Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Help with baseball stat abreviations

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    1,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Help with baseball stat abreviations

    Hi. I'm tracking the Twins game with MLB gameday and I need help with some of the abreviations and I can't figure out how to find the info on the page. I know you guys will know...

    AB At bats
    R runs? (player actually scores?)
    H hits
    RBI runs batted in
    BB
    SO
    LOB left on base (player was left on base or left others on base?)

    Just learning the lingo, thanks.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    2,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    Hi. I'm tracking the Twins game with MLB gameday and I need help with some of the abreviations and I can't figure out how to find the info on the page. I know you guys will know...

    AB At bats
    R runs? (player actually scores?)
    H hits
    RBI runs batted in
    BB
    SO
    LOB left on base (player was left on base or left others on base?)

    Just learning the lingo, thanks.
    R - correct
    BB - walks
    SO - strikeouts
    LOB - left OTHERS on base

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    6,870
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kate..very important to understand the Phil Rizzuto way of keeping a scorebook.

    Along with those you listed, Phil's most famous one was:



    WW = Wasn't Watching.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Milf = Middle Inning Left Fielder

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,565
    Post Thanks / Like
    BS. contrary to what we all belive is Everything that comes out of putzfagtx's
    mouth is blown save, wp wild pitch, cs caught stealing

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    1,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unearned runs

    What does unearned runs mean? Is it when a run is scored by an error or a sacrifice? I googled it and didn't quite get the answer, just how they impact era. Thanks.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Back Home!
    Posts
    8,768
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    What does unearned runs mean? Is it when a run is scored by an error or a sacrifice? I googled it and didn't quite get the answer, just how they impact era. Thanks.
    Basically, it's a run allowed that is not the pitcher's fault. So yes, it wont effect their ERA.

    Mostly errors play in this.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,050
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KellenIsTheFuture View Post
    Basically, it's a run allowed that is not the pitcher's fault. So yes, it wont effect their ERA.

    Mostly errors play in this.
    exactly, for instance if there are two runners on base with two outs and the pitcher induces an easy ground out from the batter. If a fielder has an error and extends the inning then how ever many runs are scored the rest of the inning are not charged to the pitcher b/c theoretically the inning should have been over.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    6,473
    Post Thanks / Like
    is it me or wasnt there this same exact thread last season?

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    1,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    But this is my baseball help thread.

    So if there are two outs and two runners on base and the batter hits a dribbler right to the third baseman but the third baseman boofs it and the runners all advance...any runs scored after that in the inning would be considered unearned? What if the pitcher give up a homerun? That still doesn't affect his ERA?

    The era really isn't my question...the first run for the twins tonight was scored on a sacrifice fly. They called it an unearned run. But it wasn't an unearned run because of the sac fly, it was because that baserun was able to stay on base do to a fielding error. He should have been out, so unearned run, doesn't affect pitcher. I think I got it.
    Last edited by Kate; 06-18-2008 at 11:21 PM.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    6,473
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    But this is my baseball help thread.

    So if there are two outs and two runners on base and the batter hits a dribbler right to the third baseman but the third baseman boofs it and the runners all advance...any runs scored after that in the inning would be considered unearned? What if the pitcher give up a homerun? That still doesn't affect his ERA?

    The era really isn't my question...the first run for the twins tonight was scored on a sacrifice fly. They called it an unearned run. But it wasn't an unearned run because of the sac fly, it was because that baserun was able to stay on base do to a fielding error. He should have been out, so unearned run, doesn't affect pitcher. I think I got it.
    yea you pretty much got it and sorry didnt relize this was the same thread, but hey atleats im paying attention...

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    7,576
    Post Thanks / Like

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like
    BB = Bases on Balls (walk)

    I know someone already expained it was a walk but it helps to know how they get the abrieviation BB from WALK

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    But this is my baseball help thread.

    So if there are two outs and two runners on base and the batter hits a dribbler right to the third baseman but the third baseman boofs it and the runners all advance...any runs scored after that in the inning would be considered unearned? What if the pitcher give up a homerun? That still doesn't affect his ERA?

    The era really isn't my question...the first run for the twins tonight was scored on a sacrifice fly. They called it an unearned run. But it wasn't an unearned run because of the sac fly, it was because that baserun was able to stay on base do to a fielding error. He should have been out, so unearned run, doesn't affect pitcher. I think I got it.
    If there is an error with 2 outs, anything that happens after that is unearned. If the pitcher gives up back to back homers, still unearned, because the inning should have been over.

    The guy who scored on the sac fly probably reached on an error, so he's unearned since he never should have been there in the first place.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Kate..very important to understand the Phil Rizzuto way of keeping a scorebook.

    Along with those you listed, Phil's most famous one was:



    WW = Wasn't Watching.
    TG = Tomato Garden
    JSHR = Jet stream Home Run. That's a fly ball that got caught in the jet stream and became a home run.

    Man.. I miss Phil doing the games.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    If there is an error with 2 outs, anything that happens after that is unearned. If the pitcher gives up back to back homers, still unearned, because the inning should have been over.

    The guy who scored on the sac fly probably reached on an error, so he's unearned since he never should have been there in the first place.
    On the flipside if an error occurs with two outs and a reliever comes in to the game after his runs ARE earned, while the team picks up the unearned runs.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    1,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    On the flipside if an error occurs with two outs and a reliever comes in to the game after his runs ARE earned, while the team picks up the unearned runs.
    Ahhh so that could explain why some bullpen pitchers eras are so high. He is going into a situation with 2 outs and the bases loaded, he may get stuck with the bill. I see.

    Thanks everyone...I appreciate the help. I know I could google more and search a little harder for the answers I'm looking for. But asking you guys is like calling your brother when your car breaks down along side the road vs calling a tow truck. If that makes any sense. Thanks!
    Last edited by Kate; 06-19-2008 at 10:40 PM.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    Ahhh so that could explain why some bullpen pitchers eras are so high. He is going into a situation with 2 outs and the bases loaded, he may get stuck with the bill. I see.

    Thanks everyone...I appreciate the help. I know I could google more and search a little harder for the answers I'm looking for. But asking you guys is like calling your brother when your car breaks down along side the road vs calling a tow truck. If that makes any sense. Thanks!
    If a reliever comes in with people on base, and they score, they go on the previous pitcher's ERA. Relievers can have a high ERA for 2 reasons.
    #1 one real bad game can take monthes to work off when you only throw 3 innings a week
    #2 They can just be real bad, that's why they don't start.

    another abbreviation you should know. GUTT

    Give Up The Twins

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us