View Poll Results: If McCain stereotyped or grouped all black people together, would he be "electable"?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, everyone would understand he's "confronting the truth" and having honest conversation

1 4.35%
  • No way, stereotyping an entire minority group together would torpedo his candidacy

22 95.65%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If McCain stereotyped or grouped all black people together, would he be "electable"?

Jets Insider VIP

If McCain stereotyped or grouped all black people together, would he be "electable"?

If McCain ever categorized an entire race's attitude together and alluded to them all being the same or acting the same, is there any chance he would be "electable"?

For example, if he ever said a "typical black person" believes this or that...
    Last edited by jetstream23; 03-24-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

is the Pope Jewish???

Hall Of Fame
    This is a trick question, right ??

yes he still would but the tree-huggers would be screaming bloody murder.

Typical white people understand how unfair this line of questioning is, because it goes without saying (ever) that it's okay for some people to generalize - but not okay for others.

All League
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2448051]If McCain ever categorized an entire race's attitude together and alluded to them all being the same or acting the same, is there any chance he would be "electable"?

For example, if he ever said a "typical black person" believes this or that...[/QUOTE]

The fact that we even use the term "electable" when it comes to Obama is because he isn't what the "typical white person" sees as a "typical black person". And that's a sterotype and conflict that some afro-americans have to deal with everyday.

The man's comments about his Grandmothers actions are being way overblown.

[QUOTE=TerryBadway;2448247]The fact that we even use the term "electable" when it comes to Obama is because he isn't what the "typical white person" sees as a "typical black person".[/QUOTE]

The term "electable" is now racist too?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=TerryBadway;2448247]The fact that we even use the term "electable" when it comes to Obama is because he isn't what the "typical white person" sees as a "typical black person". And that's a sterotype and conflict that some afro-americans have to deal with everyday.

[B]The man's comments about his Grandmothers actions are being way overblown[/B].[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. I know what he meant and what he was trying to say. Obama, for once, just didn't say something well. The point, however, is that had a similar comment come from McCain and about a minority group....NBC would have broken into Days of Our Lives with Breaking News.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2448261]The term "electable" is now racist too?[/QUOTE]

WF:
    Could you use your Mod powers to post a sticky with all the prevailing code words ??

Honestly, I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the new ones.

Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=TerryBadway;2448247]The fact that we even use the term "electable" when it comes to Obama is because he isn't what the "typical white person" sees as a "typical black person". And that's a sterotype and conflict that some afro-americans have to deal with everyday.

The man's comments about his Grandmothers actions are being way overblown.[/QUOTE]i guess we're finding out what ''the typical black person" is all about.

so is "articulate"

[quote=Warfish;2448261]The term "electable" is now racist too?[/quote]

haven't you been keeping up? everything any white man says or does when it pertains to the black man is a vailed attempt to keep the black man down. if i gave a black bum 5 dollars tomorrow at the train station somehow someway i'm being a racist.

[quote=jetstream23;2448401]Agree 100%. I know what he meant and what he was trying to say. Obama, for once, just didn't say something well. The point, however, is that had a similar comment come from McCain and about a minority group....NBC would have broken into Days of Our Lives with Breaking News.[/quote]

well it's very simple. black people can call white people cracker all day long and no one cares. as soon as a white person calls a black person a nigger al sharpton is at your door and you're being fired from your job.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2448401]Agree 100%. I know what he meant and what he was trying to say. Obama, for once, just didn't say something well. The point, however, is that had a similar comment come from McCain and about a minority group....[B]NBC would have broken into Days of Our Lives with Breaking News.[/B][/QUOTE]

Kinda like what Fox News has been doing?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2448620]Kinda like what Fox News has been doing?[/QUOTE]

That would be a news channel. NBC is a broadcast network. I haven't seen soap operas on Fox News, although Larry King might qualify as one on CNN.

All League

I said that?

All League
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2448401]Agree 100%. I know what he meant and what he was trying to say. Obama, for once, just didn't say something well. The point, however, is that had a similar comment come from McCain and about a minority group....NBC would have broken into Days of Our Lives with Breaking News.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya.....it just seems that the majority has a really hard time dealing with double standards. There are other groups that have to deal with Much harsher double standards.

[QUOTE=neckdemon;2448617]well it's very simple. black people can call white people cracker all day long and no one cares. as soon as a white person calls a black person a nigger al sharpton is at your door and you're being fired from your job.[/QUOTE]

OMG what the hell is wrong with some of you?! No racial comment is ok and none of it should be accepted, especially at work(per your example). I'm taking a leap of faith by saying this, but it's been my experience that people who use B.S. examples such as the one quoted tend to use the word nigger a lot. WTF is this a case of racism from any race being wrong or are you pissed you can't freely use racial slurs 5 times before breakfast without getting a dirty look?

There is a double standard that I don't agree with, but at least I know where it comes from. Cracker doesn't have historical and contemporary oppression attached to it as does nigger. I have no idea how cracker affects white people, which is a reason it almost hurts to write it, but most of you have no idea how much nigger can affects blacks. That should be reason enough to not want to use it.

[QUOTE=neckdemon;2448617]well it's very simple. black people can call white people cracker all day long and no one cares. as soon as a white person calls a black person a nigger al sharpton is at your door and you're being fired from your job.[/QUOTE]

If Black people brought me here in chains and tried to use the law against me for generations to keep me in my place and called me Cracker through that period as justification for putting me in my place, I might have a different view of the term and react to it in a stronger fashion than I do?
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 03-25-2008 at 07:23 AM.

[QUOTE=TerryBadway;2448915]I said that?[/QUOTE]

Sure came accross that way to me....

[QUOTE=TerryBadway;2448247]The fact that we even use the term "electable" when it comes to Obama is because he isn't what the "typical white person" sees as a "typical black person".[/QUOTE]