Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rev. Wright in a different light

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Rev. Wright in a different light

An interesting testimonial from a white member of Obama's church. Apparently Wright intervened when this guy's black fiance called off their engagement due to racial concerns and pressures she was feeling, and he not only persuaded her otherwise but presided over the wedding.

Does it excuse his inflamatory statements? No. But it does suggest that there's more to this guy and his ministry than what's playing on YouTube.

[QUOTE][url]www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-oped0326trinitymar26,0,2414760.story[/url]

chicagotribune.com
    Rev. Wright in a different light
    By William A. Von Hoene Jr.

March 26, 2008

By William A. Von Hoene Jr.

During the last two weeks, excerpts from sermons of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., pastor for more than 35 years at Trinity United Church of Christ on Chicago's South Side, have flooded the airwaves and dominated our discourse about the presidential campaign and race. Wright has been depicted as a racial extremist, or just a plain racist. A number of political figures and news commentators have attempted to use Sen. Barack Obama's association with him to call into question Obama's judgment and the sincerity of his commitment to unity.

I have been a member of Trinity, a church with an almost entirely African-American congregation, for more than 25 years. I am, however, a white male. From a decidedly different perspective than most Trinitarians, I have heard Wright preach about racial inequality many times, in unvarnished and passionate terms.

In Obama's recent speech in Philadelphia on racial issues confronting our nation, the senator eloquently observed that Rev. Wright's sermons reflect the difficult experiences and frustrations of a generation.

It is important that we understand the dynamic Obama spoke about.

It also is important that we not let media coverage and political gamesmanship isolate selected remarks by Wright to the exclusion of anything else that might define him more accurately and completely.

I find it very troubling that we have distilled Wright's 35-year ministry to a few phrases; no context whatsoever has been offered or explored.

I do have a bit of personal context. About 26 years ago, I became engaged to my wife, an African-American. She was at that time and remains a member of Trinity. Somewhere between the ring and the altar, my wife had second thoughts and broke off the engagement. Her decision was grounded in race: So committed to black causes, the daughter of parents subjected to unthinkable prejudice over the years, an "up-and-coming" leader in the young black community, how could she marry a white man?

Rev. Wright, whom I had met only in passing at the time and who was equally if not more outspoken about "black" issues than he is today, somehow found out about my wife's decision. He called and asked her to "drop everything" and meet with him at Trinity. He spent four hours explaining his reaction to her decision. Racial divisions were unacceptable, he said, no matter how great or prolonged the pain that caused them. God would not want us to assess or make decisions about people based on race. The world could make progress on issues of race only if people were prepared to break down barriers that were much easier to let stand.

Rev. Wright was pretty persuasive; he presided over our wedding a few months later. In the years since, I have watched in utter awe as Wright has overseen and constructed a support system for thousands in need on the South Side that is far more impressive and effective than any governmental program possibly could approach. And never in my life have I been welcomed more warmly and sincerely than at Trinity. Never.

I hope that as a nation, we take advantage of the opportunity the recent focus on Rev. Wright presents—to advance our dialogue on race in a meaningful and unprecedented way. To do so, however, we need to appreciate that passion born of difficulty does not always manifest itself in the kind of words with which we are most comfortable. We also need to recognize that the basic goodness of people like Jeremiah Wright is not always packaged conventionally.

The problems of race confronting us are immense. But if we sensationalize isolated words for political advantage, casting aside the depth of feeling, circumstances and context which inform them, those problems not only will remain immense, they will be insoluble.

William A. Von Hoene Jr. of Chicago is a member of Trinity United Church of Christ.

Copyright 2008, Chicago Tribune[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by nuu faaola; 03-26-2008 at 10:16 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still waiting for Jetsbabe to define "separatism." Seems she vanished after doing her soundbite. CBNY will obviously find a scam buried in this letter. Let's not let years of ministry override three soundbites! That would actually require us to be subtle and nuanced in our thinking, which is awfully hard for most Americans. Give us the good ol' black-and-white. So much simpler, especially if it's not in our neighborhood.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    What a guy.

