Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In 30-40 years, we'll all be cannibals

In 30-40 years, we'll all be cannibals

Ted Turner on the Charlie Rose Show, referring to what will happen if we don't take action on global warming.

"Not doing it will be catastrophic. We'll be eight degrees hotter in ten, not ten but 30 or 40 years and basically none of the crops will grow. Most of the people will have died and the rest of us will be cannibals. Civilization will have broken down. The few people left will be living in a failed state, like Somalia or Sudan."

WTF?

:eek:

what's the best way to stop global warming:
    1)empty fear mongering a la Gore, Turner, etc etc etc
    2)changing the economic system to free up money for free market solutions

throwing away $1 trillion to run a worldwide empire doesn't seem like the best way to fight global warming to me.

[QUOTE=JetsCrazey;2461110]what's the best way to stop global warming:
    1)empty fear mongering a la Gore, Turner, etc etc etc
    2)changing the economic system to free up money for free market solutions

throwing away $1 trillion to run a worldwide empire doesn't seem like the best way to fight global warming to me.[/QUOTE]

Didn't you hear? The debate is over, you flat-Earther.

I study environmental politics in some depth, beleive that climate change is the most pressing issue of the 21st century, and get really angry when people subvert these viewpoints by saying something as moronic as what Ted Turner spewed.
    The absolute worst case studies I've ever seen that had any amount of credibility (Part of the problem is that weather patterns are so complex that the tools to measure it pretty much have to be flawed) predict that climate change would, by 2070, destroy 30% of the worlds total wealth (Distributed incredibly unevenly, with modern day India, the American south, and the mediterranean coast of Afrca suffering the most severe damage, the NY area wont suffer much outside of the externalities from the suffering of others) and raise sea levels enough to displace about 2.4 billion people (Coastal cities like New York could theoretically suffer, but I have to imagine that NYC warrants the construction of a sea wall). Ecologically, climate change and human development threaten, at worst, approximately 2/3 of the planets biodiversity. These numbers all sound horrible, and they pretty much are, but earth is a BIG, diverse, planet that will be home to about 15 billion people at the time these statistics measure, and any scientist will tell you that the effects of climate change will be highly uneven. Americans will certainly not be reduced to cannibalism, we'll just start making rice paddies in the mid Atlantic.
    The real issues that need to be addressed are more along the lines of, 'why don't we divert two weeks of Iraq funding into building a MASSIVE solar farm that could supply the U.S. with 65% of its electricity for the next 100 years.

[QUOTE=hamburglar;2461153]I study environmental politics in some depth, beleive that climate change is the most pressing issue of the 21st century, and get really angry when people subvert these viewpoints by saying something as moronic as what Ted Turner spewed.
    The absolute worst case studies I've ever seen that had any amount of credibility (Part of the problem is that weather patterns are so complex that the tools to measure it pretty much have to be flawed) predict that climate change would, by 2070, destroy 30% of the worlds total wealth (Distributed incredibly unevenly, with modern day India, the American south, and the mediterranean coast of Afrca suffering the most severe damage, the NY area wont suffer much outside of the externalities from the suffering of others) and raise sea levels enough to displace about 2.4 billion people (Coastal cities like New York could theoretically suffer, but I have to imagine that NYC warrants the construction of a sea wall). Ecologically, climate change and human development threaten, at worst, approximately 2/3 of the planets biodiversity. These numbers all sound horrible, and they pretty much are, but earth is a BIG, diverse, planet that will be home to about 15 billion people at the time these statistics measure, and any scientist will tell you that the effects of climate change will be highly uneven. Americans will certainly not be reduced to cannibalism, we'll just start making rice paddies in the mid Atlantic.
    The real issues that need to be addressed are more along the lines of, 'why don't we divert two weeks of Iraq funding into building a MASSIVE solar farm that could supply the U.S. with 65% of its electricity for the next 100 years.[/QUOTE]

What Ted Turner said is only slightly more outragous than what you just said.

Since global warming alarmists rely so heavily on the "hockey stick" graph, how can they be taken seriously?

All Pro
    To play devils advocate, sticking our head's in the sand and going with the status quo is not the answer either.

The way we do things, while successfully in many ways getting us to here, is not working as well any more. We are creative people; lets create.

This moron gave one billion dollars to the UN plus he married Hanoi Jane Fonda.

