Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chelsea Clinton Claims Mom's Handling of Scandal "Not Our Business"

Chelsea Clinton Claims Mom's Handling of Scandal "Not Our Business"

[QUOTE]March 26, 2008
    [B][U][SIZE="5"]Lewinsky questioner surprised with Chelsea's response[/SIZE][/U][/B]
    Posted: 11:05 AM ET

The student who questioned Chelsea Clinton on the Monica Lewinsky scandal said he meant no harm.

(CNN) ó The college student who appeared to upset Chelsea Clinton with a question on the Monica Lewinsky scandal said Wednesday he was merely giving the former first daughter an opportunity to show how strong her mother is.

Evan Strange, a Butler University student, told CBS he is a supporter of Hillary Clinton, and meant no harm with his question about the infamous White House scandal.

"Surprisingly, I am a supporter of Hillary, I love Hillary. But when I talk to my friends, one of their constant questions to me is, 'What makes her such a strong leader?', and they always bring up that scandal," Strange said in an appearance on the CBS Early Show.

"Itís not something I asked to cause trouble, it was to show those people what makes Hillary so strong, and was an opportunity for Chelsea to show all the doubters how strong Hillary is," he added.

At an event on Butler's campus Tuesday afternoon, [B]Strange asked if the scandal had damaged Hillary Clinton's reputation.[/B] (Watch Chelsea's reaction)

Chelsea Clinton appeared taken aback by the question, saying, [B]"Wow, you're the first person actually that's ever asked me that question in the, I don't know maybe, 70 college campuses I've now been to, and I do not think that is any of your business."[/B]

The crowd immediately cheered loudly at Chelsea's response, but Strange said Wednesday he was surprised with the answer.

"I can see where she'd get a little defensive because of the question, and just hearing Lewinsky over and over again I can see why she'd react that way, but I would liked to have heard her say something about her record, or something like that, instead of just dismissing the question," he said.

Though she has faced the glare of public life since she was a girl, Chelsea Clinton has contended with renewed press coverage after taking on a more prominent role in her mother's campaign earlier this year.

The Monica Lewinsky scandal made a brief return to the news last week, when newly-released White House schedules indicated Hillary Clinton was likely in the White House during at least 6 reported instances of encounters between her husband and the former White House intern.[/QUOTE]

So.....Chelsea seems to remain off-limits to hard questions, even though she is now 27 years old, and an active and aggressive participant of her Mothers Campign.

And worse, the woman who is running on "all the experience" she had as First Lady, is apparently now using her daughter to tell us that the single defining issue of the Clinton Era is "not our business", in so far as how she handled this crisis/problem, and how it may have effected here credabillity and reputation?

How is the actions/views of the potential next President to this PUBLIC issue (sorry, but the privacy aspect went out the window when Bill got elected PResident, and did the deed on Public Property during public work-time, and then lied in a public court about it) NOT our business?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2450829]So.....Chelsea seems to remain off-limits to hard questions, even though she is now 27 years old, and an active and aggressive participant of her Mothers Campign.

And worse, the woman who is running on "all the experience" she had as First Lady, is apparently now using her daughter to tell us that the single defining issue of the Clinton Era is "not our business", in so far as how she handled this crisis/problem, and how it may have effected here credabillity and reputation?

How is the actions/views of the potential next President to this PUBLIC issue (sorry, but the privacy aspect went out the window when Bill got elected PResident, and did the deed on Public Property during public work-time, and then lied in a public court about it) NOT our business?[/QUOTE]

What was the exact text of the question asked? This article only posts a paraphrasing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I wonder how much Chelsea has "earned" on her 70 campus speaking tour

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2450829]So.....Chelsea seems to remain off-limits to hard questions, even though she is now 27 years old, and an active and aggressive participant of her Mothers Campign.

How is the actions/views of the potential next President to this PUBLIC issue (sorry, but the privacy aspect went out the window when Bill got elected PResident, and did the deed on Public Property during public work-time, and then lied in a public court about it) NOT our business?[/QUOTE]

I'm just focused on the college student that is a supporter of Hillary....It just goes to show how dilusional the youth of this country is and how morality doesn't matter anymore. Sad.

[QUOTE=JetFanTransplant;2450836]What was the exact text of the question asked? This article only posts a paraphrasing.[/QUOTE]

Theres a good reason for that. They (the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy Media;)) don't want to portray exactly the kind of dishonest overreaction Chelsea's non-answer truly was.

Put simply, the "Monica" issue/scandal, and how Hillary responded and why she respeonded that way, is absolutely fair game. Especially since the foundation of her run is her "experience" as First Lady.

I have to agree with Warfish here.

Chelsea isn't a minor anymore. She's an adult who has chosen to take an active role in a political campaign.

Questions about what Hillary calls the most trying experience of her life are completely fair game, imo.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2450863]Theres a good reason for that. They (the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy Media;)) don't want to portray exactly the kind of dishonest overreaction Chelsea's non-answer truly was.

Put simply, the "Monica" issue/scandal, and how Hillary responded and why she respeonded that way, is absolutely fair game. Especially since the foundation of her run is her "experience" as First Lady.[/QUOTE]

I dunno Warfish. Seeing how Hillary wasn't in office at the time, how she handled it between herself and her family is private, in my opinion.

Now, I believe the question stated was more along the lines of how Hillary may be "viewed" today as whether she is a "strong" person or a "weak" person. Which is a perfectly valid question... however...

My guess is that Chelsea was uncomfortable discussing anything along the Lewinsky lines... I would feel pretty uncomfortable if I was asked to discuss my fathers infidelity.

JMO

Veteran
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant;2450900]I dunno Warfish. Seeing how Hillary wasn't in office at the time, how she handled it between herself and her family is private, in my opinion.