In other news, Imus cared for sick black kids on his ranch.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2450575]What a guy.

In other news, Imus cared for sick black kids on his ranch.....[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying he's a great guy.

I'm simply saying that the isolated fact that he persuaded a black woman to keep her engagement to a white guy --despite her hesitations-- is at least as much "proof" that he and his church are not racist as the isolated YouTube clips are "proof" that he and it is.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2450589]I'm not saying he's a great guy.

I'm simply saying that the isolated fact that he persuaded a black woman to keep her engagement to a white guy --despite her hesitations-- is at least as much "proof" that he and his church are not racist as the isolated YouTube clips are "proof" that he and it is.[/QUOTE]

ANd what about the millions of black people who think Imus is racist? When you know he isn't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JerseyJet2007;2450593]ANd what about the millions of black people who think Imus is racist? When you know he isn't.[/QUOTE]

How do you know if he is or isnt a racist??
    I think Imus got a raw deal. But i have no clue if hes a racist or not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am one of the millions wondering why anyone cares about what Imus says about anything. The guy is a creepy DJ.

[QUOTE=JerseyJet2007;2450593]ANd what about the millions of black people who think Imus is racist? When you know he isn't.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    That must make you really hate Imus. Can you imagine treating black children like white children. Makes you sick doesn't it.

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2450575]What a guy.

In other news, Imus cared for sick black kids on his ranch.....[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2451485]That must make you really hate Imus. Can you imagine treating black children like white children. Makes you sick doesn't it.[/QUOTE]

Just as sick as you make most Americans liberal.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

from the little ive heard...........

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2450564]An interesting testimonial from a white member of Obama's church. Apparently Wright intervened when this guy's black fiance called off their engagement due to racial concerns and pressures she was feeling, and he not only persuaded her otherwise but presided over the wedding.

Does it excuse his inflamatory statements? No. But it does suggest that there's more to this guy and his ministry than what's playing on YouTube.[/QUOTE

He is only pointing out the wrong of white america, not the condemnation of all whites. (if youre in charge or benefitting from this system, then you deserve its critque) its the same why i feel, and ive taken in my daughters best friend and her sister and they are irish-italian. there is a system afoot in america that must be talked about, dealt with and eventually changed. there is no difference, like when i saw the incident in central park, where those thugs where spraying water on the girls coming thru. i just wanted someone to come and mow those nigga's down with an ak47, and im black. wrong is wrong no matter what color it is, there is a mentality that i hate among all races, if its one of control, ignorance, decete or oppression, what ever..........

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennesawjet;2451528][QUOTE=nuu faaola;2450564]An interesting testimonial from a white member of Obama's church. Apparently Wright intervened when this guy's black fiance called off their engagement due to racial concerns and pressures she was feeling, and he not only persuaded her otherwise but presided over the wedding.

Does it excuse his inflamatory statements? No. But it does suggest that there's more to this guy and his ministry than what's playing on YouTube.[/QUOTE

He is only pointing out the wrong of white america, not the condemnation of all whites. (if youre in charge or benefitting from this system, then you deserve its critque) its the same why i feel, and ive taken in my daughters best friend and her sister and they are irish-italian. there is a system afoot in america that must be talked about, dealt with and eventually changed. there is no difference, like when i saw the incident in central park, where those thugs where spraying water on the girls coming thru. i just wanted someone to come and mow those nigga's down with an ak47, and im black. wrong is wrong no matter what color it is, there is a mentality that i hate among all races, if its one of control, ignorance, decete or oppression, what ever..........[/QUOTE]

But isn't it the white mans fault when black men kill eachother?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JerseyJet2007;2451530][QUOTE=kennesawjet;2451528]

But isn't it the white mans fault when black men kill eachother?[/QUOTE]

who has said that?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2451561][QUOTE=JerseyJet2007;2451530]

who has said that?[/QUOTE]

I never said any of you said that. But thats the popular theory.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JerseyJet2007;2451566][QUOTE=piney;2451561]

I never said any of you said that. But thats the popular theory.[/QUOTE]

popular theory? from where? what source?

