Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotowire article predicts Jets to win AFCE

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Rotowire article predicts Jets to win AFCE

[url]http://www.rotowire.com/blogs/viewcomments.htm?id=1777[/url] :eek:

The Jets Can Win The AFC East
    Posted by David Martorano at 3/16/2008 7:09:00 PM
    View more posts by this author

The Jets will compete with the New England Patriots this season and will possibly win the AFC East division.

They will be able to win their division for a number of reasons:

Owner

Woody Johnson is committed to winning football games. This is evidenced by his willingness to spend money and by his daily communications with general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Head Coach

The “mangenius” is an elite football mind who commands the respect of his players and demands excellence. The Jets are one of the better disciplined teams in the league (check the number of penalties his team committed in 07 versus the league average). The Jets roster is full of “character guys” who play the game hard, are committed to the team concept and are committed to winning football games. The Jets play the game the way it is supposed to be played and this fact is a testament to the coaching prowess of Mangini. In my opinion, Mangini is a top flight NFL coach and will only get better.

General Manager

Mike Tannenbaum is a big time general manager who will be regarded as such when it’s all said and done. In the 2007 draft, he selected Darrelle Revis in Round 1 and David Harris in Round 2. Both of these players look like perennial Pro-Bowlers. It doesn’t get any better than Tannenbaum’s performance in the 07 draft. With a #6 and a #36 pick in the upcoming draft, there is every reason to believe that Tannenbaum will draft another couple of impact players. This offseason, Tannenbaum was extremely active in free agency; acquiring talented players in: Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace, Kris Jenkins, Tony Richardson, and Damien Woody. I believe Mike Tannenbaum is a top flight general manager and I believe that the Jets are in extremely good hands.

Personnel

Offense

The offensive line was a major weakness last season. The acquisitions of Alan Faneca and Damien Woody provide the offensive line with a major upgrade in talent and should make former first round draft picks- Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson- better players. With the potential addition of more talent via the upcoming draft, the Jets offensive line has a good chance to be an above average unit this season.

The wide receiver position is filled by steady, physical players in Jerricho Cotchery and Laveraneus Coles. The running back position is filled by the steady Thomas Jones and the explosive Leon Washington. Both players should benefit from an improved offensive line. While the team claims there will be an “open quarterback competition” this summer, I believe that talk is nothing more than a prelude to a trade. I think Chad Pennington’s days as a starting quarterback in this league are over and I believe Kellen Clemens will be the team’s starting quarterback in 08'. Clemens has a big arm, a strong on the field presence and has the ability to run for the occasional first down. Clemens should dramatically improve this season behind a much improved offensive line and should benefit from having a healthy Coles and Cotchery to throw the ball to.

I believe that the Jets offense will be an above average unit in 2008.

Defense

Before the free agency period began, the Jets defense possessed three big time, young playmakers in cornerback Darrelle Revis, safety Kerry Rhodes and inside linebacker David Harris. It was my belief then that all the team needed to do to transform the talented unit into an elite unit was to add 2-3 big time difference makers. The Jets have added 2 potential difference makers in Kris Jenkins and Calvin Pace. In addition, the Jets have the #6 pick and the #36 pick in the upcoming draft to acquire an additional couple of defensive playmakers.

The Jets defense has the talent to be a Top 10 unit in 2008 and the addition of another couple of impact players from the early rounds of the upcoming draft could allow the Jets to have an elite defense in 2008.

Special Teams

The Jets always seem to have one of the better special teams in the league. Mike Nugent has a strong leg and should benefit from increased opportunities in 08 due to an improved offense. Leon Washington and Justin Miller give the Jets an unbelievably talented and explosive kickoff return duo. The unit’s most glaring weakness is at the punter position. Ben Graham has not lived up to the hype that existed prior to his arrival from Australia and could be replaced.

The Jets should have an elite special teams unit in 2008.

Their Schedule

The Jets 2008 schedule is extremely favorable.

Home: Buffalo, Miami, New England, Denver, Kansas City, Arizona, St. Louis, Cincinnati
    Away: Buffalo, Miami, New England, Oakland, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tennessee

No Fear Factor

One of the main advantages that the Patriots enjoy is being able to play teams who are in awe of Bill Bellichick, Tom Brady, Randy Moss & co. The Jets are not one of these teams. The Jets were prepared and fearless during their December 16th game against New England despite having a 3-10 record and despite having to hear all of the NFL “experts” predict that the Patriots would score 50 or 60 points against them.

New England

New England is as vulnerable as they have been in recent memory.

The following is a list of my reasons:

1. They suffered one of the worst Super Bowl defeats in the history of the sport. It seems reasonable to think that the team was demoralized by the defeat and there could be a carryover into next season.

2. The Patriots defense is not looking too strong on paper. Their defense was weakened by the losses of Asante Samuel and Randall Gay. While their defensive line continues to look like an excellent unit, the linebacker position and secondary position currently lacks talent, speed and youth. The Patriots will likely focus a lot of their attention on draft day to defensive players but will be without their late first round draft pick (which was forfeited as a result of “Spygate”).

