Thread: McCain's pastor a sharp contrast to Obama's

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

McCain's pastor a sharp contrast to Obama's

[QUOTE][B]McCain's pastor a sharp contrast to Obama's
    Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:05pm EDT [/B]

HOUSTON (Reuters) - John McCain's Phoenix pastor, Dan Yeary, is a folksy patriotic Southern Baptist who opposes abortion and believes homosexuality to be a biblical sin, but says Christians have an obligation to love such sinners.

That puts Yeary, who heads the church attended for the past 15 years by the Republican presidential candidate firmly in the U.S. Southern Baptist mainstream, and in line with the Republican Party.

He offers a sharp contrast to Democratic contender Barack Obama's former preacher Jeremiah Wright, who has stirred controversy with his fiery comments on race and America.

Obama had been seen by some analysts as having an edge over McCain on issues of faith because of his adult conversion experience and his ease in talking about his faith. But his own preacher has proven a political liability.

In a country where religion and politics often mix, 25 percent of American adults count themselves as evangelical Christians, giving them huge influence as the country heads to the November 4 presidential election to succeed President George W. Bush.

McCain draws some support from this group but many conservative Christians are uneasy with him because of his support for stem-cell research and his past criticism of leaders in the movement.

Yeary, pastor for the 7,000-member North Phoenix Baptist Church, professes little interest in politics and prefers to focus on preaching and spiritual guidance. But McCain's affiliation with Yeary will do him no harm in wooing support from the key Republican base of evangelical Christians.

"John and I are friends, he has called on me to minister to the family in times of challenge and difficulty," he told Reuters in a telephone interview.

McCain, a former prisoner-of-war in Vietnam, was raised in the Episcopal Church but has been attending Yeary's church for about 15 years. Yeary declined to comment on McCain's reluctance to finally undergo a baptism ceremony, a key ritual of the faith.

"John and I are having continual dialogue about his spiritual pursuits," Yeary said.

In an interview last year with InsideCatholic.com, an on-line Catholic forum devoted to issues of faith, McCain said he liked Yeary's "message of reconciliation and redemption which I'm a great believer in."

"And so I began attending North Phoenix Baptist church and I'm grateful for the spiritual advice and counsel that I continue to get from Pastor Dan Yeary."

McCain, like his pastor, is staunchly opposed to abortion rights but Yeary said the pair had never discussed the issue.

"Have we talked about abortion? No," Yeary said. "I believe that abortion is wrong and I believe that it is a very, very poor choice ... I believe it should be outlawed."

The 69-year-old Yeary adheres to the Southern Baptist belief that gay marriage and homosexual relations go against Biblical scripture, hot-button issues for many in the United States.

Obama's preacher by contrast sparked howls of protest for his angry sermons over what he called racist America, charging that the September 11 attacks were retribution for U.S. foreign policy and claiming Washington was the source of the AIDS virus.

Wright was Obama's pastor in Chicago for two decades but the Illinois senator, locked in a tight battle with New York Sen. Hillary Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination, distanced himself from Wright in a widely hailed speech addressing race issues earlier this week.

Obama would be the first black U.S. president.

"In the United States, the sacred cow is the concept of the nation -- someone who is a religious minister can say almost anything they want and not get into trouble in the political realm unless they go after the nation," said David Domke, a professor of communication at the University of Washington.

Yeary was sympathetic as a fellow pastor and said while he did not agree with Wright's comments, all preachers eventually got caught in the trap of their own exuberance.

"All preachers have a tendency to overstate because our passion is so intense. But I thought Obama did a fine job in response. He preserved his friendship with his pastor while disagreeing with him," Yeary said.

"I'm sure John McCain would probably say the same thing about me if he were asked 'So, do you agree with everything your pastor says?'" he added with a laugh.

[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.reuters.com/article/vcCandidateFeed7/idUSN2043191420080322[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    "My Pastor is better than yours. :P"

"Oh? Well mine hates whitey. :D"

"Yeah, well mine hates gays [I]and[/I] whores! Ha! One upped Sucker! :P"

"Ah sht, you win. :("

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HessStation;2446497]"My Pastor is better than yours. :P"

"Ah sht, you win. :("[/QUOTE]

according to the article McCain's pastor doesn't hate gays, unlike racist rev wrighteous who hates America, whites and Israel....

now- maybe McCain's paster hates gays- but that's another story altogether...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel as if I may need to find a new pastor myself. Mine is quite lame in comparison.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2446500]according to the article McCain's pastor doesn't hate gays, unlike racist rev wrighteous who hates America, whites and Israel....

now- maybe McCain's paster hates gays- but that's another story altogether...[/QUOTE]

Of course he doesn't. Like all good Christians here merely condemns them an eternal burning of damnation in the fiery pits of Hell. And that's just the gays...
    Last edited by HessStation; 03-22-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't McCain the one who didn't want anything to do with the religious right 8 short years ago? What religion is he practicing this week?

