Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama's Passport Data Breached; State Dept Investigation, 2 Fired

Obama's Passport Data Breached; State Dept Investigation, 2 Fired

[B][SIZE="4"]OBAMA'S PASSPORT DATA BREACHED; STATE DEPT INVESTIGATION, 2 FIRED[/SIZE][/B]

[url]http://drudgereport.com/[/url]

DIRTY TRICKS FEAR AFTER STATE DEPT. FIRES TWO FOR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO BARACK OBAMA'S PERSONAL PASSPORT FILE... MORE...

Drudge report is just breaking a story concerning people [B]within our own government[/B] having been caught illegaly tampering with Obama's passport information. As of now, drudge is not offering any further details.

This is getting out of hand. Look, I admit Obama fumbled the ball with the pastor wright association. But any reasonable person has to see that something else has been going on here for a while. I cannot remember seeing such intensity to smear a candidate. I know that dirty politics are unfortunatly, part of the process. But this is going beyond campaign tricks or partisan media bias. From some of the unconfirmed rumors I am picking up this state department story could be ugly. Based on the little information that is provided, there may be evidence of government involvment in smearing Obama.

Ask yourself what the hell is going on? And why?

[B]Update from Drudge[/B]; Washington Times set to go public with this story
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 03-20-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

likely the work of typical white people......

I'd love to hear the spin on this one from the 'Obama is a racist' crowd (you know the ones that wouldn't have voted for him anyway and are desparate to grab anything they can find to justify their reasoning to vote for 4 more years of poor economy and endless war).

[QUOTE=newjakecity;2443693]I'd love to hear the spin on this one from the 'Obama is a racist' crowd (you know the ones that wouldn't have voted for him anyway and are desparate to grab anything they can find to justify their reasoning to vote for 4 more years of poor economy and endless war).[/QUOTE]

Here I thought I was worried that raising taxes was NOT the way to help the economy, and that an abrupt withdrawal from Iraq could cause more harm than good. . .

But now I know, I'm just a racist!!

Thanks for clearing that up!!:D

[QUOTE=OCCH;2443703]Here I thought I was worried that raising taxes was NOT the way to help the economy, and that an abrupt withdrawal from Iraq could cause more harm than good. . .

But now I know, I'm just a racist!!

Thanks for clearing that up!!:D[/QUOTE]

That's not what I said, but please continue to spin. That's what Repbulicans are known for ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Where's teh conspiracy?

[QUOTE=newjakecity;2443707]That's not what I said, but please continue to spin. That's what Repbulicans are known for ;)[/QUOTE]

Seeing as I'm someone that would not vote for him anyway, it sure seems that IS what you were saying.

That's the thing about spin . . . everyone is so worried their words will get taken out of context, they forget to pay any attention to the context itself.

If you're honest, there aren't many people calling Obama a racist. Moreso, it's people like myself that feel his "denouncement" was political double-speak, seeing as he COULD have spoken out against it years ago, but didn't until the fire got too hot to handle.

But then again, I know there's not much room for objective thought around this place (on EITHER side of the issue), so let's get back to our regularly-scheduled name-calling . . .:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2443630]likely the work of typical white people......[/QUOTE]

And that is why your political opinions are worthless.

Keep posting more stories about Obama's grandma, lapel pins, middle school crushes and why he likes captain crunch cereal.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 03-20-2008 at 09:04 PM.

here is the story from the washington Post that was just released;

[B][SIZE="4"]Obama passport files violated; 2 workers at State fired; 1 rebuked[/SIZE][/B]

[url]http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080320/NATION/541139809/1001&template=printart[/url]

March 20, 2008

By Bill Gertz - [B]Two State Department employees were fired recently and a third disciplined for improperly accessing electronic personal data on Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, Bush administration officials said yesterday. [/B]

The officials, all contract workers, used their authorized computer network access to look up files within the department's consular affairs section, which processes and stores passport information, and read Mr. Obama's passport application and other records, in violation of department privacy rules, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was notified of the security breach yesterday, and responded by saying security measures used to monitor records of high-profile Americans worked properly in detecting the breaches.

Mr. McCormack said the officials did not appear to be seeking information on behalf of any political candidate or party.

"[B]As far as we can tell[/B], in each of the three cases, it was imprudent curiosity," Mr. McCormack told The Washington Times.

A similar data breach took place in 1992 when State Department officials looked up data on presidential candidate Bill Clinton, in an attempt to find out information from the late 1960s, amid unfounded political campaign rumors that Mr. Clinton had sought to renounce his citizenship to dodge the draft during the Vietnam War while a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford.

That incident triggered a three-year investigation by a special prosecutor, who found that no laws were violated but officials exercised poor judgment. The 1992 search of Mr. Clinton's passport records was part of an effort to speed up Freedom of Information Act requests.