3. The loss of Donte Stallworth should not be overlooked. Stallworth is a quality receiver and a legitimate deep threat. Defenses across the league have to be happy that he is no longer part of New England’s offensive attack.

4. The effects of “Spygate” and the current controversy involving former employee Matt Walsh could serve as a distraction to the Patriots.

5. By now, it seems fair to think that many teams around the league genuinely dislike the Patriots for being so successful and for being so seemingly corrupt. The team will have a bull’s eye on it’s back and shouldn’t benefit from too many opponents not being “up for the game”. In addition, the Giants Super Bowl upset will likely serve as a blueprint for teams around the league on how to beat the Patriots.

General Prediction

The Jets will be the surprise team of 2008 and will compete with the Patriots for the AFC East Division and will, at the very least, make the playoffs as a wild card team.

Specific Prediction

The Jets will go 12-4 and win the AFC East.

Impossible is nothing (credit Addidas and the New York Giants).

uh ohh

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Delusional Jet fan... :-)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know, actually laughed the whole time, I hope so though, it would be great.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Cack89;2441681]

The “mangenius” is an elite football mind who commands the respect of his players and demands excellence. In my opinion, Mangini is a top flight NFL coach and will only get better.

[/QUOTE]

You know, I was willing to go with the flow on the rest of the prediction but I couldnt quite get past the above...I just don't buy that, [I]yet.[/I]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Cack89;2441681][url]

Head Coach

The “mangenius” is an [b]elite football mind[/b] who commands the respect of his players and demands excellence. The Jets are one of the better disciplined teams in the league (check the number of penalties his team committed in 07 versus the league average). The Jets roster is full of “character guys” who play the game hard, are committed to the team concept and are committed to winning football games. The Jets play the game the way it is supposed to be played and this fact is a testament to the coaching prowess of Mangini. In my opinion, Mangini is a top flight NFL coach and will only get better.
    [/QUOTE]

Is this the bizzaro Bob Jensen? :rolleyes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Cack89;2441681]

Woody Johnson is committed to winning football games.

[/QUOTE]

I stopped reading right there.

Was this article on the comic pages this morning?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Cack89;2441681]

New England

1. [B]They suffered one of the worst Super Bowl defeats in the history of the sport[/B]. It seems reasonable to think that the team was demoralized by the defeat and there could be a carryover into next season. [/QUOTE]

That was spot on.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was written by the same JI poster who said we're going 14-2, predicted the order of our schedule and the score of each game.

kooooo kooooo

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2441715]I stopped reading right there.

Was this article on the comic pages this morning?[/QUOTE]

You complain about out pathetic 4-12 team all the time tex. But if I remember correctly out pathetic team held you cheats to your lowest scoring game all season. Except the giants. And our pathetic team imo just got a hell of alot better. Move over dip****. The game is up your asses are ours.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well written article :yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Cack89;2441681][URL]http://www.rotowire.com/blogs/viewcomments.htm?id=1777[/URL] :eek:

The Jets Can Win The AFC East
    Posted by David Martorano at 3/16/2008 7:09:00 PM
    View more posts by this author

The Jets will compete with the New England Patriots this season and will possibly win the AFC East division.

They will be able to win their division for a number of reasons:

Owner

Woody Johnson is committed to winning football games. This is evidenced by his willingness to spend money and by his daily communications with general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Head Coach

The “mangenius” is an elite football mind who commands the respect of his players and demands excellence. The Jets are one of the better disciplined teams in the league (check the number of penalties his team committed in 07 versus the league average). The Jets roster is full of “character guys” who play the game hard, are committed to the team concept and are committed to winning football games. The Jets play the game the way it is supposed to be played and this fact is a testament to the coaching prowess of Mangini. In my opinion, Mangini is a top flight NFL coach and will only get better.

General Manager

Mike Tannenbaum is a big time general manager who will be regarded as such when it’s all said and done. In the 2007 draft, he selected Darrelle Revis in Round 1 and David Harris in Round 2. Both of these players look like perennial Pro-Bowlers. It doesn’t get any better than Tannenbaum’s performance in the 07 draft. With a #6 and a #36 pick in the upcoming draft, there is every reason to believe that Tannenbaum will draft another couple of impact players. This offseason, Tannenbaum was extremely active in free agency; acquiring talented players in: Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace, Kris Jenkins, Tony Richardson, and Damien Woody. I believe Mike Tannenbaum is a top flight general manager and I believe that the Jets are in extremely good hands.

Personnel

Offense

The offensive line was a major weakness last season. The acquisitions of Alan Faneca and Damien Woody provide the offensive line with a major upgrade in talent and should make former first round draft picks- Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson- better players. With the potential addition of more talent via the upcoming draft, the Jets offensive line has a good chance to be an above average unit this season.

The wide receiver position is filled by steady, physical players in Jerricho Cotchery and Laveraneus Coles. The running back position is filled by the steady Thomas Jones and the explosive Leon Washington. Both players should benefit from an improved offensive line. While the team claims there will be an “open quarterback competition” this summer, I believe that talk is nothing more than a prelude to a trade. I think Chad Pennington’s days as a starting quarterback in this league are over and I believe Kellen Clemens will be the team’s starting quarterback in 08'. Clemens has a big arm, a strong on the field presence and has the ability to run for the occasional first down. Clemens should dramatically improve this season behind a much improved offensive line and should benefit from having a healthy Coles and Cotchery to throw the ball to.

