Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biggest current need?

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Cack89;2441646]WR is a HUGE need, we NEED a BIG Tall WR, Hardy or Sweed[/QUOTE]

Now here's a man who's paying attention!!

bandwagon
    QB
    WR
    CB
    OL
    DE
    S
    OLB
    oy

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Qb

Aside from the obvious.....

1. WR
    2. ILB
    3. CB
    4. DE
    5. RG

Honorable mention - OLB

WR is a big need but atleast we have coles and cothery. a number two corner is right now our biggest need unless clemens doesnt improve with a real Oline in front of him

right now id say our biggest needs are

#2 CB
    A real #1 WR
    ILB
    DE
    Oline depth

if clemens doesnt work out then QB will be our biggest need

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

cb
    wilb
    wr
    qb

1. Quarterback
    2. Backup quarterback

Banned
    [QUOTE=parafly;2441608]Our biggest current need at this point is depth at pretty much every position.

DE - Ellis, Coleman...no other adequate starter.
    ILB - Harris, Barton...no other adequate starter.
    WR - Coles, Cotchery...no other adequate starter.
    OL - our best backup is....Montgomery...Wade Smith?

Our starting lineup is decent, but if we see a couple of injuries pile up, we are in deep trouble.[/QUOTE]We have been pretty lucky as far as injurys are concerned since Mangini has been here... Woody is not the answer at tackle,good depth though. I am very scared that Jenkins is going to be 400 lbs of wasted space

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=JayFielder;2442050]I am very scared that Jenkins is going to be 400 lbs of wasted space[/QUOTE]

The Jets wrote into his contract that he must be weighed 10 times during the year. A lot of the incentives are based on him being a certain pre-determined weight - good move IMO.

I hate to keep preaching this to you guys, but most of you still dont get it...our biggest need in the draft will (by definition) be filled in Round #1 of the draft. Since only imbeciles still believe in "drafting the best player available", we will, of course, draft to fill our most glaring need.

This will obviously be a pass-rushing DE! Watch any Jet game if you differ with this! There is NOTHING more needing help on our entire roster than our pass rush. Jenkins will help up the middle, but I am talking pure terrorizing speed pass rush...(J.Abe when he was healthy etc)
    ...watch the Super Bowl this year, Boys?
    Notice anything about the quality of the fag-Giants pass rush?
    Think its just a coincidence that they have a great pass rush and that they were in the Super Bowl?

WAKE UP!!!

Pass rush is everything in todays NFL.
    Fortunately our FO knows this. Thats why we are drafting an impact pass-rushing DE in Round #1...(For the record, Ghoulston qualifies as this, even with his "LB" possibility. Some people call Bryan Thomas an LB too.).

Before free agency, I would have said that QB was our fourth or fifth biggest need, clearly behind OL, DL, LB. Now I'd have to say it's #1 or #2. At the very least, the passing game needs to be addressed be it through the WR position and/or the QB position.

Banned
    [QUOTE= At the very least, the passing game needs to be addressed be it through the WR position and/or the [B]QB position[/B].[/QUOTE]

i've thought about this...since penningtons time has passed and clemons may not be the answer, what other options to the jets have? use the 6th on Ryan, i doubt it if ghoulston mcfadden of either of the longs are around....Pick up a free agent, thats pretty much just Byran leftwhich. i'd give leftwhich a shot personally i think he can still be a very good QB if given the chance in a good situation. option three maybe a trade for a QB? what about mcnabb, i hear he's unhappy in phillyhow sick would that be? a very very longshot but i'd feel pretty good about it maybe a second and both our fourths....trade down to the cowboys for the 21st and 28th and maybe one of there thirds and go from there....of course for all these things to happen it would take a lot of luck but i would love it.....i know that was a rant but its late and im a bit tired ha

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;2442384]I hate to keep preaching this to you guys, but most of you still dont get it...our biggest need in the draft will (by definition) be filled in Round #1 of the draft. [B]Since only imbeciles still believe in "drafting the best player available", we will, of course, draft to fill our most glaring need.

This will obviously be a pass-rushing DE![/B] Watch any Jet game if you differ with this! There is NOTHING more needing help on our entire roster than our pass rush. Jenkins will help up the middle, but I am talking pure terrorizing speed pass rush...(J.Abe when he was healthy etc)
    ...watch the Super Bowl this year, Boys?
    Notice anything about the quality of the fag-Giants pass rush?
    Think its just a coincidence that they have a great pass rush and that they were in the Super Bowl?

WAKE UP!!!

Pass rush is everything in todays NFL.
    Fortunately our FO knows this. Thats why we are drafting an impact pass-rushing DE in Round #1...(For the record, Ghoulston qualifies as this, even with his "LB" possibility. Some people call Bryan Thomas an LB too.).[/QUOTE]

The general premise of a pass rush is right, but not the defensive end part of it. If we get Gholston, it's to plug him in at 3-4OLB not at 3-4DE. The responsibility of the defensive ends and the NT in the two-gap system is to occupy and hold blockers, and play stout against the run. The linebackers are the ones responsible for making the plays. If Defensive ends gets sacks, that's gravy. They aren't expected to do it.

"Best available player" when considering positional value is what most teams try to do...

All Pro
    plain and simple. A bigtime playmaker on offense. A franchise player.

