Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: HBO's Real Sports segmet on young pitchers

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    HBO's Real Sports segmet on young pitchers

    First segment just started on HBO, not sure which one is about young pitchers, but this segment shows a new technique in pitching, a new delivery, it is quite odd, yet very interesting because it apparently is an injury free way of pitching.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,552
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this the report about some former major leaguer tudoring college kids in some supposedly "stress free" motion on the arm? In Arizona I think. Some scouts swear by it, some say it will never work. Supposedly adds 8-9 mph also.

    I saw something like that a few months ago. I forget where.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Is this the report about some former major leaguer tudoring college kids in some supposedly "stress free" motion on the arm? In Arizona I think. Some scouts swear by it, some say it will never work. Supposedly adds 8-9 mph also.

    I saw something like that a few months ago. I forget where.
    Yeah, that has to be the same guy, Mike Marshall is his name.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    244
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read the article on this guy a while back, the coach makes it seem like he is being black listed by MLB and any of his players, also. He says that if one team will just take a look at one of his guys, and give them a fair assessment, that he would change pitching forever.... I don't know how true it is, but he does have alot of students/players who train on his regimine and swear by his work and teachings. I look forward to catching this on HBO on demand.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    6,870
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Yeah, that has to be the same guy, Mike Marshall is his name.
    Is that Dr. Mike Marshall..the Kinaesthesialogist...??

    He was a former Cy Young winner in 1974 as a reliever for the Dodgers.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Is that Dr. Mike Marshall..the Kinaesthesialogist...??

    He was a former Cy Young winner in 1974 as a reliever for the Dodgers.
    Yup.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Ma...all_pitcher%29

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay it's on now.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Segment didn't really tell me much, can they throw breaking balls? can they control there pitches? Looks like all they could do is rear back and throw hard.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was an article on it from a while back, it has a video with one of them throwing a Curveball and a Screwball. I'm no pitching mechanics expert, but something seems a bit fishy about it to me.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-marshall051007

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Segment didn't really tell me much, can they throw breaking balls? can they control there pitches? Looks like all they could do is rear back and throw hard.
    I saw something on it awhile ago. You can throw a fastball, curve and screwball. So videos on it, the stuff MOVES. Very good breaking pitches, going both ways, with no real damage to the arm.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us