Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Met fans be happy; Neyer's Top 50 players for the next 5 years released

Met fans be happy; Neyer's Top 50 players for the next 5 years released

That thread title ended up being pretty long. Anyways, the Mets have 3 players in the top 7 of this list, and the overall #1 player in David Wright. They also have Beltran at #26. So start bragging away.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/previe...rob&id=3310373

Yankees have 3 players on the list in A-Rod, Cano, and, somewhat surprisingly, Melky.

The list sucks but I do agree with this quote.

he was the best player in the National League.
    The two best players IMO were him and Chipper Jones.

I am not bragging until the potential of the Mets players translates into championships.

However, I wouldn't trade Reyes and Wright for any other players in the game. Santana is a nice addition too.

That was a questionable list. I'm a little puzzled by Melky being on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    That was a questionable list. I'm a little puzzled by Melky being on it.
    Maybe he believes what Joe Sheehan of Baseball Prospectus believes:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=7053

Melky Cabrera. Cabrera went backwards in 07, but not by enough for concern. Remember that he is just 23 years old and has more than 1100 plate appearances in the majors, with average to average-plus defense (good physical tools, but very raw, takes bad routes) and a very good 129/96 K/BB. He is a mature player offensively, patient at the plate and fair on the bases (25-for-35 stealing in his career). One interesting quirk is his G/F ratio, which is 1.63 for his career and was a whopping 1.81 last season. Cabrera is listed at 511 and 200 pounds. Hes not Willy Taveras, but rather a player who should be developing power and learning how to drive the ball, rather than hitting the ball on the ground 60 percent of the time.

Im reminded of Alex Rios, who doesnt look a thing like Cabrera. Rios was largely disappointing in 2004 and 2005, hitting just 11 homers in more than 900 at-bats, with an isolated power of 117. The problem: Rios was hitting the ball on the ground too much, a 1.82 G/F in those two seasons. Starting in 06, Rios put the ball in the air more than half the time, and became a star. When you look at Cabreras body, his established control of the strike zone, and his ability to hold his own at a young age, you recognize that all its going to take is for him to start elevating the ball. Cabrera may not get there in 2008, but hes going to pop 80 extra-base hits and slug .500 in a season very, very soon.

I don't think it's a very good list in general, but the Mets do have one hell of a core with Reyes, Wright, Santana, and Beltran.

my top 10 (position only)

1. Wright
    2. Cabrera
    3. HanRam
    4. ARod
    5. Sizemore
    6. Pujols
    7. Braun
    8. Holliday
    9. Reyes
    10. Cano

I do wonder if Wright will actually be better than A-Rod for the next 5 years. Tough to say.

Nice list. Only big issue I see is it is a litlle light on pitchers who likely will easily fit top 50 billing.

I think guys like Hamels, Liriano, Maine, Joba, Cain, Papelbon easily should be on that list over the likes of Melky Cabrera, Nick Swicher, etc.

Mabey the author has a certain formula for not including young pitching yet.

Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Nice list. Only big issue I see is it is a litlle light on pitchers who likely will easily fit top 50 billing.

I think guys like Hamels, Liriano, Maine, Joba, Cain, Papelbon easily should be on that list over the likes of Melky Cabrera, Nick Swicher, etc.

Mabey the author has a certain formula for not including young pitching yet.
    I believe that the reason we don't see those types of pitchers (and there's no way I'd put Liriano on that list) is because most of those guys will never win 100 games in their career. And I don't think Maine will be a top 50 player in the next 5 years either, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    my top 10 (position only)

1. Wright
    2. Cabrera
    3. HanRam
    4. ARod
    5. Sizemore
    6. Pujols
    7. Braun
    8. Holliday
    9. Reyes
    10. Cano
    I'd take Pujols #1. The guy is a hitting machine. And he's only 27(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3 View Post
    I'd take Pujols #1. The guy is a hitting machine. And he's only 27(?)
    Yeah but if he ends up needing to miss a year because of elbow surgery, that would really hurt his stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    I am not bragging until the potential of the Mets players translates into championships.

However, I wouldn't trade Reyes and Wright for any other players in the game. Santana is a nice addition too.

so you wouldn't do reyes for a-rod straight up?

i would without a second thought

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon View Post
    so you wouldn't do reyes for a-rod straight up?

i would without a second thought
    Reyes is 24 and making nothing until 2010, A-Rod has a 300 million dollar contract until he is 42. If we really wanted A-Rod he was a FA, all it would have cost was truckloads of loot.

Reyes is 24 and making nothing until 2010, A-Rod has a 300 million dollar contract until he is 42. If we really wanted A-Rod he was a FA, all it would have cost was truckloads of loot.
    My answer is no I wouldnt...for all the reasons listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    My answer is no I wouldnt...for all the reasons listed above.

those reasons make absolutely no sense. a-rod is pretty much the best player in the game, and he's still in his prime. barring injury he has a number of very very productive seasons left in him. there is no salary cap in baseball so the contract size doesn't matter all that much. reyes for a-rod is such a no-brainer, imo.

those reasons make absolutely no sense
    Yes they do
    a-rod is pretty much the best player in the game, and he's still in his prime.
    Most players' prime years are from 25-32 years old. A-Rod is most certainly going to be a very good to great player, but he will decline like any other player with age, unless you take PED's. Reyes on the other hand hasn't even begun his prime years.
    there is no salary cap in baseball so the contract size doesn't matter all that much.
    If there is no salary cap, why didn't the Mets offer A-Rod the contract that he wanted in the offseason? All it cost was money. The fact is every team in baseball has a budget, for A-Rod's deal you can fill your team with 2-3 quality players.
    Last edited by IM3; 03-25-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Yes they do Most players' prime years are from 25-32 years old. A-Rod is most certainly going to be a very good to great player, but he will decline like any other player with age, unless you take PED's. Reyes on the other hand hasn't even begun his prime years.
    If there is no salary cap, why didn't the Mets offer A-Rod the contract that he wanted in the offseason? All it cost was money. The fact is every team in baseball has a budget, for A-Rod's deal you can fill your team with 2-3 quality players.
    You are assuming Reyes is going to be anything close to a "great hitter". I wouldn't say that now. Chances are Reyes will not be as good as A-Rod, even during his declining years.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-25-2008 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    You are assuming Reyes is going to be anything close to a "great hitter". I wouldn't say that now. Chances are Reyes will not be as good as A-Rod, even during his declining years.
    I'm not assuming anything, that is certainly a possibility, I would even say a probability, but Reyes plays a more important defensive position, and is much cheaper over the next 4 years. Reyes' trade value is higher than A-Rod's. Age/$ make this a no brainer. This has nothing to do with Reyes being a better player than A-Rod. I don't think Reyes will ever be a "great" hitter, but as long as he maintains a .350 OBP and his speed doesn't decline over the next 5 years he is going to be a very valuable player.

Money aside, I'll take A-Rod, but the 25 million dollar difference means you are choosing between A-Rod or Reyes and a guy like Beltran/Santana.

I'm not assuming anything, that is certainly a possibility, I would even say a probability, but Reyes plays a more important defensive position, and is much cheaper over the next 4 years. Reyes' trade value is higher than A-Rod's. Age/$ make this a no brainer. This has nothing to do with Reyes being a better player than A-Rod. I don't think Reyes will ever be a "great" hitter, but as long as he maintains a .350 OBP and his speed doesn't decline over the next 5 years he is going to be a very valuable player.

Money aside, I'll take A-Rod, but the 25 million dollar difference means you are choosing between A-Rod or Reyes and a guy like Beltran/Santana.
    I believe A-Rod will be more valuable over the next 5 years.