Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Carlos Delgado?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

What happened to Carlos Delgado?

I put on the Mets game yesterday, depressed that the Yankee game had been rained out, when I saw Carlos Delgado come to bat. This is the first time I had seen him this year and is it just me or did he get REALLY small? Both my friend and I had the same reaction but I wanted to hear from some Met fans that see him more. I'm not going to outright accuse the guy of having done steroids, but it looked to me that he got smaller than Giambi got that one spring when he "just stopped eating junk food."

Or am I wrong?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I put on the Mets game yesterday, depressed that the Yankee game had been rained out, when I saw Carlos Delgado come to bat. This is the first time I had seen him this year and is it just me or did he get REALLY small? Both my friend and I had the same reaction but I wanted to hear from some Met fans that see him more. I'm not going to outright accuse the guy of having done steroids, but it looked to me that he got smaller than Giambi got that one spring when he "just stopped eating junk food."

Or am I wrong?
    He was the same size he always was last year and sucked. His bat speed was pathetic and he began getting nagging injuries. He purposely lost weight this offseason in an attempt to speed up his bat and stay healthy.

If he lost all the weight last year (the first with a major crackdown) then I'd be the first to point fingers ala Pudge Rodriguez who lost like 35 lbs last year, but Delgado is just a fading player trying anything to gain his old form. If anything, he should start juicing now.

Also, Delgado hit 3 HRs in his very first ever MLB game on opening day 1993 I believe. His power was never a product of steroids. The guys is just old and sucks now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much, he came in 'lean' this year in an effort to combat his declining bat speed. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but I suppose it was worth a shot.

PS: He probably was on steroids.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    JMJ, I wasn't making this post to show that Delgado was a steroid guy or not. Honestly, I could care less if he was. I just wanted to see if I was crazy or not to think that Delgado looked a lot smaller than he used to. I was unaware that he said he wanted to lose weight to improve his bat speed, and that certainly explains things. Thanks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    JMJ, I wasn't making this post to show that Delgado was a steroid guy or not. Honestly, I could care less if he was. I just wanted to see if I was crazy or not to think that Delgado looked a lot smaller than he used to. I was unaware that he said he wanted to lose weight to improve his bat speed, and that certainly explains things. Thanks.
    NP. I didn't think you were pointing fingers. But what I said earlier still stands, whether he ever was on them in the past or not, he should hop on them now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    NP. I didn't think you were pointing fingers. But what I said earlier still stands, whether he ever was on them in the past or not, he should hop on them now.
    I thought the same thing early in the year last year about Abreu.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Delgado is by far and away my least favorite met and his presence makes it difficult for me to root for the team. He is arrogant, hates the country that made him a millionaire, shunned the mets to play for the marlins while criticizing minaya, and worse yet, the guy absolutely is a liability.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mallamalla View Post
    Delgado is by far and away my least favorite met and his presence makes it difficult for me to root for the team. He is arrogant, hates the country that made him a millionaire, shunned the mets to play for the marlins while criticizing minaya, and worse yet, the guy absolutely is a liability.
    You obviously hate him more than me but I need to see his .OBP and SLG% both go up significantly this year. I can live with 20 HRs and a mediocre .OBP & SLG% from my 1B if he is a guy who plays Gold Glove level 1B in the field. However, in today's MLB, if your guy isn't a hell of a defensive 1B you need much better power numbers than what I think Delgado is going to give us this year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Delgado played a huge part in our 2006 success. Age and injuries may have caught up with him. I won't rip him based on one bad year after he did what we traded him to for in 2006 and that's get us to the play-offs.

Ask the Yanks how easy it is to just go find a big time 1st Baseman right now. They are just not available.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Delgado played a huge part in our 2006 success. Age and injuries may have caught up with him. I won't rip him based on one bad year after he did what we traded him to for in 2006 and that's get us to the play-offs.

Ask the Yanks how easy it is to just go find a big time 1st Baseman right now. They are just not available.
    Expect a Yankee-Mets bidding war for Texeiria next offseason...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Agree with you there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'll win. We only bully small, underprivileged, impoverished teams. You bully everyone.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is arrogant
    Based on what exactly?

I'm sure the Bored comment is going to be mentioned any second now, so lets address this now.

“We’ve got so much talent, I think sometimes we get bored.” - Carlos Delgado.

Note he said "we", not "I". He was referring to the team as the whole and their lackadaisical play. I took it that he was calling out his teammates that were dogging it, considering the curious timing of it (Mid-Collapse).

He never said that he, Carlos Delgado, was bored. But like any leader worth a damn you can never seperate yourself from the group either.

hates the country that made him a millionaire,
    He doesn't hate the country, his previous refusal to stand for God Bless America was a protest of the war in Iraq. And he doesn't just hate that war, but war in general, so lets not turn this into a political thing.

For someone who supposibly 'hates the country', he is one of the most charitable players in the entire Major Leagues. He donated 50 thousand dollars to the 9/11 Police and Fireman's families.

shunned the mets to play for the marlins while criticizing minaya,
    "I feel Florida offers me a real opportunity to win a championship, which is what I'm looking for at this stage of my career,"

Being that the Mets were one of the worst teams in the league the year before (Yes, they signed Beltran and Pedro, but its hard to overlook a 71-91 record), why is that suprising?

The only other comments he made were...

"A column in yesterday's Toronto Star, which Sloane distributed to media members in New York, Florida, Baltimore and Texas, claimed "GM Omar Minaya and his assistant, Tony Bernazard . . . misplayed the race card. They approached Delgado as a fellow Latino, instead of, first, as a man. Mistake."

Delgado was quoted as saying: "At the beginning, that was their approach. It doesn't matter if you're Latin, American or Italian, if we're going to talk business, talk business. I'm not doing you any favors, you're not doing me any favors because we're speaking in Spanish. I'm a man first."

Maybe they overplayed the race card, but it's worked for them many times (Obviously) so oh well. You win some, you lose some.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't. We just blew a 137.5 million dollar wad on Johan Santana, I doubt we're going to look to spend another contract that big right away. I think we'll be more then happy as long as you take him out of Atlanta.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I don't. We just blew a 137.5 million dollar wad on Johan Santana, I doubt we're going to look to spend another contract that big right away. I think we'll be more then happy as long as you take him out of Atlanta.
    Oh keep talking dirty baby!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Yeah, but you have Delgado coming off the books.

Granted, we have Giambi, Mussina, Pavano coming off... (thank you)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

and Farnsworth, Pettitte, and Abreu...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

This is Pedro's last contrat year also so unless we resign him (which will 1,000% depend on his performance this year) we might have two huge contracts coming off the books.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    and Farnsworth, Pettitte, and Abreu...
    Abreu will get one more year if he performs well. The kids won't be ready yet.

Farnsworth, who cares. Pettitte, you never know. Wouldn't be shocked to see him come back, unless we win it all this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely the last year for Delgado.

2009 Lineup

SS-Reyes
    2B-Castillo
    3B-Wright
    CF-Beltran
    1B-
    LF-
    RF-Church
    C-Schneider