WTF does he know?

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    [QUOTE]To play devils advocate, sticking our head's in the sand and going with the status quo is not the answer either.[/QUOTE]

I would suggest addressing proven problems with workable solutions.

People die, in very large numbers, of starvation and disease. Things like digging wells and creating farms in impovershied areas of the globe are simple, require no leaps of scientific discovery, PhD modelling wizardry, or Academy Awards.

Not terribly expensive, either.

Of course, without trying to tax the very air people exhale, you can't really control people with this type of effort, so many politicians and social movements find it unappealing.

[QUOTE]The way we do things, while successfully in many ways getting us to here, is not working as well any more. We are creative people; lets create.[/QUOTE]

The only creativity we need to enable what I just described is destructive creativity: How do we get rid of the *******s who keep us from doing what I just offered?

[QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2461164]What Ted Turner said is only slightly more outragous than what you just said.

Since global warming alarmists rely so heavily on the "hockey stick" graph, how can they be taken seriously?[/QUOTE]

Read what I actually said, I agree with you in theory and hedged everything I said with worst case scenarios which, while bad, certainly dont amount to people eating eachother.

The global warming argument just gets in the way of a bigger issue in my opinion.

The issue is the demand for oil / energy consumption will eventually (sooner rather than later) exceed the available supply.

The development of China is going to put a strain on the worlds oil supply in the years to come. Once we get to that point , access to oil becomes a National Security issue.

That is the reason we need to be working on alternate fuels and not because some tree hugger made a damn documentary or Ted Turner thinks we are going to have to eat each other.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE]In 30-40 years, we'll all be cannibals[/QUOTE]

Why wait. Who's coming to my house for the BBQ?

I read the thread title quickly and was very excited about the possibility that in 30 or 40 years we would all be cannibis.

Since the world is going to end soon ([URL="http://www.wecansolveit.org/"]http://www.wecansolveit.org/[/URL]), may I suggest that you stock up on meat tenderizer and various seasonings.

Personally, I prefer my human prepared with a dry rub.

You'll probably want to choose the ones that lived a more sedentary lifestyle. The meat from the athletic ones is a little too tough. :yes:

[QUOTE=hamburglar;2461153]I study environmental politics in some depth, beleive that climate change is the most pressing issue of the 21st century, and get really angry when people subvert these viewpoints by saying something as moronic as what Ted Turner spewed.
    The real issues that need to be addressed are more along the lines of, 'why don't we divert two weeks of Iraq funding into building a MASSIVE solar farm that could supply the U.S. with 65% of its electricity for the next 100 years.[/QUOTE]temps dropped globally last yr(hadley ctr for climate prediction)

[QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2461102]Ted Turner on the Charlie Rose Show, referring to what will happen if we don't take action on global warming.

"Not doing it will be catastrophic. We'll be eight degrees hotter in ten, not ten but 30 or 40 years and basically none of the crops will grow. Most of the people will have died and the rest of us will be cannibals. Civilization will have broken down. The few people left will be living in a failed state, like Somalia or Sudan."

WTF?

:eek:[/QUOTE]

Just more liberal eco-whacko brilliance on display...:rolleyes:

Having your mom make your bed everyday doesn't make you smarter than Ted Turner.

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2461566]This moron gave one billion dollars to the UN plus he married Hanoi Jane Fonda.

WTF does he know?[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Damn it!!!!!!:steamin: I knew I should have dug the barbecue pit in my backyard bigger and deeper,,, wife didn't want me to ruin the flower garden. Can't wait to see her face when all the flowers are dead and I'm trying to cook the neighbors in that little pit.:cool:

I wonder if this solar-powered grill is powerful enough to cook a human leg.

[img]http://www.kitchencontraptions.com/images/solar_grill_show03_w460.jpg[/img]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2462877]I wonder if this solar-powered grill is powerful enough to cook a human leg.

[img]http://www.kitchencontraptions.com/images/solar_grill_show03_w460.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]

I like that. You could have them medium rare before they even realize they are being cooked. Be sure to serve them alot of ice water while secretly roasting a human.

Hall Of Fame
    All you can eat buffet

[IMG]http://www.gagreport.com/Funny_Pictures/Sexy%20Pics7/sexy_asses_1.jpg[/IMG]