Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Vogue Magazine racist?

Banned

Is Vogue Magazine racist?

When I first saw the cover, I didnt think anything of it....but in comparison with this other picture:eek:

[IMG]http://gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2008/03/Picture%2050.png[/IMG]

[URL="http://gawker.com/5004715/time-for-leibovitz-to-confess"]http://gawker.com/5004715/time-for-leibovitz-to-confess[/URL]

if that is true -why Gizelle does not show her tits?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Akf?

Banned
    [QUOTE=32green;2454567]Akf?[/QUOTE]

huh?

All League
    hahah thats funny... but nah i dont think so

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I'm moving this powder keg to politics

Banned
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2454574]I'm moving this powder keg to politics[/QUOTE]

:confused:

[quote=32green;2454567]Akf?[/quote]
    lol

All Pro
    That's such a load of bullcrap. No the cover isn't racist.

He's an athlete. He's intense. If he was holding Beyonce like that, there would be no questions.

The picture is trying to convey the intesity of sports to the soft, glamorous side of modeling.

The fact that he's on the cover of Vogue is a big deal. Isn't he only the 3rd male to be featured or something like that??

All Pro
    Oh, that poster is horrible, btw. Jeez.

Banned
    [QUOTE=TheFranchise;2454593]Oh, that poster is horrible, btw. Jeez.[/QUOTE]

I neither wrote the article or drew the poster. Take it up with them.

Whoever thought there was a resemblance is a racist -- I'm sure that wasn't the magazine.

All League
    Not initially. But then, when drawn in comparison to that specific image, it's easy to see how one can make that assumption.

Real issue at hand: Since it can be EASILY seen as racist, why did LeBron or his people allow Vogue to go forward with that image?

If everyone can see that comparison how could his people not have?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=NYSE;2454606]I neither wrote the article or drew the poster. Take it up with them.[/QUOTE]

Oh I know, just some statements from me. They weren't directed toward you.

I first heard about this from Fox Sports and it just annoyed me.

All Pro
    Good article from Jason Whitlock on the issue:

[quote]
    [B][SIZE="4"]Am I supposed to be mad about LeBron?[/SIZE][/B]
    Would someone please write a handbook? "What Will and Won't Piss Black Folk Smooth the **** Off" would be an international bestseller.

What's your take?Got an opinion on the LeBron-Gisele Vogue cover or Jason Whitlock's column? The discussion is already raging. Join in. I'm black, and I'm pissed off most of the time, but I wouldn't leave home without the handbook. Not in these racist-ly confusing times. I can barely keep up with when I'm supposed to be disappointed as opposed to offended as opposed to being pissed smooth the **** off.

Right now I need to know where this LeBron James-Gisele Bundchen-Vogue-cover controversy falls. And just who am I supposed to be mad at, LeBron, the photographer, the editors at Vogue or Tom Brady?

Maybe they're all to blame. Maybe that's the point of this whole mess. Or maybe they're just as bewildered as I am.

Cover controversy?
    Whitlock: What's the issue with LeBron?
    LeBron-Gisele cover draws criticism
    More on MSN: The shoot | The story
    According to the allegations, King James looks like King Kong clutching Fay Wray on the latest cover of Vogue, and the image, according to potential handbook writers, "conjures up this idea of a dangerous black man."

Hmm, to LeBron and his handlers, he looks like LeBron clutching a pretty white woman on the latest cover of Vogue, and the image conjures up the idea that LeBron can race up court with a basketball and a supermodel.

I agree with LeBron. The photographer captured him exactly as he is. You know, when he covered his body in tatts years ago, mimicking a death-row inmate, LeBron invited people to jump to the conclusion that he's dangerous. Yeah, that's the way the image-is-everything game is played. Ink is a prison and gang thing. Don't act like you don't know the origin of the current fad.

Vogue put a mirror in our face, and we're complaining about the reflection. Half the black players in the NBA take the court each night in front of white audiences tatted from neck to toe like they're shooting a scene for Prison (Fast)Break.

When David Stern insisted on helping these players with their image by implementing a dress code, many of the players and their media groupies screamed racism. You see, showing up to work in a white T and iced-out (heavy jewelry) was their way of showing loyalty to their boys in the 'hood, a shout-out to the corner boys and girls.

And any time someone with common sense points out that athletes are making fools of themselves and feeding negative stereotypes, he or she is shouted down as a sellout, racist or out of touch.

Jason Whitlock wants to know what you think about the important issues in sports today. Contact him here.

Just look at how much heat the NFL takes for trying to stop Chad Johnson from bojangling. This is why a handbook to clear up the confusion is so necessary. When Johnson slaps in his gold teeth, dyes and cuts his hair into a blonde Mohawk, dances a jig in the end zone and makes life absolute hell on his black coach, that is fun and good for the game.