If Clemens goes in the tank QB will obviously be our #1 need by a country mile, but its too soon to make that call on Clemens so for now I can't list QB at the top of our needs board .. still a need because QB is so important and you don't want to put all of our eggs in one basket {Clemens}, but not our primary need at this point because Clemens can still emerge as player .. having said that, right now I would rank our needs as follows

[B][U][COLOR="Red"]TOP 5 NEEDS ON DEFENSE[/COLOR][/U][/B]

[B]1. OLB[/B]

Like it or not, in the AFC the road to the SB Goes through NE and for the Jets its a double whammy, the road to the division title also goes through NE and its hard to think about SB's if you can't even win your division .. and any organization that is not building to win a championship is simply not understanding what pro football is all about

Having said that, I don't trust Bryan Thomas as far as I can throw him, the guy has had one pretty good year in his entire bust of a career and that {surprise surprise} was his walk year, just in time to suck us in for one more contract before he went back into the tank from wence he came .. and I don't believe you can even start to think about upending the Patriots until you can send two edge rushers at Tom Brady, one from each side, and both have a real chance to knock him senseless .. in that respect the Giants showed the Jets how its done, but were they watching?

Pace is a Good start .. add another edge rusher, someone who can routinely produce double-digit sacks, and now we're talkin business, now we can seriously discuss winning division titles and making runs at the SB

[B]2. ILB[/B]

Harris is a beast, but right now I have no idea who starts inside next to Harris, probably Eric Barton, but the Jets are officially looking for a real answer at that spot and I'll be shocked if they don't draft an ILB

Thankfully there are some pretty good ones who might be available for the Jets in RD 4, Guys like Jon Goff and Beau Bell, and I suspect that's the RD to keep an eye on because I don't see the Jets taking an ILB at #6 or #36 Overall and we don't have a 3rd RD Pick, so I think the Jets will target this position with one of their two 4th RD Picks

[B]3. DE[/B]

You can never have too many Good D-linemen and right now I don't see any of our DE's even in the Pro Bowl conversation .. not even in that conversation .. which means we don't have too many Good DE's and in fact we may not have any who are really good, if we're being honest about it

[B]4. CB[/B]

We have what looks to be an emeraging #1 Corner in Revis, but after that its anyones guess

[B]5. NT[/B]

Like I said, you can never have too many Good D-linemen and while I love the addition of Jenkins his history of injuries simply cannot be ignored, so in my view it wouldn't be a bad idea to draft another NT prospect in RD's 4-7 ... its not a must because we have Pouha, but it wouldn't be a bad idea

[B][U][COLOR="Red"]TOP 5 NEEDS ON OFFENSE[/COLOR][/U][/B]

[B]1. WR[/B]

Coles is Getting long in the tooth and he might be breaking down physically. Those concussions are a genuine concern as well. IMO the Jets will be keeping a close eye on the Wideouts with that #36 Overall Pick in RD 2 .. I don't think they'll reach for one if there's a big run on Wide Recievers from 1-35, but if a really good one slides to 36 as I suspect may happen, I'd be surprised if the Jets took a pass

[B]2. QB[/B]

Only because its the most important position on the field and until you [B]KNOW[/B] that spot is solidified you can always draft a QB if you have a crack at a Good One .. for example, if Brohm or Flacco slide to 36 I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets say TO HECK WITH THE WIDEOUT and take the QB instead, then target a Wideout in RD 4

[B]3. OT/OG[/B]

I could be way off base here, but I don't believe the Jets are married to Brandon Moore and Damien Woody is not a sure thing either, only because you don't know if he's willing to work hard .. if he is he's only 30 Years old and his talent has never been in question, but you just don't know for sure that he still WANTS IT until he proves it .. therefore I can see the Jets adding another T/G in this draft for depth, or perhaps drafting one at 36 {Branden Albert, Gosder Cherilus, etc.} if they see an opportunity to create a [B]Super Unit[/B]

[B]4. RB[/B]

Thomas Jones has passed 30 Years of age which is usually the time to start looking for a future successor, and if Darren McFadden falls to #6 which is a very real possibility, that future might come a lot sooner than TJ has in mind

[B]5. TE[/B]

I'm a Chris Baker fan, I'm one who believes he should get more touches, but if he goes down there's not much behind him .. Bubba Franks holds down the fort in 08, but he only signed a one year deal for a reason, the end is nearing and the Jets still have to find a young "Quality" TE to Groom
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 03-21-2008 at 06:24 AM.

WR and QB our the biggest needs on our team. Im hoping we draft a QB if Ryan is available at 6. Taking a WR with our round 2 pick is a necessity, IMO, unless someone else just falls into our laps.

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    [QUOTE=Penningtology101;2441558]i get a lot of Sh1t for my[B][U] love[/U][/B] of chad pennington from my friends....[/QUOTE]

Honestly.... how do you LOVE a football player??? Its one thing to be a fan.... but to say you LOVE a player..... thats bizarre, and thats to say the least.

[QUOTE=Baddniss;2442384]

WE NEEDED A MONSTER IN THE MIDDLE AND THAT WAS ADDRESS IN FREE AGENCY NOW PLEASE GET A EDGE RUSHER IT IS OUR BIGGEST NEED