Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruben Gotay on waivers

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Ruben Gotay on waivers

Did this guy kick Omar's dog or something? He can certainly hit, can he be that bad a fielder? At 2B? Fernando Tatis makes the sqaud? This is just wierd.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is going to come back and shoot us in the foot big time.

Even last year when he started at 2nd he was killing the ball and his defense wasn't terrible. Then Omar goes out and trades for Louie C.

Just doesn't make sense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Omar's big moves have been good but his under the radar moves have all been TERRIBLE. God awful terrible.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How long would it take for him to clear waivers?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen anything in the papers that he was put on waivers. One of today's papaers said he may start the season on the DL.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21 View Post
    I haven't seen anything in the papers that he was put on waivers. One of today's papaers said he may start the season on the DL.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/met...d-be-numb.html

I think this implies he has 24 hrs to be claimed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21 View Post
    Benigno reported it on WFAN this AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    yea this is news to me. Link?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He isn't that good.

He had a nice little hot streak last year, but the Mets shouldn't act like he's more then a fringe MLer, because he's not. He can't hit Lefties, He can't play Defense, and frankly his work against Righties isn't all that great. His last 3 years in the Minors he's hit .245, .265, and .256.

Honestly, I was hoping the Mets would trade him and try to sell high on the guy, but I guess other teams are aware of what he is also.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    He isn't that good.

He had a nice little hot streak last year, but the Mets shouldn't act like he's more then a fringe MLer, because he's not. He can't hit Lefties, He can't play Defense, and frankly his work against Righties isn't all that great. His last 3 years in the Minors he's hit .245, .265, and .256.

Honestly, I was hoping the Mets would trade him and try to sell high on the guy, but I guess other teams are aware of what he is also.
    Yeah ok... How many numerous clutch ABs did he have last year for us? Sure he isn't great defensively but he could definitely use the bat. I can care less what he was doing in the minors as long as he was producing up here. This is going to come around and bite us like all the other "little" moves Minaya did. Let's not forget, he had 4.35 pitches per plate appearance, that is terrific for a bench player.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    FYI

Steve Register just cleared waivers.

Re: Gotay. It wouldn't surprise me if he clears waivers as well. I like Gotay but he isn't a necessity for the Mets right now. Tatis is a more versatile defensive player and a better option with the bat. Also, he really doesn't offer the Mets anything that Argenis Reyes doesn't.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So that means Register will stay in our system? If so

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, just read we have to make a deal with the Rockies which I can see happening for cash or a PTBNL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Yeah ok... How many numerous clutch ABs did he have last year for us? Sure he isn't great defensively but he could definitely use the bat. I can care less what he was doing in the minors as long as he was producing up here. This is going to come around and bite us like all the other "little" moves Minaya did. Let's not forget, he had 4.35 pitches per plate appearance, that is terrific for a bench player.
    Again, he had a decent hot streak last year, that quickly ran out, with an extremely mediocre career around it.

After his little hot streak was over, he hit .189 in August and .200 in Sept, but you really want to talk about all the "Clutch" at-bats he had?

Register still has to be offered back to Colorado first.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, I believe it means that Register is returned to the team the Mets selected him from in the Rule V draft (Colorado?).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just read the Mets will try and make a deal with Colorado.

And venom, he hit .356 with a .901 with RISP.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just read the Mets will try and make a deal with Colorado.

And venom, he hit .356 with a .901 with RISP.
    In 45 AB, or a negligable sample size.

His Career RISP numbers are .270 BA and .711 OPS, which isn't terribly different then his career numbers (.256 BA, .688 OPS). There's nothing there to make you think it's a trend that will continue.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't agree that Omar's been bad on little moves. Endy Chavez, Damian Easley and Marlon Anderson were all little moves. In a sense, so was Oliver Perez, a throw-in in the Nady deal. Also, whether we're talking big or little moves, let us not forget where this team was when Omar took over. I really liked the "big" Scott Kazmir deal. Victor Zambrano, where are you?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt929 View Post
    Don't agree that Omar's been bad on little moves. Endy Chavez, Damian Easley and Marlon Anderson were all little moves. In a sense, so was Oliver Perez, a throw-in in the Nady deal. Also, whether we're talking big or little moves, let us not forget where this team was when Omar took over. I really liked the "big" Scott Kazmir deal. Victor Zambrano, where are you?
    Minaya didn't make the Kazmir trade.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Minaya didn't make the Kazmir trade.
    I know--that was my point. I think Omar's doing a really good job, and he inherited somewhat of a mess, the remains of a management that did make the Kazmir deal.