Thread: Obama 'Typical White Person' Comment Delights Clinton Aides

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Obama 'Typical White Person' Comment Delights Clinton Aides

[QUOTE][B]Obama 'Typical White Person' Comment Delights Clinton Aides
    March 21, 2008 04:33 PM ET | Permanent Link [/B]

Hillary Clinton's strategists are delighted at what they consider Barack Obama's latest stumble in the hypersensitive world of racial politics.

Obama is drawing a new round of criticism for his comments on a Philadelphia radio sports program yesterday in which he said his grandmother is a "typical white person" who has fears about black men. He was attempting to explain a portion of his speech on race earlier this week—specifically, the statement that his white grandmother gets nervous when a black man approaches her on the street.

Obama told the radio host, "The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person, who, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know, you know, there's a reaction that's been bred in our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way, and that's just the nature of race in our society." Obama was already drawing flak for his association with a controversial preacher in Chicago who has made anti-American and antiwhite comments.

An Obama spokesman noted that the Illinois senator was trying to say that his grandmother has the same fears shared by many in her "generation."

Clinton insiders say Obama's remarks stereotyped whites in a negative way and will further alienate white working-class people around the country, including those in Pennsylvania, which holds a key primary April 22. Obama's remarks are being criticized on Fox News, NBC, MSNBC, and elsewhere in the media, keeping the controversy going. [B]Clinton strategists say it's part of a broader problem—that Obama has not been sufficiently "vetted" and there are many areas of his life and background that have escaped scrutiny and might embarrass him later.[/B]

[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.usnews.com/blogs/news-desk/2008/03/21/obama-typical-white-person-comment-delights-clinton-aides.html[/url]

how dare you question anything about messiah hussien's past actions....that's [B]CHARACTER ASSASSINATION!!!![/B]

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2445986][url]http://www.usnews.com/blogs/news-desk/2008/03/21/obama-typical-white-person-comment-delights-clinton-aides.html[/url]

how dare you question anything about messiah hussien's past actions....that's [B]CHARACTER ASSASSINATION!!!![/B][/QUOTE]

I know my father is only one person, but for people who say Obama's comments will have no effect, he said while he voted for him in the primary, he is so disgusted by him now and he lost his support. It is not so much what he said, but the absolute betrayal of the image he tried to create for himself that got my father so riled up. If you are going to act like you are so different and above politics (something we probably need) at least be consistent. If Imus bothers you so much, don't defend Reverend Wright because that makes you look like the exact person you claim you arent... a politician.

You dont want to be known as a black candidate... fine, but dont inject race into the election only when it becomes convinient and advantageous.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=mallamalla;2445993]I know my father is only one person, but for people who say Obama's comments will have no effect, he said while he voted for him in the primary, he is so disgusted by him now and he lost his support. It is not so much what he said, but the absolute betrayal of the image he tried to create for himself that got my father so riled up. If you are going to act like you are so different and above politics (something we probably need) at least be consistent. If Imus bothers you so much, don't defend Reverend Wright because that makes you look like the exact person you claim you arent... a politician.

You dont want to be known as a black candidate... fine, but dont inject race into the election only when it becomes convinient and advantageous.[/QUOTE]

outstanding post...and it was obama who injected race but qualifying his statement to "typical white people"....

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Glad to see you are so enthusiastically doing Hillary's dirty work there CBNY..

If you're successful, enjoy her come November.

Veteran
    :zzz::zzz::zzz:

Why in the world isn't this crap sticking though?

There's something so foul about that whole speech.

Enough to take down a normal candidate.

What I don't like is that the speech is an attempt to dislocate the discourse from explaining the Jeremiah Wright Fiasco and to relocate it on domestic racial relations - like we really need that right now.

Now, because "America can't afford to pass up this opportunity to embrace the race issue" - now we should all feel guilty if we don't buy into Obama?

What a canard.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=manmrmoore;2446438]:zzz::zzz::zzz:[/QUOTE]

And you would be the first person up in arms if a white man said something. Not that it matters anyway because Obama has no chance in hell of becoming president and at this point I would rather have ***** Clinton president over him and I hate her but again she has no chance in hell of becoming president so hope you enjoy four years of McCain.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=mallamalla;2445993]I know my father is only one person, but for people who say Obama's comments will have no effect, he said while he voted for him in the primary, he is so disgusted by him now and he lost his support. It is not so much what he said, but the absolute betrayal of the image he tried to create for himself that got my father so riled up. If you are going to act like you are so different and above politics (something we probably need) at least be consistent. If Imus bothers you so much, don't defend Reverend Wright because that makes you look like the exact person you claim you arent... a politician.

You dont want to be known as a black candidate... fine, but dont inject race into the election only when it becomes convinient and advantageous.[/QUOTE]

How did he defend Reverend Wright? Strikes me that he kicked him to the curb and shouldn't have. Our country is full of critics about the way things are, whether it be from the extreme right or the extreme left. Wright may be full of himself, as many big-time pastors are, but he is not saying anything that is so remarkable. In effect, we still live in a society that is unequal, where priorities are not sufficiently focused on the plight of the poor minorities, and where blacks tend to still define themselves by how whites perceive them (from Wright's point of view). Big deal. That Wright makes these points with a strident, attention-grabbing method, I personally find distasteful, but I don't see anything he has said as a call for separatism, violence, or rejection of the dream of blacks becoming full-fledged and equal members of American society. Someone would have to show me where Wright called for violence or separatism, because I couldn't find it and I did look.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2446841]How did he defend Reverend Wright?[/QUOTE]

Because the news media and right wing moonbats don't understand the definition of denounce and are a-scared that knee-jerk politics might become extinct...