Religion should have nothing to do with politics.

[QUOTE=HessStation;2446497]"My Pastor is better than yours. :P"

"Ah sht, you win. :("[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2446500]
    Hillary in 08!

Isn't she swell?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxZUFzGWzkY[/url]

[/QUOTE]
    Fixed.

:rolleyes:
    Last edited by CTM; 03-22-2008 at 10:03 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well one thing they have in common is that they both make their living by selling myths and superstitions to their customers

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Golferjet;2449582]Well one thing they have in common is that they both make their living by selling myths and superstitions to their customers[/QUOTE]

HERO ALERT! HERO ALERT!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Golferjet;2449582]Well one thing they have in common is that they both make their living by selling myths and superstitions to their customers[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://imreallybored.com/img/ZOMBIE_JESUS.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I hear McCains Pastor also wears an American Flag Lapel pin and puts his hand over his heart when God Bless America is being played. A real American Patriot. He has my vote. Dan Yeary for President!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2449665]Yeah, I hear McCains Pastor also wears an American Flag Lapel pin and puts his hand over his heart when God Bless America is being played. A real American Patriot. He has my vote. Dan Yeary for President!![/QUOTE]

Maybe he doesn't actually believe what his pastor is saying and goes merely for the social benefits.;)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who is running for President here? The candidates or there pastors? Why does anyone care what Wright or Yeary have to say? They won't be showing up on your ballot will they?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's only a matter of time before Yeary is exposed for visiting prostitutes and stealing money from old ladies. That's pretty much de rigeur for those phony evangelical preachers that far too many gullible americans follow like sheep. CBNY, I thought you were smarter than that. But I guess not.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2449989]Who is running for President here? The candidates or there pastors? Why does anyone care what Wright or Yeary have to say? They won't be showing up on your ballot will they?[/QUOTE]

No but believe it or not to A LOT of Americans God is the most important part of they're life.... So for people to care about what a canidates pastor is preaching in the pit, isn't really that shocking...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2449989]Who is running for President here? The candidates or there pastors? Why does anyone care what Wright or Yeary have to say? They won't be showing up on your ballot will they?[/QUOTE]

Exactly!! thats the point. Who cares what their preachers have to say. They are not running for office. And last ive checked, Obamas policies as Senator and the platform he is running on do not reflect these guys

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The candidates are running for president. But the republicans and the Clintons realized at the onset of this election cycle that they were going to have a brutal time defeating Obama (especially after Iowa). They cursed him for bringing in all these other people into this voting process, like blocks of young people. Its much easier to win elections when people who normally don't care, continue to not care. They cursed him for trying to unite a country that works better for the elites when it is divided.

So they had a plan; trash Obama on every and anything you can find. Throw enough crap on the wall and see what sticks. They had their well paid errand boys like Limbaugh and Hannity out right lie about Obama attending a Muslim school. That worked for a little while until CNN actually decided to be journalists and do their jobs. The Clintons and the Republicans gained a little with that stunt as some people still think Obama attended a madrassa. The next smear tactic was the lapel pin nonsense. Then it was constantly calling him by his middle name in hopes of appealing to people's fears after 9-11. Lets not forget the nonsense about the position of his hands durng the star spangled banner. This trashy style of "Karl Rove" politics continued with a big assist from the Clinton Trash machine.

Finally, after weeks and weeks of some of the most unprofessional acts by sean hannity, the Clintons and the republicans found something that stuck. It was Obama's pastor that gave them the dirt they were looking for. Obama did not say these racial words but that is a minor detail in their quest to smear a person at all costs. So that is where we are at.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 03-25-2008 at 11:31 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2449999]It's only a matter of time before Yeary is exposed for visiting prostitutes and stealing money from old ladies. That's pretty much de rigeur for those phony evangelical preachers that far too many gullible americans follow like sheep. [B]CBNY, I thought you were smarter than that. But I guess not[/B].[/QUOTE]

first mistake. ;)