Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mangini exclusive press conference

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Mangini exclusive press conference

Eric Mangini Exclusive Press Conference
    By Joe Caporoso | March 20th, 2008

A few news and notes before we get to Coach Mangini’s exclusive comments to The Coockpit -

- There is an article up at the Titans page on this site about Justin McCariens, which features input from all three of our writers. I am sure nobody is surprised how we responded when asked what we thought about old stone-hands.

- The Jets met with Darren McFadden on Tuesday, following up on their interview with him at the NFL Combine. Unfortunately the latest news is that Raiders owner Al Davis is “infatuated” with McFadden and will be pushing hard for them to select him with the #4 pick. If that scenario plays out, unless Vernon Gholston is on still on the board, expect the Jets to work hard to trade back. This draft is loaded with corners and receivers who are quality value in the 14-40 range and the Jets could use one of each.

- There are various reports that the Jets are very close to locking down a long term deal with Lavernues Coles and that he will be at voluntary workouts by early next week. The Jets want to avoid another Pete Kendall situation and Mangini loves what Coles brings to the locker room.

- The Dewayne Robertson deal with Denver is stalling again. My best bet is that Robertson is either cut on June 1st or he agrees to restructure his contract and comes back to play defensive end. At this point the Jets aren’t going to get anything higher than a 5th round pick for him.

Finally, I think most Jets fans miss Eric Mangini’s thrilling press conferences and since we haven’t heard much from The Penguin recently, I thought we should check in.

TC: Coach Mangini, it has been a busy off-season. How do you feel about your new additions?

EM: Well, we are excited about all our additions. Free agency is a function of the NFL, and we feel these players could function in our system. You look at a guy like Andre Woolfolk or Antrell Hawkins…football is important to them, and we are excited to have them compete.

TC: I was referring more to the bigger name additions to the team - Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace, etc.

EM: I like Alan because football is important to him and I want to see him function in our system. These players have the core Jet values of consistency and hard-work. Everybody needs to find a role for themselves, to be a functioning member of our system.

TC: What about the looming quarterback controversy?

EM: I like Chad Pennington, he is a quarterback who does some things well. I also like Kellen Clemens, he is also a quarterback who does some things well. Both want to start, so we will let them compete.

TC: Can you talk about the ongoing contract disputes with Laveranues Coles?

EM: I appreciate that you have to ask that question but football is a business, and a business that I can’t talk about. I feel good about Laveranues because he is an example of the core Jet values, functioning in a system that can lead us to succeed.

TC: What about Kerry Rhodes and Chris Baker asking for new deals?

EM: You know anybody can come in here and compete. You look at a guy like Joe Kowaleski who comes in undrafted and catches 2 passes for us last season. We talk about the Jets values all the time and making sure football is important to our players. They need to be consistent, versatile and be able to contribute to our system.

TC: What did that have to with Kerry Rhodes or Chris Baker?

EM: Football is a business and I appreciate those questions but we really can’t comment on our players playing football. We can talk about the system and the functions of that system, along with the core Jets values. Did I mention we were one of the least penalized teams in the league last year? Penalties aren’t a core Jets value.

TC: Coach what did you eat for dinner last night?

EM: Well when you look at it, dinner is an important thing. All of our players need to eat dinner. I mean you look at a guy like Sione Pouga, he eats dinner and works hard at finding a way to contribute and now we gave him a new contract.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mangini is so corny. :steamin:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Exclusive"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JV51;2443434]Mangini is so corny. :steamin:[/QUOTE]
    It's obviously fake.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL I like how you put "core jet values" in there like 50 times.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    :d

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised he didn't refuse to admit he was Eric Mangini. For christ sake, talk about speaking in CODE......

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JOHNNY JOHNSON;2443431]

TC: Coach what did you eat for dinner last night?

EM: Well when you look at it, dinner is an important thing. All of our players need to eat dinner. I mean you look at a guy like Sione Pouga, he eats dinner and works hard at finding a way to contribute and now we gave him a new contract.[/QUOTE]

best question and answer. Pouga is a beast

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ikeyman3;2443437]It's obviously fake.[/QUOTE]

very.. a parody of pretty much all his PC's to date. he's funny with it though..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sect313;2443444]best question and answer. Pouga is a beast[/QUOTE]

lol that's a good one. :D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JOHNNY JOHNSON;2443431]

A few news and notes before we get to Coach Mangini’s exclusive comments to The Coockpit -

[/QUOTE]

The Coockpit always seems to get the scoop.

You don't just pull dinner references out of every coach.

I wanted to see a question regarding his preparation for the role of "chubby guy eating dinner and studiously not looking at camera" in the Sopranos...and how he prepared....but the "Pouga" eating dinner reference will have to do.

Overall, I give it an "M"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;2443443]I'm surprised he didn't refuse to admit he was Eric Mangini. For christ sake, talk about speaking in CODE......[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you're joking because it's not real.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    CORE JET VALUES!!!

Haha, I love it. The last line is the best.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New York Mick;2443453]I'm guessing you're joking because it's not real.[/QUOTE]

Mainejet was voted least likely to crack joke in a 2007 JI poll.

He is always very serious.

He is serious now.

;):D
    Last edited by 32green; 03-20-2008 at 05:57 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;2443443]I'm surprised he didn't refuse to admit he was Eric Mangini. For christ sake, talk about speaking in CODE......[/QUOTE]

Heh...um, I really think that this is a fake interview. Check out the last question.

Which makes the whole thing very corny.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sect313;2443444]best question and answer. Pou[B]h[/B]a is a beast[/QUOTE]

fixed.;)

that is a good one though.:)

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    these things are always made funnier by the people that believe them..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2443504]these things are always made funnier by the people that believe them..[/QUOTE]

Maine Jet is so pissed he's looking to kill a Deer out of season..:yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;2443511]Maine Jet is so pissed he's looking to kill a Deer out of season..:yes:[/QUOTE]

Bare-handed.

Lol, I'm predicting he's got one in a headlock on his lawn with his kids pulling him by his boots screaming.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;2443463]Mainejet was voted least likely to crack joke in a 2007 JI poll.

He is always very serious.

He is serious now.

;):D[/QUOTE]

Ever been to Maine?