Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darnell Bing

Jets Insider VIP

Darnell Bing

Was just skimming through our roster on NYJ.com when I ran across Darnell Bing. I didn't even know he was on the team.

I remember he was a badass saftey with the Trojans and I never heard anything from him after he left USC.

Could be a nice sleeper and possibly give Elam/Smith a run for their money.

Thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    !?!

He did very well at USC. What's going on here?

Didn't he slip substantially in the draft? I know we drafted Eric Smith over him.

yeah he was cut but the raiders, and signed by the niners, and was cut some time in feb by the niners and we signed him.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Cack89;2442204]yeah he was cut but the raiders, and signed by the niners, and was cut some time in feb by the niners and we signed him.[/QUOTE]

So in other words, he's poop at this level?

training camp body...

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;2442187]Was just skimming through our roster on NYJ.com when I ran across Darnell Bing. I didn't even know he was on the team.

I remember he was a badass saftey with the Trojans and I never heard anything from him after he left USC.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

didnt he play LB as USC? then was a tweener and went to S

Raiders drafted him in the 4th a few picks after we took E Smith. I was pissed because I much preferred the USC star to the unknown Smith. The Raiders tried to convert Bing to LB and put him on IR for the year with some phantom injury. They gave up on that experiment for 2007, tried Bing at S and then cut him after training camp. Bing was picked up by SF who had him on the practice squad for S all year. Jets signed him in early January.

Bing has the athletic ability and college pedigree. I think he'll be in a fight for the #4 Safety position for 2008.

Good find. I saw that today also and barely remember him but then recalled
    he was a solid hitter. 6' 2"-220 llbs. Who knows?

Sign the beast!!!!!!! oh! he's on the team already. Did i mention i like like that S from ARI. ST. J. Barrett?????????????

major ballplayer on one of the NCAA's top recent defenses.but that is old news.transition from college to nfl style of play isnt always easy...

Just ask Derrick Strait. This guy won the Thorpe award as the #1 DB in the country on a Major program and he is out of the league.

[QUOTE=The Paranoid Jet;2442195]!?!

He did very well at USC. What's going on here?

Didn't he slip substantially in the draft? I know we drafted Eric Smith over him.[/QUOTE]

Raiders tried him at linebacker and safety and he wasn't any good so he was cut.

Niners tried him at safety and special teams during the preseason and he was downright pathetic so he was cut after 2 weeks but Nolan liked him in college so he was on the PS before getting cut again.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;2442208]So in other words, he's poop at this level?[/QUOTE]

Yes, he is training camp fodder and that is all.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;2442187]Was just skimming through our roster on NYJ.com when I ran across Darnell Bing. I didn't even know he was on the team.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

He's going to see some time at OLB

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jet Genius;2442681]He's going to see some time at OLB[/QUOTE]

No he will not. A 225 pound 3-4 OLB is unheard of.

[QUOTE=genom;2442699]No he will not. A 225 pound 3-4 OLB is unheard of.[/QUOTE]

so is a 6'0 315 NT

we'll see

All Pro
    There was a thread a few months back when we picked him up....

...apparently he's total garbage now. I was so pissed when we took E. Smith over him too, ya never know.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jet Genius;2442705]so is a 6'0 315 NT

we'll see[/QUOTE]

And we see how well that worked out, right?

[QUOTE=Jet Genius;2442705]so is a 6'0 315 NT

we'll see[/QUOTE]

Actually the Ravens have one at those dimensions and he's been an excellent NT over the years.

Too small for LB, Too slow for S is essentially the jist of his NFL Career to date.

But man he can hit.

I'd like to see him bulk up and maybe give him a Shot at Linebacker again....if he came in at 240 I wonder if he could play ILB, granted he might lose even more speed that way so who knows.