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2446841]How did he defend Reverend Wright? Strikes me that he kicked him to the curb and shouldn't have. Our country is full of critics about the way things are, whether it be from the extreme right or the extreme left. Wright may be full of himself, as many big-time pastors are, but he is not saying anything that is so remarkable. In effect, we still live in a society that is unequal, where priorities are not sufficiently focused on the plight of the poor minorities, and where blacks tend to still define themselves by how whites perceive them (from Wright's point of view). Big deal. That Wright makes these points with a strident, attention-grabbing method, I personally find distasteful, but I don't see anything he has said as a call for separatism, violence, or rejection of the dream of blacks becoming full-fledged and equal members of American society. Someone would have to show me where Wright called for violence or separatism, because I couldn't find it and I did look.[/QUOTE]

If you cant see the difference between Obama's reaction to Imus vs. Wright then I dont know what else to tell you. Your miund is obviosuly made up. Again, it is not so much what Obama said that has people like my father riled up, it is the blatant disregard of the image Obama tried to create for himself, which is "I am above politics, and I am the guy who is going to change the way we view politics and the way people deal with each other". He is a farce, and if these comments didnt mean anything, why did Obama dignify them with a speech of historic proportions?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=New York Mick;2446708]And you would be the first person up in arms if a white man said something. Not that it matters anyway because Obama has no chance in hell of becoming president and at this point I would rather have ***** Clinton president over him and I hate her but again she has no chance in hell of becoming president so hope you enjoy four years of McCain.[/QUOTE]

I rather have 4 more bad years of McCain then deep voice Hillary and her so call 32 years........But i know that Obama will be the President anyway:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=manmrmoore;2447038]I rather have 4 more bad years of McCain then deep voice Hillary and her so call 32 years........But i know that Obama will be the President anyway:yes:[/QUOTE]

I really doubt I'll ever see a woman, Jewish or black president in my life time, there is a better chance of a Latino becoming president in this country first. Especially a half black, use to be Muslim that is supproted by black racist. As I said before there is no chance in hell that Obama becomes president, he is nothing more then the MTV generation's flavor of the month. Oh, a black guy for president, wow that will show everyone that I like blacks and I'm cool so I'll support him even though I have no idea what he is about or even if he is qualified, it doesn't matter he's black and black is cool right now so I'll vote for him. After all if I say I don't like him in public I'll be seen as a racist, blah blah blah. When the curtain closes people aren't going to vote for him, not Christian whites or Jewish whites so he's ****ed, with out the Jewish support you're ****ed as a Demo. He will never become president.

[QUOTE=New York Mick;2447083]I really doubt I'll ever see a woman, Jewish or black president in my life time, there is a better chance of a Latino becoming president in this country first. Especially a half black, use to be Muslim that is supproted by black racist. As I said before there is no chance in hell that Obama becomes president, he is nothing more then the MTV generation's flavor of the month. Oh, a black guy for president, wow that will show everyone that I like blacks and I'm cool so I'll support him even though I have no idea what he is about or even if he is qualified, it doesn't matter he's black and black is cool right now so I'll vote for him. After all if I say I don't like him in public I'll be seen as a racist, blah blah blah. When the curtain closes people aren't going to vote for him, [B]not Christian whites or Jewish whites so he's ****ed, with out the Jewish support you're ****ed as a Demo. He will never become president.[/B][/QUOTE]

Which is one of the reasons why I don't see anything wrong with most of what Wright said!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Blacksmurf;2447092]Which is one of the reasons why I don't see anything wrong with most of what Wright said![/QUOTE]

Thank you, it's nice to see some other then myself be honest when it comes to race.

And while i'm not a Obama supporter, let me state that a major reason I don't want Obama as president is because he wants to run a campaign that ignores race issues. It's not his fault that there is a racial divide in this country and he should not be apologetic for it. His growing up black in the U.S. should be a good thing to embrace, not fear. In an attempt to gain the nervous white vote, he felt it best to not speak on race while not completely severing ties to "radical" black America and looking like a sellout.

If he loses the nervous white vote, how is it his fault? You can blame that firmly on the media and it's spin of what his reverend said.-Just to note, the media never says that Wright was wrong in what he said, just radical-He made his speech as a way to try to get back to his platform of race not being an issue in his presidential run. Too bad for him, the media and the rightwing won't let him go back to that.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Blacksmurf;2447108]And while i'm not a Obama supporter, let me state that a major reason I don't want Obama as president is because he wants to run a campaign that ignores race issues. It's not his fault that there is a racial divide in this country and he should not be apologetic for it. His growing up black in the U.S. should be a good thing to embrace, not fear. In an attempt to gain the nervous white vote, he felt it best to not speak on race while not completely severing ties to "radical" black America and looking like a sellout.

If he loses the nervous white vote, how is it his fault? You can blame that firmly on the media and it's spin of what his reverend said.-Just to note, the media never says that Wright was wrong in what he said, just radical-He made his speech as a way to try to get back to his platform of race not being an issue in his presidential run. Too bad for him, the media and the rightwing won't let him go back to that.[/QUOTE]

Biggest problem I have with that is he's not black he is mixed, he is as much white as he is black but he still associated with black separatist. I'm guessing he had no respect for his mother or her family otherwise he would have never been part of it and condemned a long time ago but it's just a guess, I have no idea but it's not someone that I would want running the country.