Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: DROB fails physical; Next step is release...(merged)

Hall Of Fame
    Why would DROB agree to restructure massively just so the Jets can get paid off out of the deal when all he needs to do is hold on a few weeks and the Jets lose their claim to a cut?

Even if it ends up being Denver or Cincinatti I would think either of them would kick in a little more money to DROB if they do not have to also pay off in draft picks to the Jets.

Both teams incidentally have said there is still an interest so.... All that is happening right now is that they are getting a ballpark sense from DROB as to what his June 1 price will be.

Banned
    [B][SIZE="2"]Where has bit been in this thread?

Oh yea:[/SIZE][/B]

[IMG]http://www.instigatorblog.com/images/head_in_sand.jpg[/IMG]

The problem for some of these DT needy teams is that there is no guarantee they will get Drob after the Jets cut him. In the meantime they have the draft to play for and a team like the Broncos really need a DT badly. If you don't get a guy before the draft you have to go get one in the draft, you can't assume that a) the Jets will cut him (though that is very likely) or b) that another team will not pick up DRob after he is cut.

For some team a relative low risk trade like has been talked about might make sense. I would think the big stumbling block to a deal would be failing a physical or DRob not renegotiating his deal, not the fact that teams can just wait for him to be cut.

All League
    [quote=BrickHouse;2442716]Perhaps he's failing his physical on purpose so that the team he goes to wouldnt have to give up a draft selection.[/quote]

How does that work? :eek:

Do you will your knee to show a hot spot on an MRI??? :P

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2442740][B][SIZE="2"]Where has bit been in this thread?

[IMG]http://www.instigatorblog.com/images/head_in_sand.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

lol

[QUOTE=jetswin;2442551]Instead of us selfishly complaining about him failing physicals, think about the fact that this young man is looking at a very short future in his chosen profession.

I feel bad for DRob.[/QUOTE]

He plays for the money. He has said this publically. I don't feel so bad for him. How many million did he make last year?

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2442702]So if his business isn't producing, that means he should just withdraw an extra 60K from his personal checking account to pay the website developer? Why, because you say so?[/QUOTE]
    And who told you that his business is NOT producing? Because thats what the PR staff said after firing those people? Come on. The NFL is making more money than ever. Teams have to overpay players nowadays because they have so much cap room left.

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2442702]Of course it's possible, companies are in the red all over the place. If the franchise is in the red, then you start making cutbacks. Starting with employees who you feel you can do without. If you think a NFL franchise is run differently than any other business in corporate America, you're kidding yourself.[/QUOTE]
    Wal Mart has like a billion employees world wide, you cant compare the Denver Broncos to some other company. Besides nobody owns an NFL team nowadays just to make money. Its a luxury first. Its like owning a Formula 1 team. Its nothing like having a REAL business where you HAVE to make money in order to survive. These people already made it and they are willing to lose money in order to stay in the NFL. None of them are going to leave the NFL because their team doesnt make enough money.

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2442702]There's no law out there that says any CEO or owner of any business has to shell money out of his own personal finances to make up for the shortcomings of his business. Sure it's something that's done, but not required. You're also neglecting the fact that the Broncos were almost bankrupt anyways when he took over the team in the 80's and saved the franchise.[/QUOTE]
    Like i said, if he doesnt have enough money to own an NFL team he should just sell it. Its embarrassing to see that this guy has to get rid of a web master because he cant afford to pay him. He's full of ****, thats just my opinion. Hopefully PFT can come up with the real story behind all this...

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2442551]Instead of us selfishly complaining about him failing physicals, think about the fact that this young man is looking at a very short future in his chosen profession.

If he hadn't fleeced us for millions by sucking and not living up to his hype, I'd feel a lot worse. Considering he's made tons of money already and I had to watch Dslob show off his car collection on TV, I really don't feel that bad for the guy.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2442582]It seems like no one agrees with my original post
    oh well, better luck next time:D[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm in. I feel compassion for a guy that is set for life, and can't work anymore. ;)

j/k, best of luck to DRob. 2004 is a testament to his skills in the right setting. I hope he can continue in his career, wherever that may be.

Jets Insider VIP

Hey, did you feel bad when DRob was dominated 10 yards off the LOS?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2442582]It seems like no one agrees with my original post
    oh well, better luck next time:D[/QUOTE]

LOL. Man you really kicked the hornets nest:D

I would think that if no team trades for him, we will fail him too and report him as physically unable to perform.

Aren't allowed to apply to the league for cap relief under those circumstances?

Banned
    [QUOTE=cornjulio21;2442841]I would think that if no team trades for him, we will fail him too and report him as physically unable to perform.

Aren't allowed to apply to the league for cap relief under those circumstances?[/QUOTE]

Placing a player on the PUP, a team is allowed to add another player to the roster.

Because the PUP player is still being paid salary, no cap relief whatsoever.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2442851]Placing a player on the PUP, a team is allowed to add another player to the roster.

Because the PUP player is still being paid salary, no cap relief whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

However, I'm not so sure that is true if the player retires do to the injury. If he does, and he collects insurance, I believe the Jets are entitled to cap relief.

In that vein, D-Slob is probably only going to play if he can make more money than not. I have no idea what his guarantees are, but you know these are factoring in to all the decisions circulating around his situation.

The challenge for a team looking to sign him is they have to cough up compensation and cut him a new deal that makes his overall guarantees better than what he gets with the Jets, or what he would get for sitting on his rather large duff.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2442740][IMG]http://www.instigatorblog.com/images/head_in_sand.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

hey, isn't that what you do when someone calls you out for being a massive nerd with no life whatsoever who spends way too much time on a rival team's fansite? yeah, thought so :rolleyes:

back to D-Rob... it sucks for the Jets, but this is all posturing from the other teams. he may have "failed" physicals in Denver and Cincy, but both of those teams will try to sign him if/when he gets cut by the Jets. miraculously, he will pass both their physicals if that's the case.

however, this not only hurts the Jets' chances of trading him, but it alos lowers his value on the open market. even if he passes a new physical, enough has been written about his bad knee that no team will give him long-term security.

the Jets should try to renegotiate directly with him, offer him a longer deal at a home-team discount. for all his failed expectations, he's still an above-average DT, and he showed last season he could be disruptive as a 3-4 DE on passing downs. with Jenkins manning the middle, we could have a rotation of Coleman, Ellis and D-Rob at DE, and also using him as a DT partner for Jenkins in 4-3 fronts.

if that's not possible, trade him for conditional pick(s) next year and get it done... :steamin:

All Pro
    if im correct, put D-Rob on IR, would that not allow cap relief? while an extra roster spot

maybe while on IR, he will beef up to 350 and be a solid NT

All League

But he won DPOW twice :confused:

Is that your relative TX when he discovered how you spend your day trolling? No disrespect, just asking.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2442562]I'm more curious as to why Denver's so strapped for dough.[/QUOTE]

league insiders claim Bowlen's wife needed another boob job....

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2443458]league insiders claim Bowlen's wife needed another boob job....[/QUOTE]

Love the boob jobs :yes: Guess they can pick DM in the second and compare