I believe that the Jets offense will be an above average unit in 2008.

Defense

Before the free agency period began, the Jets defense possessed three big time, young playmakers in cornerback Darrelle Revis, safety Kerry Rhodes and inside linebacker David Harris. It was my belief then that all the team needed to do to transform the talented unit into an elite unit was to add 2-3 big time difference makers. The Jets have added 2 potential difference makers in Kris Jenkins and Calvin Pace. In addition, the Jets have the #6 pick and the #36 pick in the upcoming draft to acquire an additional couple of defensive playmakers.

The Jets defense has the talent to be a Top 10 unit in 2008 and the addition of another couple of impact players from the early rounds of the upcoming draft could allow the Jets to have an elite defense in 2008.

Special Teams

The Jets always seem to have one of the better special teams in the league. Mike Nugent has a strong leg and should benefit from increased opportunities in 08 due to an improved offense. Leon Washington and Justin Miller give the Jets an unbelievably talented and explosive kickoff return duo. The unit’s most glaring weakness is at the punter position. Ben Graham has not lived up to the hype that existed prior to his arrival from Australia and could be replaced.

The Jets should have an elite special teams unit in 2008.

Their Schedule

The Jets 2008 schedule is extremely favorable.

Home: Buffalo, Miami, New England, Denver, Kansas City, Arizona, St. Louis, Cincinnati
    Away: Buffalo, Miami, New England, Oakland, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tennessee

No Fear Factor

One of the main advantages that the Patriots enjoy is being able to play teams who are in awe of Bill Bellichick, Tom Brady, Randy Moss & co. The Jets are not one of these teams. The Jets were prepared and fearless during their December 16th game against New England despite having a 3-10 record and despite having to hear all of the NFL “experts” predict that the Patriots would score 50 or 60 points against them.

New England

The following is a list of my reasons:

1. They suffered one of the worst Super Bowl defeats in the history of the sport. It seems reasonable to think that the team was demoralized by the defeat and there could be a carryover into next season.

2. The Patriots defense is not looking too strong on paper. Their defense was weakened by the losses of Asante Samuel and Randall Gay. While their defensive line continues to look like an excellent unit, the linebacker position and secondary position currently lacks talent, speed and youth. The Patriots will likely focus a lot of their attention on draft day to defensive players but will be without their late first round draft pick (which was forfeited as a result of “Spygate”).

3. The loss of Donte Stallworth should not be overlooked. Stallworth is a quality receiver and a legitimate deep threat. Defenses across the league have to be happy that he is no longer part of New England’s offensive attack.

4. The effects of “Spygate” and the current controversy involving former employee Matt Walsh could serve as a distraction to the Patriots.

5. By now, it seems fair to think that many teams around the league genuinely dislike the Patriots for being so successful and for being so seemingly corrupt. The team will have a bull’s eye on it’s back and shouldn’t benefit from too many opponents not being “up for the game”. In addition, the Giants Super Bowl upset will likely serve as a blueprint for teams around the league on how to beat the Patriots.

General Prediction

The Jets will be the surprise team of 2008 and will compete with the Patriots for the AFC East Division and will, at the very least, make the playoffs as a wild card team.

Specific Prediction

Impossible is nothing (credit Addidas and the New York Giants).

uh ohh[/quote]

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boy oh boy the Jets fans are starting early this season. As long as Brady and Belichick are there forget about it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, at least it's nice to see that there is someone out there (besides us) who believes in the Jets. :)

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Cack89;2441681][url]http://www.rotowire.com/blogs/viewcomments.htm?id=1777[/url] :eek:

Specific Prediction

[/QUOTE]

:rotfl:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Wiggy;2441734]LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boy oh boy the Jets fans are starting early this season. As long as Brady and Belichick are there forget about it.[/QUOTE]

Way to quote the original huge post ass clown. Couldn't just type your dribble w/o the quote.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;2441718]That was spot on.[/QUOTE]

it was wasnt it?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2441715]I stopped reading right there.

Was this article on the comic pages this morning?[/QUOTE]

Enjoy your offseason of mounting worry, Patfagtx.
    Like I've said, the blueprint is there for all to see. Brady looked
    like a bewildered cub scout against the Giants.
    And Belidick?
    It might even be Dom Capers at the helm.
    The run is over,Tx.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    "LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boy oh boy the Jets fans are starting early this season. As long as Brady and Belichick are there forget about it."

Yeah, Wiggy those two sure looked poised and confident against The Giants.
    Say goodbye to your team. It is over.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=thebigragu;2441746]Way to quote the original huge post ass clown. Couldn't just type your dribble w/o the quote.[/QUOTE]

lol

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it just me, or does this whole article drip with sarcasm?
    As I read it, I could hear the author saying, "Yeah right, the Jets are going to be good...HA, ha, ha..."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like one of MaineJets posts.