Sorry if this is common knowledge among political junkies, but the question just occurred to me . . .

A lot of people are saying that, even if this race issue has a negative impact on Obama, it may be too late for Clinton to catch up anyway . . .

I understand the Math of it, but what if (hypothetically speaking) this issue affected voters that originally voted for Obama, but now no longer feel that way. Are they "locked in"?

PLEASE don't take this as an excuse for Hillary -- I'm not voting for either democrat, regardless.

I just want to understand the process better . . . wondering if there is a clause for states who showed support to a given candidate, but for SOME REASON (not necessarily this one), had a change of heart before the actual nomination at their convention.

Would they have to officially petition their legislators? I can't imagine there to be no recourse for changing affiliation before the convention . . . but I also understand what a rare occurrence that would be, so wasn't sure what the answer is . . .:confused:

Please don't respond to whether you think this WOULD happen . . . just wondering how the process is set up . . . sorry if it's a naive question . . .