    7) And the new Iraqi "government" would be far more sympathetic to Iran.

Yup, I'm sure everyone would have signed up for that in advance. Clearly getting rid of a weak-but-brutal dictator who posed no threat at all to our security was worth that.

All Pro
    More Americans have been killed in Iraq than all of the modern terrorist attacks around the world combined.

U.S. Wounded and medical evacuations

[url]http://icasualties.org/oif/[/url]

scroll down the page...

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2441049]Can you imagine anyone supporting the war in advance [B]if they knew that[/B]:
    [/QUOTE]

If we only knew THEN what we know NOW....

I'm sure many things in history would be different if people knew outcomes in advance.

The worst part is that if we ever get out of Iraq, these hero soldiers will be forgotten rather quickly by the proponents of this war....Very few will care about the mental and physical scars these kids will bear for the rest of their lives.....

The vast majority of the people in the U.S. have no real attachment to this war and have not sacrificed anything in what is now basically an occupation...

Years from now most people will be living their good lives without much thought to the soldiers who have died or were wounded over in Iraq....But hey they support the troops now....:rolleyes:
    Last edited by jetsmetsrangers; 03-19-2008 at 12:04 PM.

[QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2441069]If we only knew THEN what we know NOW....

I'm sure many things in history would be different if people knew outcomes in advance.[/QUOTE]

Of course.

But Bush does know all that now when he says it was worth it. He is speaking in retrospect and still not admitting error. He is saying he'd invade again knowing it would turn out like this.

That is insane.

I'm sure many things in history would be different if people knew outcomes in advance.[/QUOTE]

tell me how in 1998, a college kid doing a research paper can learn that Bin Laden hated Saddam and considered him an infidel, yet the president was given bad intell about their relationship. Does that seem believable to you? Because I can email you the term paper to prove that end of the story....

[QUOTE=jetsmetsrangers;2441079]The worst part is that if we ever get out of Iraq, these hero soldiers will be forgotten rather quickly by the proponents of this war....Very few will care about the mental and physical scars these kids will bear for the rest of their lives.....

The vast majority of the people in the U.S. have no real attachment to this war and have not sacrificed anything in what is now basically an occupation...

Years from now most people will be living their good lives without much thought to the soldiers who are died or wounded over in Iraq....But hey they support the troops now....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Very good post.

These guys have served their country honorably. They don't get to write their own orders; they have to follow them.

We need to be sure they get the care they deserve going forward.

[QUOTE=jetsmetsrangers;2441079]The worst part is that if we ever get out of Iraq, these hero soldiers will be forgotten rather quickly by the proponents of this war....Very few will care about the mental and physical scars these kids will bear for the rest of their lives.....

Years from now most people will be living their good lives without much thought to the soldiers who have died or wounded over in Iraq....But hey they support the troops now....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Try to figure out how, in the United States of America, we can have a hospital for the veterans in the condition that walter reed was in? And, trust me, that was not the only V.A. hospital in such poor shape.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 03-19-2008 at 12:08 PM.

All League
    Wait a minute, Bush claimed "Mission Accomplished" years ago. The war is over. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]Vice President Dick Cheney, in Oman after a visit to Iraq, said: "So?"[/QUOTE]

I just saw this interview...... what a bastard... I cant put in2 words on how much I hate Chaney........ he was like..... the american people can kiss my ass on what they think.... the guy has 0 class

The thing is, we did know alot of this then. People with a knowledge of the history of Iraq predicted that there would be an insurgency and fighting between Sunni and Shia groups. We predicted the ethnic cleansing at the hands of Shia Militias and to a lesser degree Sunni militias. We also predicted a Shia majority would be elected that would be more sympathetic to Iran than to us. We were also saying how Saddam viewed AQ as an enemy , but instead BS artists like Stephen Hayes wrote a book based on a discounted informant and was idolized and treated as fact by Cgheney (even though the DOD discounted it), We predicted all this 5 years ago b/c we knew the history of these people but we were discounted by the administration and accused of being unpatriotic and defeatest. We were being realistic. To say that this is all hindsight is flat out bull****.
    Last edited by kennyo7; 03-19-2008 at 04:28 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=JETZONI;2441455]I just saw this interview...... what a bastard... I cant put in2 words on how much I hate Chaney........ he was like..... the american people can kiss my ass on what they think.... the guy has 0 class[/QUOTE]

Careful what you say about Cheney! He might shoot you in the face, and claim he was looking in to the sun!