Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: St.Johns Is clueless!!!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    I wonder how that would of worked out? I think you are giving Doherty too much credit, but only time will tell how he does at SMU, if he builds that program up, that would be ultra impressive.
    He turned around ND and brought in the recruits that won a National Title at UNC. It's hard to win at St. John's but I think he is a great recruiter and would have had SJ in the upper half of the BE by now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    He was definitely in the running and badly wanted the St. John's job.
    Nobody was going to give him a major job after the disaster he had at Carolina. When the players are going to the AD , then you know there are serious problems.

As a Carolina fan i hope he never gets a decent job again, but you know the minute he has a good year down there he will be looking for a better job. SMU is just another stepping stone if he manages to win there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was at ND for one year, the majority of players were not his recruits, you are giving him way too much credit.

He turned around ND and brought in the recruits that won a National Title at UNC. It's hard to win at St. John's but I think he is a great recruiter and would have had SJ in the upper half of the BE by now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan_Johnny View Post
    Nobody was going to give him a major job after the disaster he had at Carolina. When the players are going to the AD , then you know there are serious problems.

As a Carolina fan i hope he never gets a decent job again, but you know the minute he has a good year down there he will be looking for a better job. SMU is just another stepping stone if he manages to win there.
    You are right, he wasn't getting a major job but last Ichecked St. John's is not a major job. It's on the lower rung of the top conferences and Carolina wasn't a disaster. He won when they had talent, he lost some talent and replaced them w/ better talent. If Sean May doesn't get hurt in '03 the Heels make the Tourney and Doherty probably keeps his job.

Why would you not want Doherty to get another job? He tried to win, his was in a little over his head but he recruited most of the '05 Title team and he's the reason Roy is here now. If UNC hired someone more succeesful than Doherty in '00 then the job would not have opened up and Roy would not have come back.

I will always wish Doherty well b/c he is a Tar Heel.

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    He was at ND for one year, the majority of players were not his recruits, you are giving him way too much credit.
    http://www.nd.edu/~observer/08192000/Sports/0.html

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    so was I....in fact I was in Lexington for the Final Four in 1985....
    Class of '86 here --first two years at SI campus last two in Queens--also went to the same HS as Mullen. Still cant stand Ewing and was thrilled seeing G-Town go out this weekend---

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are right, he wasn't getting a major job but last Ichecked St. John's is not a major job. It's on the lower rung of the top conferences and Carolina wasn't a disaster. He won when they had talent, he lost some talent and replaced them w/ better talent. If Sean May doesn't get hurt in '03 the Heels make the Tourney and Doherty probably keeps his job.

Why would you not want Doherty to get another job? He tried to win, his was in a little over his head but he recruited most of the '05 Title team and he's the reason Roy is here now. If UNC hired someone more succeesful than Doherty in '00 then the job would not have opened up and Roy would not have come back.

I will always wish Doherty well b/c he is a Tar Heel.

http://www.nd.edu/~observer/08192000/Sports/0.html

Not only did he not win, but he missed the tourney altogether and for me that really sums it up. besides that, the is program didn't carry itself with the same class and professionalism as the program always had and does again. The players were running amuck, going to the AD and the press complaining about practices etc.

The reason he ended up at podunk U down in Florida is not becuase UNC fired him it is because nobody is going to hire a coach that damn near drove one of the greatest programs in all of college basketball into the friggin ground.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect112row36 View Post
    Class of '86 here --first two years at SI campus last two in Queens--also went to the same HS as Mullen. Still cant stand Ewing and was thrilled seeing G-Town go out this weekend---
    Xaverian pride

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not only did he not win, but he missed the tourney altogether and for me that really sums it up. besides that, the is program didn't carry itself with the same class and professionalism as the program always had and does again. The players were running amuck, going to the AD and the press complaining about practices etc.

The reason he ended up at podunk U down in Florida is not becuase UNC fired him it is because nobody is going to hire a coach that damn near drove one of the greatest programs in all of college basketball into the friggin ground.

He was handed a roster w/o talent after his 1st year. Guthridge did an awful job recruiting and the cupboard was bare, in 1 year he re-stocked w/ Championship players. He has alot of growing up to do as a coach but he's a tremendous recruiter and there's no way SJU would be this bad if they had hired him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was handed a roster w/o talent after his 1st year. Guthridge did an awful job recruiting and the cupboard was bare, in 1 year he re-stocked w/ Championship players. He has alot of growing up to do as a coach but he's a tremendous recruiter and there's no way SJU would be this bad if they had hired him.

The cupboard at Carolina has never been NIT bare I am sorry. The guy is not a big conference caliber coach at this point in his career. If he was such a tremendous recruiter why did the kids he recruited undermine his authority?

The reason he couldn't find work was because the condition the program was in and that goes way beyond wins and losses.

it all worked out in the end. Roy Williams has us back in the limelight while that hack deals with life as a conference USA bottom feeder.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Xaverian pride
    Class of '82, yourself?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cupboard at Carolina has never been NIT bare I am sorry. The guy is not a big conference caliber coach at this point in his career. If he was such a tremendous recruiter why did the kids he recruited undermine his authority?

