Thread: Mets Option Fernando, more... Good stuff

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Mets Option Fernando, more... Good stuff

Last night, the Mets reassigned RHP Tony Armas Jr., RHP Nate Field, RHP Joselo Diaz and OF Fernando Martinez to minor league camp.
    Meanwhile, in 47 at-bats this spring, the 19–year-old Martinez hit .373 with just seven strike outs.

And just a note if anyone saw that AB last night he had against Sowers, you can see why he is going to be a special player and why the Mets refused to include him in any Santana deal.

Outfielder Fernando Martinez was one of four players re-assigned to the minor-league camp after last night's 3-1 victory over Cleveland.

"It's a happy day,'' Martinez said. "They gave me a chance to play, and I learned so much.''

Randolph said Martinez made a positive impression.

"Of all the young kids we brought to camp, he was the one I wanted to see most, and he didn't disappoint,'' Randolph said. "He has a chance to be a pretty good player and be a big part of our future.''

Also sent to the minor-league camp were pitchers Tony Armas, Nate Field and Joselo Diaz.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's got a ton of talent, you definately notice that when you watch him play. At 19 years old he didn't look overmatched at all against some Major League Pitching, perhaps most impressively was that he only struck out 7 times in 49 Plate Appearances (47 AB + 2 Walks). And his At-Bat last night he lined a nasty pitch off a Lefty over the Shortstops head which was impressive.

If I had to nitpick, I would say that I'd like to see him show more signs of Power in his stroke, the ball comes hard off his bat, but it's always at the First Baseman or something. He needs to get some more air under those hard hit balls to really show off his XBH potential. Most of his XBH's this spring were like last night where it was the well placed variety. But of course he's only 19 so there's plenty of time.

Also his defense needs work, twice he dropped the ball trying to make a catch because he didn't look at the ball through the catch.

PS: He hit .340, his OBP was .373

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Power is usually the last thing to come so he has time in that aspect.

Maine looked brilliant again.....appears on the way to a big season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    He's got a ton of talent, you definately notice that when you watch him play. At 19 years old he didn't look overmatched at all against some Major League Pitching, perhaps most impressively was that he only struck out 7 times in 49 Plate Appearances (47 AB + 2 Walks). And his At-Bat last night he lined a nasty pitch off a Lefty over the Shortstops head which was impressive.

If I had to nitpick, I would say that I'd like to see him show more signs of Power in his stroke, the ball comes hard off his bat, but it's always at the First Baseman or something. He needs to get some more air under those hard hit balls to really show off his XBH potential. Most of his XBH's this spring were like last night where it was the well placed variety. But of course he's only 19 so there's plenty of time.

Also his defense needs work, twice he dropped the ball trying to make a catch because he didn't look at the ball through the catch.

PS: He hit .340, his OBP was .373
    Yeah, his defense a couple of times was suspect but he made way more terrific catches then he made mistakes. And I didn't realize he had that strong of an arm.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Power is usually the last thing to come so he has time in that aspect.

Maine looked brilliant again.....appears on the way to a big season.
    Yeah, I realize that, I was just expecting a little more then him slugging .420 at this point.