Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DROB fails physical; Next step is release...(merged)

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;2442619]DRob has made about 30M so far in his career. If his financial advisors are any good, he should have investment income of 1 to 2M [B]per year[/B] for the rest of his life.[/QUOTE]

I'll trade a knee condition for that. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2442582]It seems like no one agrees with my original post
    oh well, better luck next time:D[/QUOTE]

Hey but thanks for playing. We've got some nice parting gifts for you. Bob, what do we have for JW? ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2442611]
    I have no brain my head and sometimes it's extremely painful just to post here. Yet I press on.[/QUOTE]

Fixed

Jets Insider VIP
    Are there not any ethical or other standards or regulations with respect to physical exams given by other teams in these situations and the "results" they report publicly? I would think if a team reported that they are nixing a purported deal due to a "failed physical," that team should be precluded from signing that player in free agency.

Does anyone know if the Jets have their own recent information with respect to this knee condition?

All League
    It is no wonder he has been unwilling to renegotiate.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2442611]I have no cartilege in my right knee and sometimes it's extremely painful just to walk up a flight of steps. [/QUOTE]

Gosh TX, I had no idea that trolling on another team's message board for 5 years could be so physically demanding. And you play through the pain. I have a brand new respect for you.

Jets Insider VIP
    If D-Rob fails physicals as part of trade talks with Denver, Cincy, etc. will those teams now not sign him if he is released? Or, do they become hypocritical in saying "he failed our physical so we won't trade for him but....well, now that he's a free agent he passes our physical" ?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2442611]...I have no cartilege in my right knee and sometimes it's extremely painful just to walk up a flight of steps...[/QUOTE]

Too bad it's not a problem with your fingers! ;) :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=I against I;2442541]and Denver is strapped for cash. The team released eight operations staff members on Wednesday, including web site editor Andrew Mason, who did an excellent job. Robertson would also require a new contract if he was acquired. He may now be cut this summer.[/QUOTE]

Um, WTF? Strapped for cash?

Maybe we can trade D'Rob to Denver, along with a IT guy and an administrative assistant to be named later....

Jets Insider VIP

Here's the Actual Tom Rock/Newsday Blog

[B]DRob failed physical but Broncos were willing to overlook that. [/B] Unfortunately, they have financial issues which has prevented them to coming to an agreement with DROB.

[QUOTE][B]March 20, 2008[/B]
    [B][SIZE="5"]D-Rob trade dying[/SIZE][/B]

As you might have guessed just by the amount of time this thing is taking, the trade talks between the Jets and Broncos are starting to peter out. They're not RIP yet and could be resumed at any time, but nothing seems imminent.

Why? A couple reasons from what I'm hearing out west. First of all, [B]Robertson did fail his physical with the Broncos, but the team was [U]willing to overlook the medical evidence based on the fact that Robertson hasn't missed any games the last few years[/U][/B]. They were also willing to overlook it because they are a bit [B]desperate for defensive line help[/B].

The other reason is money. Take a look at this story in the Denver Post about the team cutting several jobs from its operations staff. Robertson was supposedly willing to work with the Broncos on a new deal, but he wasn't able to come down enough for them to make it work. [B]The cash-strapped Broncos just couldn't afford to take on his salary (though I was told they were, at one point, [U]willing to go into debt to bring him in[/U])[/B].

So was it the money? The bone-on-bone? The idea that Robertson will be on the open market by June? Probably all of the above in a strange brew that finally appears to have squelched the trade -- for now.

Posted by Tom Rock on March 20, 2008 8:14 AM | Permalink | Comments (3)
    [url]http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/blog/[/url]
    [/QUOTE]

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;2442650]Um, WTF? Strapped for cash?

Maybe we can trade D'Rob to Denver, along with a IT guy and an administrative assistant to be named later....[/QUOTE]

Nice Sig.....I never knew Justin Mccairrens could get after the QB like THAT!;)

[QUOTE=SMC;2442654][B]DRob failed physical but Broncos were willing to overlook that. [/B] Unfortunately, they have financial issues which has prevented them to coming to an agreement with DROB.[/QUOTE]

Just a bizzare story.............

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2442551]Instead of us selfishly complaining about him failing physicals, think about the fact that this young man is looking at a very short future in his chosen profession.

I feel bad for DRob.[/QUOTE]

..... and has already earned millions upon millions upon millions of dollars, and if he has a semi normal functioning brain... should be set for life.

So do I feel bad for him..... hell no, not in the slightest bit!!!
    Last edited by Starkweather; 03-20-2008 at 10:47 AM.

[QUOTE=SMC;2442654] Unfortunately, they have financial issues which has prevented them to coming to an agreement with DROB.[/QUOTE]
    That damn Jim Cramer!

[QUOTE=SMC;2442654][B]DRob failed physical but Broncos were willing to overlook that. [/B] Unfortunately, they have financial issues which has prevented them to coming to an agreement with DROB.[/QUOTE]

The guy owns a friggin NFL team, dont tell me anything about financial issues.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DaBallhawk;2442664]The guy owns a friggin NFL team, dont tell me anything about financial issues.[/QUOTE]

Don't shoot the messenger now. I'm only conveying what Newsday and the Denver Post are reporting about the Broncos being strapped for cash.

Bowlen doesn't want to take out a loan or sell part of the team to have cash to pay employees. That's what has been reported.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2442663]That damn Jim Cramer![/QUOTE]

Cramer has had a really, really crappy 2 weeks.

The guy is best friends with Spitzer and Spitzer's career goes up in flames in the worst NY state political scandal in generations, Cramer literally cries about it on the Today show, and then he tells people not to sell Bear stock right before they go belly up.

It's like the inverse of that VH1 show:

[B]"Jim Cramer, you've had the worse week ever!"[/B]
    Last edited by SMC; 03-20-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

chances are slim to none that d-rob cuts his pay enough for the jets to keep him.

now, more than ever, with his knee being a real issue, he's going to be looking to grab as much $$$ as he can in the short term, since his future is pretty much uncertain.

when he hits the open market, someone will pay him.

[QUOTE=SMC;2442669]Cramer has had a really, really crappy 2 weeks.

The guy is best friend with Spitzer and Spitzer's career goes up in flames in the worst NY state political scandal in generations, Cramer literally cries about it on the Today show, and then he tells people to to sell Bear stock right before they go belly up.

It's like the inverse of that VH1 show:

[B]"Jim Cramer, you've had the worse week ever!"[/B][/QUOTE]

Lol, I think Stewart hit him the best. He said that he was looking forward to the release of his new book, entitled; "No Matter What I Do for the Rest of My Life, I'll Never Be Able to Make Up to Everyone All of the Money I Lost for Them Last Thursday."

All League
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2442639]If D-Rob fails physicals as part of trade talks with Denver, Cincy, etc. will those teams now not sign him if he is released? Or, do they become hypocritical in saying "he failed our physical so we won't trade for him but....well, now that he's a free agent he passes our physical" ?[/QUOTE]

They could still sign him, but the risk would be less, since they would only be giving up money, alot less most likely, and no picks or players.