The reason he couldn't find work was because the condition the program was in and that goes way beyond wins and losses.

it all worked out in the end. Roy Williams has us back in the limelight while that hack deals with life as a conference USA bottom feeder.
    The cupboard was absolutely bare. We had 2 seniors in jason Capel and Kris Lang who were nothing more than role players, we had a freshman PG who wasn't ACC caliber in Adam Boone, Jawad Williams was not ready to start yet he was, we had Brian Morrison at the 2 who was a freshman and not ready to start. look at the roster below:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/...=153&year=2002

and that was NOT his fault, it was Gut's fault.

The program was in GREAT shape talent wise which is why in year 2 Roy won a National Championship. Matt was not a great coach and has alot of learning to do BUT he's a great recruiter and would have been a perfect fit at SJu where they would be a Tounrey team today if he was hired instead of Norm Roberts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cupboard was absolutely bare. We had 2 seniors in jason Capel and Kris Lang who were nothing more than role players, we had a freshman PG who wasn't ACC caliber in Adam Boone, Jawad Williams was not ready to start yet he was, we had Brian Morrison at the 2 who was a freshman and not ready to start. look at the roster below:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/...=153&year=2002

and that was NOT his fault, it was Gut's fault.

The program was in GREAT shape talent wise which is why in year 2 Roy won a National Championship. Matt was not a great coach and has alot of learning to do BUT he's a great recruiter and would have been a perfect fit at SJu where they would be a Tounrey team today if he was hired instead of Norm Roberts.

He is still not a great coach which is why he is a bottom feeder in pathetic conference USA. If he couldn't coach his way to the tourney consistantly in Carolina you think he could do so in the Big East? Keep in mind Syracuse is struggling to make tourney every year since the big east expansion and he is no where near the coach/recruiter Jim B. is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect112row36 View Post
    Class of '82, yourself?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is still not a great coach which is why he is a bottom feeder in pathetic conference USA. If he couldn't coach his way to the tourney consistantly in Carolina you think he could do so in the Big East? Keep in mind Syracuse is struggling to make tourney every year since the big east expansion and he is no where near the coach/recruiter Jim B. is.

He just got to SMU, give him some time and YES he's a better recruiter than Boeheim. SU has never had a class like Carolina's '02 class that Doherty brought in.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He just got to SMU, give him some time and YES he's a better recruiter than Boeheim. SU has never had a class like Carolina's '02 class that Doherty brought in.

We have to agree to disagree. But Boeheim's class of 02 won the same amount of championships as Doherty's 02 class.

In the seven seasons Doherty has coached he has one trip to the NCAA tourney.

He was never qualified for the job and his hiring has a huge mistake. the way he treated the Phil Ford and the rest of the coaching/administrative staff was absurd.

You would think as a "Carolina guy" would have treated other "carolina guys" better than he had.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You hit the nail on the head.

We have to agree to disagree. But Boeheim's class of 02 won the same amount of championships as Doherty's 02 class.

He was never qualified for the job and his hiring has a huge mistake. the way he treated the Phil Ford and the rest of the coaching/administrative staff was absurd.

You would think as a "Carolina guy" would have treated other "carolina guys" better than he had.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

That was b/c of one player. obviously Anthony was the best of all those recruits but after him the big 3 of Carolina were MUCH better than McNamara and co. and David Noel turned out to be as good as McNamara.

He was an inexperienced coach, I would hope he has learned from that experience. He's still a member of the Carolina family and I hope he does well. He didn't want to struggle at UNC, he tried to win and he brought in a Championship class.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was b/c of one player. obviously Anthony was the best of all those recruits but after him the big 3 of Carolina were MUCH better than McNamara and co. and David Noel turned out to be as good as McNamara.

He was an inexperienced coach, I would hope he has learned from that experience. He's still a member of the Carolina family and I hope he does well. He didn't want to struggle at UNC, he tried to win and he brought in a Championship class.

Was Phil Ford a member of the carolina family when he fired him???

I am sorry he doesnt get a pass from me just because he was a hire from within.

I didnt say the Syracuse class was better I said they won the same number of championships. That is not debatable it is fact.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was Phil Ford a member of the carolina family when he fired him???

I am sorry he doesnt get a pass from me just because he was a hire from within.

I didnt say the Syracuse class was better I said they won the same number of championships. That is not debatable it is fact.
    He didn't fire Phil Ford, he brought his staff w/ him and there wasn't room for Ford. If Ford didn't have alcohol problems he likely would be the coach today.

SU won the same # of Championships but their '03 team wasn't nearly as good as the '05 Heels and they weren't 8-20 the year before they arrived on campus.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can continue to go round and round . If he was at Notre Dame with the same staff for a couple of years and he wanted to bring them with him I would be fine but he was there for one friggin year.

Lets just agree to disagree, only time will tell if he can coach.