Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How come our culture is the only one allowed to be mocked?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

How come our culture is the only one allowed to be mocked?

I just got to thinking when I saw this:
    [url]http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/01/film.theloveguru.ap/index.html[/url]

How come we are the only culture that is allowed to be made fun of? I mean in almost every movie there is a fat American stereotype to be made fun of. Or there is a parody of out President. I mean there was even a movie made where they had the ASSISINATION of Bush. A cartoonist was killed just for drawing a PICTURE of Mohammed, yet we are continually made fun of.

It was just an interesting point because are we really the only culture so "ok" with ourselves that we can take the mockery?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can narrow that down further to the white Christian culture. It's open season on them (us).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2460512]I just got to thinking when I saw this:
    [url]http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/01/film.theloveguru.ap/index.html[/url]

How come we are the only culture that is allowed to be made fun of? I mean in almost every movie there is a fat American stereotype to be made fun of. Or there is a parody of out President. I mean there was even a movie made where they had the ASSISINATION of Bush. A cartoonist was killed just for drawing a PICTURE of Mohammed, yet we are continually made fun of.

It was just an interesting point because are we really the only culture so "ok" with ourselves that we can take the mockery?[/QUOTE]

I guess so. I mean, we are "better than that" I suppose...

I mean, should we get worked up about it?

I don't think so, we should be confident enough in who we are as a culture (which is very diverse) that such parodies are merely chuckle worthy, but nothing to wrinkle our brows about.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually I never identify with it when they sterotype white people. I think they're funny too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2460523]You can narrow that down further to the white Christian culture. It's open season on them (us).[/QUOTE]

Yes, because that's what Michael Moore makes films about.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2460512]I just got to thinking when I saw this:

It was just an interesting point because are we really the only culture so "ok" with ourselves that we can take the mockery?[/QUOTE]

Did you read the article you posted?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2460550]Yes, because that's what Michael Moore makes films about.[/QUOTE]

What?

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2460523]You can narrow that down further to the white Christian culture. It's open season on them (us).[/QUOTE]

We all know you have never made a joke about the French surrendering

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    its called freedom of expression

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2460560]We all know you have never made a joke about the French surrendering[/QUOTE]

Of course I have. I have probably made a joke at the expense of every nation, race, color, and creed that exists or has ever existed in the past.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they mock and make fun of God, the very one who they will stand before and who will determine their eternal destination....do you actually think they care about anything else. This culture is filled with vile perverts who can't think straight for 2 minutes at a time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2460590]If they mock and make fun of God, the very one who they will stand before and who will determine their eternal destination....do you actually think they care about anything else. This culture is filled with vile perverts who can't think straight for 2 minutes at a time.[/QUOTE]

Your gonna give me nightmares.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2460590]If they mock and make fun of God, the very one who they will stand before and who will determine their eternal destination....do you actually think they care about anything else. This culture is filled with vile perverts who can't think straight for 2 minutes at a time.[/QUOTE]

2 minutes?

I would think it would be more than that...I mean I am a little perverted being a man and I can keep my train of thought for at least..............

..............mmmmm.....bacon cheeseburger....I love how the cheese is melted just right and how the.........

.....what the hell is that song playing in my head? I know it...come on it is...........

.....did I adjust my fantasy line-up?............

......where was I?.....

......oh, yeah, I can think straight for at least ten minutes!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Crusher;2460597]Your gonna give me nightmares.[/QUOTE]

Your not alone

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2460552]Did you read the article you posted?[/QUOTE]

i don't think he did -- and he probably hasn't heard of movies like Borat, Austin Powers (1, 2 and 3), Deuce Bigalow European Gigalow, EuroTrip, Nacho Libre, Coming to America, etc...

be serious.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What Culture ? The USA is a melting Pot of many cultures . We are Different in that respect .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come on, you have to admit...the things that take place here are pretty funny.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's not about allow mocking

it's about being mature

you want to act like the Islamic community? that's lowering ourselves to their level.

We can take a joke, they can't.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Blah blah blah god blah jesus blah blah blah.

Where was these peoples god, yo : [url]http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/09/church.shooting/[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because we have a sense of humor?