Thread: It's Official: Joba will start season in bullpen

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It's Official: Joba will start season in bullpen

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

Breaking news: Joba to the bullpen

March 9

Joe Girardi said just a few minutes ago that RHP Joba Chamberlain will open the season in the bullpen.

He left open the possibility that Chamberlain will move into the rotation later this season. “His future will be as a starter,” Girardi said.

Chamberlain will pitch in relief against Toronto tomorrow and again on Saturday. Ian Kennedy will start against the Blue Jays, a sign that he has nailed down the No. 5 starter job.

Girardi did not define’s Chamberlain’s role in the bullpen other than to say that he will be used in the “back end of games.”

There will be no Joba Rules. Chamberlain can be used for multiple innings and on consecutive days. “It will be common sense,” Girardi said.

The Yankees are not laying out their entire plan. But it seems fairly obvious that Chamberlain will be used as a reliever for half the season then make the transition to become a starter. If all five starters are healthy and productive, than the decision could be difficult.

But if all five starters are healthy and productive, that’s a problem the Yankees would be happy to have.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, breaking news.

Breaking news: Joba to the bullpen

March 9

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Yes, breaking news.
    Haha... that's pretty funny.

That being said this is the right approach to have with Joba. Let's hope that Moose, Phil, and IPK have strong seasons.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I was a Yankee fan, I'd be concerned that they don't Heilmanize him and claim he's too valueable to the bullpen to move back into the Rotation. I don't think they will, but you never know.

As really, I don't see an option for the Pen who should be able to handle that 8th Inning once you move him back to the Rotation, short of one of Ramirez, Ohlendorf, Albawhatever, or some farm arm stepping it up. I get the feeling you'll end up having to trade for this guy around the trade deadline.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    If I was a Yankee fan, I'd be concerned that they don't Heilmanize him and claim he's too valueable to the bullpen to move back into the Rotation. I don't think they will, but you never know.

As really, I don't see an option for the Pen who should be able to handle that 8th Inning once you move him back to the Rotation, short of one of Ramirez, Ohlendorf, Albawhatever, or some farm arm stepping it up. I get the feeling you'll end up having to trade for this guy around the trade deadline.
    I am not at all fearful of that. Cashman and others in the Yankee organization have made it extremely clear that his future is in the rotation. Frankly, given the innings limit, this plan is the one that makes the most sense.

Edwar gives up too many HR's and doesn't have the command to be an 8th inning guy. Ohlendorf has the stuff to do it, but I don't see it. Albedejo doesn't have the stuff to do it. The guy I think can emerge is Scott Patterson. Or maybe Farnsworth, in his contract year, pitches like he did the last time he was in a contract year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where's Alan Horne right now? Was he in camp?