Now, I believe the question stated was more along the lines of how Hillary may be "viewed" today as whether she is a "strong" person or a "weak" person. Which is a perfectly valid question... however...

My guess is that Chelsea was uncomfortable discussing anything along the Lewinsky lines... I would feel pretty uncomfortable if I was asked to discuss my fathers infidelity.

JMO[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The guy is an a**hole for putting this to her about her parents. I think she handled this well.

Hall Of Fame
    Warfish you think that question was appropriate or do you think the person asking it was trying to stir things up ? Its really a bull**** question and I think she did a great job answering it. It has nothing to do with the upcoming election and if they worked out the problem its them who have to live with it. It really is no business of others at this point.

Hall Of Fame
    Also warfish your take on Hillary USING her daughter does not work either. Im sure Chelsea is more than happy to support her Mom they seem pretty close. This kind of bull**** politics really needs to stop in this country. The damn kids should be off limits. Everyone has issues with there kids does not make them bad people because of it.

Hillary is running on her "experience", which is in her own words her time as First Lady.

The single DEFINING event of her time as First Lady is the Monica Lewinsky Scandal.

Asking her chosen representative how Hillary handled this scandal, and what effect it had on her (as part of her so-called "experience") is absolutely 100% legitimate. And frankly, it's about damn time SOMEONE called Ms. Clinton to the proverbial mat on this "experience" she claims to have. It's fine if she wishes to claim it, but then telling us that questions about it are "none of their business" is utter tripe.

This is not a private matter in any form whatsoever. Privacy stops when you run for the Leader of the Free World job description, and cliam your time during a previous scandal as your primary experience qualifying you to BE Leader of the Free World.

And privacy ends when the scandal in question occurs by a Public Official, on public property, with a fellow public servant (an intern at that) and ties into a very public legal proceeding in which the PResident of the U.S. lied his ass off. What part of that rings "private" to you? Suddenly folks are prudish about sex, and want it private? Thats a first for any liberal I've known.

Put simply, the question (and any other questions on that topic) are VERY valid IMO. Clintons dodging is another sign of her dishonesty rgearding her experience, and untrustworthyness. How she handled this crisis/controvery/scandal reflects on her, her personallity, her abillity to deal with diffiuclt i publci issues, and her judgement. All are valid places to inquire.

The fact that the media have absolutely softballed Chelsea is only a side-effect of this. She's 27. She's an active and willing participant in the campaign. She should not get the benifit of telling the emdia when and what it can cover at this stage, as she (and her parents) still try to do...and more often than not get away with.

clinton is utterly unelectable for a variety of reasons, this is just one of em.

her entire campaign is a desperate fraud, and Chelsea/Bill are implicit.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2451072]And privacy ends when the scandal in question occurs by a Public Official, on public property, with a fellow public servant (an intern at that) and ties into a very public legal proceeding in which the PResident of the U.S. lied his ass off. What part of that rings "private" to you? Suddenly folks are prudish about sex, and want it private? Thats a first for any liberal I've known.[/QUOTE]

Oh, Jeez...

This is exactly why I don't want Clinton in The WH. I really don't want to hear about this ****ing blowjob for another decade. God almighty...let it go. Her Dad jizzed on a fat interns dress, and you expect her to talk about it? C'mon...it has to be embarrassing as hell for her to have them two as parents. I wouldn't talk about it either.

Hell...if Dick Cheney's Energy Task Force meetings are private then presidential hummers are private also...

[QUOTE=Warfish;2451072]Hillary is running on her "experience", which is in her own words her time as First Lady.

[B]The single DEFINING event of her time as First Lady is the Monica Lewinsky Scandal.[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

That's your opinion which you are entitled to. Any person man or woman of substance while probably being deeply hurt by their spouses infedility, probably stoped defining themselves based on their spouses behavior early in their marriages.

Asking Hillary, while impolite, would have taken some balls. Asking Chelsea was an act of a coward.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 03-26-2008 at 04:28 PM.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2451166]That's your opinion which you are entitled to. Any person man or woman of substance while probably being deeply hurt by their spouses infedility, probably stoped defining themselves based on their spouses behavior early in their marriages.

Asking Hillary, while impolite, would have taken some balls. Asking Chelsea was an act of a coward.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it was the act of a Clinton supporting college student in the supposedly open-minded, free-exchange of ideas setting of a college campus.

But let me guess.....this too is a vast right-wing conspiracy? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Warfish;2451218]Actually, it was the act of a Clinton supporting college student in the supposedly open-minded, free-exchange of ideas setting of a college campus.

But let me guess.....this too is a vast right-wing conspiracy? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of cowards on both sides of the philosophical divide.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2451220]There are plenty of cowards on both sides of the philosophical divide.[/QUOTE]

The power-hungry liar Ms. Clinton first and foremost among them.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2451223]The power-hungry liar Ms. Clinton first and foremost among them.[/QUOTE]

I like my Presidents power hungry haven't seen one yet who wasn't. Haven't seen an honest one beside Jimmy.

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;2451052]Warfish you think that question was appropriate or do you think the person asking it was trying to stir things up ? Its really a bull**** question and I think she did a great job answering it.[B] It has nothing to do with the upcoming election[/B] and if they worked out the problem its them who have to live with it. It really is no business of others at this point.[/QUOTE]

Neither does what Obama's pastor has to say. Unless his pastor is running for president.

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;2451055]Also warfish your take on Hillary USING her daughter does not work either. Im sure Chelsea is more than happy to support her Mom they seem pretty close. This kind of bull**** politics really needs to stop in this country. The damn kids should be off limits. Everyone has issues with there kids does not make them bad people because of it.[/QUOTE]

First of all, Chelsea is not a kid, secondly if she's off limits, then get her ass off the stage and tell her to get a real job.