Thread: Why more Tommy Johnís than ever before?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Why more Tommy Johnís than ever before?

I believe overuse and poor training techniques and poor mechanics have a lot more to do with Tommy John injuries than pure luck.

But why so many these days?

Hall Of Fame
    Players arms are being protected from a VERY young age is what I think. And once they hit some adversity and going over "pitch counts" it ends up being abused instead of them being used to throwing a lot of pitches.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    I believe overuse and poor training techniques and poor mechanics have a lot more to do with Tommy John injuries than pure luck.

But why so many these days?
    Poor mechanics. Too many pitchers seem to try to throw the ball too hard.

All Pro
    The surgery itself has come very far, with a much higher success rate. Some guys even claim that their arm is stronger after having the surgery. Opting to have the surgery isn't the death wish it once was.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    The surgery itself has come very far, with a much higher success rate. Some guys even claim that their arm is stronger after having the surgery. Opting to have the surgery isn't the death wish it once was.
    The only reason anyone comes out of the surgery with a stronger arm is they rehabbed more than they were exercising in the first place. The surgery is a repair not an improvement over the original.