I would say Im Moderate.. or Independent leaning toward the conservative side. I do think the Republican Party has lost its way. They claim they are conservative I simply dont see it.
I think talk radio and the media has and will continue to ruin this country and further separate the 2 parties. They are the true problem weather they be conservative, neo con, or liberal . They are all negative in their message they all spew hate towards thier opposition. I think we need to work together to slove the problems we are going to face in the future. I just hope as a country we wake up and do whats best for everyone. Because we really do need to wake up.
I think the terminology "conservative" and "liberal" bear a closer examination.
Liberal or Conservative?
1. Support clear separation of church and state
2. Cherish personal liberty as a fundamental right
3. Believe that the right to privacy is inherent in personal liberty
4. Believe that there are certain rights and values that must be regulated at the national level, such as equal protection standards, rules of interstate commerce and infrastructure, environmental standards, national security, uniform educational standards, etc.
5. Believe the federal government has an obligation to its citizens to be fiscally responsible and not outspend its revenues. (Or are the Keynesians right?)
6. Believe in the fundamental right to sovereignty of all nations. Armed intrusions, covert disruption, and other methods of overturning foreign governments is a violation of our core principles of liberty. Imperialism is antithetical to a democratic republic.
7. We have a fundamental right and necessity to defend out borders and protect our way of life. Item 7 requires that if such defense takes us to foreign quarters, we must engage diplomacy, shared alliances, and negotiation as the first orders of conflict resolution.
8. We have a self-interest in protecting our environment for ourselves and future generations. If we destroy or contaminate our land, water, and air, the great experiment of democracy will be a forgotten luxury.
9. The government, whether federal, state, or local, is there first and foremost to serve the people, just as the people have an obligation to take seriously their role as citizens - to be active, interested, and willing to sacrifice to maintain our liberties and way of life.
10. The most important document in our nation's history is not the Constitution, or the Declaration of Indpendence: it is that after-effect of the Constitutional Convention called The Bill of Rights. (The other two are pretty good as well :) )
Well, that's already too many points. I guess if you put all that together I would be a good old-fashioned moderate.
[QUOTE=MnJetFan;2459122]An American Conservative, I expect everyone to carry their own weight, dont expect the government to bail you out with my tax money. Get off your ass and earn it! FREEDOM is not FREE![/QUOTE]
As long as the playing field is equal and you include corporate welfare in the form of tax abatements, bailouts and subsidies (see sugar producers) your position would at least be consistent.
Re the issue of people earning their way, should they receive unemployment benefits, social security disability, workers comp, VA disability? Or are you opposed to all forms of assistance? What about aid to children in poverty?
[QUOTE=MnJetFan;2459122]An American Conservative, I expect everyone to carry their own weight, [B]dont expect the government to bail you out [/B]with my tax money. Get off your ass and earn it! FREEDOM is not FREE![/QUOTE]