Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nats release P John Patterson

Nats release P John Patterson

John Patterson-S-Nationals Mar. 20 - 3:21 pm et

Nationals released RHP John Patterson.

Stunning. Obviously the Nationals shared the same concerns about Patterson's lack of velocity that we did, but he still looked like their probable Opening Day starter and they'll only save about $600,000 by cutting him. They're left with a rotation of Shawn Hill, Jason Bergmann, Tim Redding, Odalis Perez and either Matt Chico or John Lannan. They'll probably need both young lefties initially with Hill likely to open up on the DL.

There's a guy I wouldn't mind stashing in AAA and letting him work his way back.

Interesting. I believe he has ties to Omar from 2004 in Montreal. Wonder if Peterson thinks he can fix this guy in 15 minutes...

One mans trash is anothers treasure. Let Peterson work some magic on this guy. Just one more pitcher to save from the scrap heap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    One mans trash is anothers treasure. Let Peterson work some magic on this guy. Just one more pitcher to save from the scrap heap.
    like zambrano?

That's a horrible rotation. Nationals are in for a rough year.

Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    like zambrano?
    No like Perez, Duque, and to a lesser extent Maine. The good outweighs the bad my friend.

No like Perez, Duque, and to a lesser extent Maine. The good outweighs the bad my friend.
    Why to a lesser extent Maine? Maine was a throw in in a trade for Kris Benson before he was a Met. That being said it sure looks that Patterson like Zambrano is damaged goods.

Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    Interesting. I believe he has ties to Omar from 2004 in Montreal. Wonder if Peterson thinks he can fix this guy in 15 minutes...
    Yup, Omar traded for him in 2004. Only gave up Randy Choate in that deal too. I could definately see him bringing him back in given his history for re-acquiring players he likes (Chavez, Church, Schneider).

Apparently he's been having some trouble getting his velocity back in Spring Training this year, but it can't hurt to offer him a Minor League deal and let him rehab in AAA for a while, no?

You gotta figure he'd be better then the Brian Lawrence's of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3 View Post
    Why to a lesser extent Maine? Maine was a throw in in a trade for Kris Benson before he was a Met. That being said it sure looks that Patterson like Zambrano is damaged goods.
    I dont know for sure but I didnt think the O's gave up on Maine, they just happen to be a poorly run franchise and didn't realize what they had. I feel bad for O's fans.

Maine was not the center piece but he wasnt just a throw in, i remeber Omar being happy bout Maine and talkin him up before most knew who he was

but Peterson def has to get some credit for his career si far, he was not a big talent

patterson is very intriguibg to me he has always had the potential

would def try to sign him to a minor league deal

I would like the Yankees to o a John Lieber with this guy...bring him in and just let him use the first half a year to rehabilitate...with the questions in the Yankee bullpen they should sign every pitcher they can...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I would like the Yankees to o a John Lieber with this guy...bring him in and just let him use the first half a year to rehabilitate...with the questions in the Yankee bullpen they should sign every pitcher they can...
    I think they Yanks will end up with Freddy Garcia.

Jets Insider VIP
    stbfsm

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    I think they Yanks will end up with Freddy Garcia.
    they need a few safety nets, who knows what these kids will perform like after the increased workload this year

I don't know if you could count El Duque in that group.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I don't know if you could count El Duque in that group.
    Please explain why he is not in that group.

Undrafted Free Agent
    There is no risk involved and the mets have the money I would sign him to a minor league contract in a second.

Hall Of Fame
    Please explain why he is not in that group.
    Because it's not like Peterson worked mysterious magic on El duque to make him what he is. He's always been a good pitcher, he's just performing at a high level in his old age. Nothing against Peterson, who is a very good pitching coach, but that's why you can't include him in that group.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason View Post
    Because it's not like Peterson worked mysterious magic on El duque to make him what he is. He's always been a good pitcher, he's just performing at a high level in his old age. Nothing against Peterson, who is a very good pitching coach, but that's why you can't include him in that group.

2005 Chicago White Sox 9 9 5.12 24 22 0 0 1 1 128.1
    2006 Arizona Diamond Backs 2 4 6.11 9 9 0 0 0 0 45.2
    2006 New York Mets 9 7 4.09 20 20 1 0 0 0 116.2
    2007 New York Mets 9 5 3.72 27 24 0 0 0 0 147.2

Duque was in a down slope, he was good on the Yankees but two years removed in zona he was not looking good. How many people go out and sign a pitcher with a 6.11 ERA saying he is good. The fact is that since coming to the Mets his ERA has dropped by 2 points all while his workload increased. I think you have to give some credit to the Mets and Petereson.