Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: St.Johns Is clueless!!!!!!!!!

St.Johns Is clueless!!!!!!!!!

What a freakin Joke bringing back a Losing coach{Norm Roberts} for a 5th yr bec his players have a high GPA!

Norm is a Horror show as coaches goes & has failed to sign one recruit for this season.

RedStorm=laughing stock of college hoops!

Veteran
    Heartbreaking. I was there for the Mullen, Berry, Wennington glory years.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard JETfan View Post
    What a freakin Joke bringing back a Losing coach{Norm Roberts} for a 5th yr bec his players have a high GPA!

Norm is a Horror show as coaches goes & has failed to sign one recruit for this season.

RedStorm=laughing stock of college hoops!
    i totally agree.how can St Johns not be able to recruit all these great city players?i don't think they care anymore.

As an alum it kills me to see SJU relegated to basketball insignificance. Norm Roberts reminds me of Herm Edwards. He says and does all the right things, but his Xs and Os leave quite a bit to be desired.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't follow college basketball that closely, but it's a real damn shame when I see the top New York born and bred talent go to the other Div I schools outside of New York. I mean, i don't really blame the kids for doing it, but still, one can only imagine if we kept our own talent.

be happy your in the wnit

They made a hugemke not hiring Matt Doherty a few years ago, he has growing up to do as a coach but as a recruiter he would have owned the NYC area and had top 10-20 talent playing at SJU by now.

From what i have read, the reasoning behind giving Robert one more year is pretty simple. It took him 3+ years to repair the damage that Jarvis did with the local schools and AAU programs. Last year was the first year that he had a strong recruiting class and this year is supposed to equal that or do better. The school realized that Jarvis almost DESTROYED the recruiting base in his own backyard b/c he ignored, irritated, and angered every (that is right EVERY) local school and AAU program. They wanted to give Roberts enough time to repair the damage which it appears that he did and now they will judge him on results. In my opinion it is a good move, but now we need to start to see some progress.

Quote Originally Posted by klynch View Post
    Last year was the first year that he had a strong recruiting class and this year is supposed to equal that or do better.
    What?? According to Rivals.com he hasn't signed a single recruit yet. As a matter of fact, of the remaining uncommitted players on the Rivals 150, SJU isn't in the running for any of them, despite the fact that several of them are from the Northeast. Does he even have any available scholarships for next season? I think there was only one or two seniors on this year's team.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Seems like St. Johns started going downhill when they got PC and changed from the Redmen of St. John's.

All Pro
    Doherty wouldnt help at all. No one, sans Calapari would really help the situation. Recruiting in NYC is a joke. The kid doesn't even pick anymore; its all about what his parents and coaches want out of the deal.

AAU teams are more powerful than the NCAA, its gotten to the point all of the coaches in the Big East recruit based on a single AAU team because if you try to develop a relationship with more than one AAU coach in NYC, you'll get blacklisted. The high school you play for has now become irrelevant.

Another problem SJU has is that it has dorms now. Instead of giving kids stipends they get free housing. The old players used to get cheap apartments near campus and pocket the rest of the cash.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

SJU's woes all stem from Jarvis...catching up to where they were may never happen again, but there is no reason they cannot have a respectable program soon.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sect112row36 View Post
    Heartbreaking. I was there for the Mullen, Berry, Wennington glory years.
    so was I....in fact I was in Lexington for the Final Four in 1985....

You are talking about the coach who took UNC to the NIT? He has been at 4 schools over the last 8 years, he would not of saved St. John's. He would of used St. John's like ND and jump ship as fast as possible.

The fall of St. Johns is a shame, hopefully they will bounce back, but the Big East is a tough league and having Gonzalez and Hill in their backyard doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    They made a hugemke not hiring Matt Doherty a few years ago, he has growing up to do as a coach but as a recruiter he would have owned the NYC area and had top 10-20 talent playing at SJU by now.
    Last edited by cr726; 03-20-2008 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Doherty wouldnt help at all. No one, sans Calapari would really help the situation. Recruiting in NYC is a joke. The kid doesn't even pick anymore; its all about what his parents and coaches want out of the deal.

AAU teams are more powerful than the NCAA, its gotten to the point all of the coaches in the Big East recruit based on a single AAU team because if you try to develop a relationship with more than one AAU coach in NYC, you'll get blacklisted. The high school you play for has now become irrelevant.

Another problem SJU has is that it has dorms now. Instead of giving kids stipends they get free housing. The old players used to get cheap apartments near campus and pocket the rest of the cash.
    Doherty is a great recruiter, he would have had alot more talent at SJU. he brought back ND w/ recruting and UNC won a National Title w/ his recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    You are talking about the coach who took UNC to the NIT? He has been at 4 schools over the last 8 years, he would not of saved St. John's. He would of used St. John's like ND and jump ship as fast as possible.

The fall of St. Johns is a shame, hopefully they will bounce back, but the Big East is a tough league and having Gonzalez and Hill in their backyard doesn't help.
    He was in a bad spot. Bill Guthridge did a poor job of recruiting so after the good players left after '01 Carolina had very little talent, they shouldn't have been 8-20 in '02 but they had very little talent. In '03 he led them to the NIT b/c Sean may got hurt, they were ranked pretty high early in the year and they had crushed Kansas who would go on to lose in the Title game.

If SJU hired him instead of ND, he would of stayed one year and would of left for UNC.

It will be interesting how he does at SMU.

Doherty is a great recruiter, he would have had alot more talent at SJU. he brought back ND w/ recruting and UNC won a National Title w/ his recruits.

He was in a bad spot. Bill Guthridge did a poor job of recruiting so after the good players left after '01 Carolina had very little talent, they shouldn't have been 8-20 in '02 but they had very little talent. In '03 he led them to the NIT b/c Sean may got hurt, they were ranked pretty high early in the year and they had crushed Kansas who would go on to lose in the Title game.

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    If SJU hired him instead of ND, he would of stayed one year and would of left for UNC.

It will be interesting how he does at SMU.
    He was a candidate AFTER he was fired from UNC. They hired Norm Roberts over him.

Was Doherty in the running? He was still under contract for 2 years with UNC and was out of basketball all together until he went to FAU.

He was a candidate AFTER he was fired from UNC. They hired Norm Roberts over him.

He was definitely in the running and badly wanted the St. John's job.

I wonder how that would of worked out? I think you are giving Doherty too much credit, but only time will tell how he does at SMU, if he builds that program up, that would be ultra impressive.

He was definitely in the running and badly wanted the St. John's job.