I am sorry but that is crazy talk....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2450571]I'm still waiting for Jetsbabe to define "separatism." Seems she vanished after doing her soundbite. [B]CBNY will obviously find a scam buried in this letter. [/B]Let's not let years of ministry override three soundbites! That would actually require us to be subtle and nuanced in our thinking, which is awfully hard for most Americans. Give us the good ol' black-and-white. So much simpler, especially if it's not in our neighborhood.[/QUOTE]

it's rather creepy the way you continually involve me in threads I don't bother posting in....

it's even better to know how I get under the skin of lunatic leftists such as yourself....:yes:

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2451485]That must make you really hate Imus. Can you imagine treating black children like white children. Makes you sick doesn't it.[/QUOTE]

Only in your simple one track mind.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2450564]An interesting testimonial from a white member of Obama's church. Apparently Wright intervened when this guy's black fiance called off their engagement due to racial concerns and pressures she was feeling, and he not only persuaded her otherwise but presided over the wedding.

Does it excuse his inflamatory statements? No. But it does suggest that there's more to this guy and his ministry than what's playing on YouTube.[/QUOTE]

This is the most unbelievable thing I have ever seen, I have changed my mind about this reverend!!!

He should be a saint, no no no he should be a pope, forget about that he should be God!!!

I'm gonna drop everything and move so I can become part of his congregation.

GO OBAMA...I am a changed man now because I now see the light!!!

I'll do all of that after I sell some more ICE to my Eskimo friend.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2450564]

An interesting testimonial from a white member of Obama's church[/QUOTE]I don't trust that persons testimonial at all, not even a little bit, not even one tiny morsal, because in my view any white person who can sit in that church and listen to those anti white/anti american rantings is obviously a self loathing white person {AKA: the worst kind of pandering leftist} and arguably sadistic as well

I don't see any other way a normal, well adjusted white person can sit in those pews and listen to that hate, much of which is directed at him and his kin

Its almost like a black man feeling comfortable at a KKK rally, or a Jew feeling welcomed at a Nazi rally .. in both cases we would think there was something seriously wrong with that individual, and that's how I view this individual as well
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 03-27-2008 at 08:09 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2451955]I don't trust that persons testimonial at all, not even a little bit, not even one tiny morsal, because in my view any white person who can sit in that church and listen to those anti white/anti american rantings is obviously a self loathing white person {AKA: the worst kind of pandering leftist} and arguably sadistic as well

I don't see any other way a normal, well adjusted white person can sit in those pews and listen to that hate, much of which is directed at him and his kin

Its almost like a black man feeling comfortable at a KKK rally, or a Jew feeling welcomed at a Nazi rally .. in both cases we would think there was something seriously wrong with that individual, and that's how I view this individual as well[/QUOTE]

Ham,

I think you're missing the point. You have no way --none whatsoever-- of knowing whether the YouTube clips or this intermarriage thing are more representative of Wright's ministry.

They are both just snippets, and the overwhelming odds are the truth is somewhere in between.

As stupid of some of what Wright says is, there's a lot in his bio that doesn't fit the profile. He was a Marine who served an optional second tour, an odd choice for an America hater, no? He was invited to the White House during the Clinton years in recognition for the charitable aspects of his ministry. Oprah attends that church, for god's sake.

He's also said some awful things, to be sure. And those things shouldn't be excused.

But you are assuming that every sermon over 20 years was like what you heard on YouTube. I think it's highly dubious whether that's the case.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2452037]Ham,

I think you're missing the point. You have no way --none whatsoever-- of knowing whether the YouTube clips or this intermarriage thing are more representative of Wright's ministry.

They are both just snippets, and the overwhelming odds are the truth is somewhere in between.

[/QUOTE]

Come on Ham get with it. Snippets are only credible when used against Republicans.