[B]One administration official said the FBI is conducting a preliminary inquiry into the officials involved in the unauthorized access incidents related to Mr. Obama, Illinois Democrat. An FBI spokesman could not be reached for comment. [/B]

Government records of political candidates are tightly restricted because of concerns they could be used against candidates or the data could be altered as part of campaign dirty tricks.

In this case, it does not appear that records were copied or altered, Mr. McCormack said.

Passport application data includes such details as date and place of birth, e-mail address, mailing address, Social Security number, former names and travel plans. Mr. Obama was born in Honolulu in 1961 to a Kenyan father and American mother. He lived in Jakarta, Indonesia, from age six to 10.

Computer-monitoring equipment detected the activities by the three employees on Jan. 9, Feb. 21 and March 14, triggering alarms in each case, Mr. McCormack said.

Mr. McCormack said the officials accessed Mr. Obama's records "without a need to do so."

"In each case, we immediately contacted our contractors, their employer, and two were fired and one was disciplined," he said.

"We have strict rules restricting access to passport records," Mr. McCormack said.

Each time an employee logs on to the passport-records network, they are informed that the records are protected by the Privacy Act and are "available only on a need-to-know basis," he said. But no technical bar prevents a person, once he is in the system, from gaining access to Privacy Act-protected records to which he has no "need-to-know" rights.

But the network has an electronic monitoring system that is tripped when an employee accesses a record of a prominent person, like Mr. Obama. The alarm then triggers an inquiry into the incident, and "when the answer is not satisfactory, a supervisor is notified."

Such records can be accessed when it is part of an official inquiry, but in the case of Mr. Obama, it was not, Mr. McCormack said.

Asked whether a political candidate or party is behind the incidents, Mr. McCormack said: "None at this point in time that we have determined."

Mr. McCormack declined to provide the names of the employees or the contract, but he said they were hired by the contractor involved in producing, processing and approving passports.

"This is supposed to be a transaction between an individual and the government, and this is private information that we take a lot of steps to protect, and we take that responsibility seriously, not only for high profile individuals but for everybody," he said.

Mr. McCormack said the incidents took place at consular affairs facilities in the Washington area.

The Fix is in! His passport goes back to his childhood!!! The republicans were trying to get info...Condi Rice denies knowing this happen until yesterday
    Happened 3 times
    Jan 19th
    Feb 1st
    March 14th

OF THIS YEAR

The Fix is definitely in

All Pro
    Minor stuff, really. Not worth more than a passing nod....

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2443759]Minor stuff, really. Not worth more than a passing nod....[/QUOTE]

3 separate times, sec of state only found out yesterday,no investigation, Obama only finding out today...

not minor at all

All Pro
    [QUOTE=maddbaron;2443764]3 separate times, sec of state only found out yesterday,no investigation, Obama only finding out today...

not minor at all[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I missing it, but what could they glean from his passport records that would be negative? A secret trip to North Korea? What?

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2443759]Minor stuff, really. Not worth more than a passing nod....[/QUOTE]

So let me get this straight. A breach of privacy has occurred where a presidential candidate's private information has been compromised. The breach occurred on three separate occasions by three different people. There has been no investigation as of tonight.

Yet, you are prepared to state with certainty that this is not an issue and nothing happened. If more people think the way you do, our country is in real trouble. seriously.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2443769]Perhaps I missing it, but what could they glean from his passport records that would be negative? A secret trip to North Korea? What?[/QUOTE]

his passport file goes back to his childhood and details every trip he took...the timing is odd jan 19, feb 21st, march 14th by 3 separate ppl and senior management and condi rice didn't know... This also happened during the 1st Bush Regime when Bill Clinton was running....
    Every passport contains a verichip that allows anyone to be located anywhere and with right equipment can be altered.

I think that this smacks of some bored government workers snooping simply because they can. What would help here is to find out who else they snooped on because then a pattern could be ascertained.

[QUOTE=LyonMtJet;2443782]I think that this smacks of some bored government workers snooping simply because they can. What would help here is to find out who else they snooped on because then a pattern could be ascertained.[/QUOTE]

3 separate ppl were bored every month around the same time ?
    Jan 19th --- Feb 21st -- Mar 14th
    Thats boredom?

Yup, that's boredom. Try working for the government sometime.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

funny thing.....two years ago staffers from chuck schiesters office illegally got hold of michael steele's social security number then illegally ran credit reports and no one barely noticed....

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/15/AR2006031502487_pf.html[/url]

[QUOTE=LyonMtJet;2443782]I think that this smacks of some bored government workers snooping simply because they can. What would help here is to find out who else they snooped on because then a pattern could be ascertained.[/QUOTE]

here is another issue; the person who is in charge of this department is the one making statements that this is just low-level snooping.

I admit that I am mad as hell right now.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 03-20-2008 at 09:30 PM.