But when King James apes King Kong it is a terrible blow to the perception of black men.

Would we be having this discussion if LeBron struck the same pose on the cover of Ebony while holding Selita Ebanks? Think about it. And if we wouldn't be having the discussion, what does that say about us? Are we only bothered by negative images of black men when the primary/sole consumer of the image is white people?

Vogue ain't for us. Tyler Perry's new movie, Meet the Browns, was produced with us in mind. It had a great box-office debut, coming in at No. 2 with a take of more than $20 million. It also broke records for negative black stereotypes and simple-mindedness.

We ate it up, and I've yet to hear much of an outcry about a romantic comedy built around a single mama with three baby daddies, her loud-mouthed, weed-smoking, gun-toting Latino best girlfriend, a deadbeat daddy, a drunk sister and a deceased father who was a pimp-turned-preacher. I could go on. This list is endless.

Rather than reading and hearing universal condemnation of Tyler Perry, the drag-queen moviemaker is being hailed as a genius for recognizing what attracts us to the movie theatre.

I'm telling you we need a handbook. We need something athletes, entertainers, black and white folks can easily refer to when deciding how to react to the images we choose to project. The chapter on rap-music videos could be studied at major universities across the globe. I'd like for Bob Johnson, the founder of Black Exploitation Television, to pen that section when he comes off the Clinton campaign trail.

LeBron James is a kid, and his talents as a basketball player and absence of a father allowed him to "grow up" rather than be "raised." His stated goal is to be one of the richest men in the world. Like Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan, he is a child celebrity interested in increasing his fame and little else.

He's in very good and very deep company when it comes to being unconcerned with and unqualified for the job of representing black men in a positive light.

Hell, given our current state of confusion, I'm not sure Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. could handle the job.

Jason Whitlock can be reached by email at [email]Ballstate68@aol.com[/email]
    [/quote]

[URL="http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7955740/Am-I-supposed-to-be-mad-about-LeBron?"]http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7955740/Am-I-supposed-to-be-mad-about-LeBron?[/URL]

I don't understand the empirical connection, the reference poster is a US Army recruitment poster during the First World War. The Gorilla is wearing a Prussian style German Army helmet common for that period. The "Kultur" phrase is German for Culture and symbolizes that German culture, something the Germans believed stood them apart in Western society was really one of brutality.

I can understand the underlying implications of the racial epithet of associating a Gorilla with individuals of African descent, but that poster's objective seems to associate the Germans with barbarous monstrosities endemic to their society, not the Germans as having "African" qualities that make them commit barbarities.

Veteran
    When my wife showed me the cover this morning, I couldn't understand why that cover would be considered racist. Lebron is an intense player and his stance and facial expression depict that. Then when I heard the comparison to King Kong carrying off a beautiful woman to the top of the empire state building, I have to admit, the first thing out of my mouth was, "well yeah, but how is that racist?" The fact that the poses were meant to look like a King Kong scene is somewhat of a compliment. After all, what was King Kong? He was a huge, intimidating, strong creature. The thing that people are all up in a tizzy about is the fact that King Kong just happened to be a huge, intimidating, strong [I]ape[/I]. They're missing the boat completely and are not just a little bit moronic. They're bordering on brain damaged.

[QUOTE=NYSE;2454558]When I first saw the cover, I didnt think anything of it....but in comparison with this other picture:eek:

[IMG]http://gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2008/03/Picture%2050.png[/IMG]

[URL="http://gawker.com/5004715/time-for-leibovitz-to-confess"]http://gawker.com/5004715/time-for-leibovitz-to-confess[/URL][/QUOTE]

I really don't know what to make of this. A part of me thinks that if you set aside skin color, this is a really clever photo. Another part of me thinks that this can be construed as offensive.

I don't know. If Lebron doesn't have a problem with it, then neither do I.

This is nothing but a publicity ploy. No one cared, no one objected, but lots of media outlets were running with this pre-fabricated controversy. And soon enough, mild discussions did ensue. I give Vogue's PR people a B-, good enough to draw attention to the issue, but in the end, it's just two celebrities on the cover of a magazine, nothing more.

Banned
    [QUOTE=TheFranchise;2454715]Oh I know, just some statements from me. They weren't directed toward you.

I first heard about this from Fox Sports and it just annoyed me.[/QUOTE]

My mistake;)

anyone think that possibly the people at Vogue started pointing the similarities out....good way to sell a lot of magazines. Nothing draws attention like controversy
    Last edited by NYSE; 03-28-2008 at 06:23 PM.